Axe-Fx II Technical Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Cliff.
I remember you said that you use the Axe Fx with a VHT 2:50:2 poweramp live. Is still your favourite combination with the Axe Fx II? I ask this because I have the vht poweramp and maybe is not worth with the Axe II. Maybe with a SS poweramp I can do the same with less money. Are diferences like "move more air" a little different "feel"...?

Question about spillover & midi controllers

Hello there in the US, I got a few minor questions that I hope someone will be able to answer :

Will spillover be managed differently in AXE FX2, especially regarding for example volume jumps in case of using multiple REVERBS & DELAYS in the patches to be linked ?
Can spillover be inhibited/activated per patch or will it remain a global setting like in the Axe FX/Ultra ?

Will it be possible to have multiple controllers of a variable, example : will it be possible to have one expression pedal control the level of the amp and with a second expression pedal control drive AND level of that same amp ? etc etc..

I suggest there will be some editor interface for the computer, will there be a page/view showing all active/parametered midi controllers of a patch ?

Thanks & regards,

Hello there in the US, I got a few minor questions that I hope someone will be able to answer :

Will spillover be managed differently in AXE FX2, especially regarding for example volume jumps in case of using multiple REVERBS & DELAYS in the patches to be linked ?
Can spillover be inhibited/activated per patch or will it remain a global setting like in the Axe FX/Ultra ?

Will it be possible to have multiple controllers of a variable, example : will it be possible to have one expression pedal control the level of the amp and with a second expression pedal control drive AND level of that same amp ? etc etc..

I suggest there will be some editor interface for the computer, will there be a page/view showing all active/parametered midi controllers of a patch ?

Thanks & regards,

Spillover implementation is the same, has been stated somewhere.

Regarding the newly added "TYPE" Parameter for some of the effects like the chorus, Phaser, Flanger and the likes.
Are there plans to add even more types over time or is the list of possibles types mostly complete? I assume the types cover the best or most common/popular pedals available for each effect right from the beginning.

Perhaps more on the technical side of things. Are these types only predefined parameter values most closely matching the pedal being modeled or is there something extra in the background code that makes each type unique, I assume, like the overdrives, distortions and fuzz Types in the drive block?

You can attach a parameter in a patch to only one controller. If your MIDI pedal can have one expression pedal send value changes on CC#X and the other expression pedal send value changes on both CC#X and CC#Y then what you want is possible. But within the Axe-Fx II there's no facilities to make what you want happen.

Axe-Edit is being updated to support the Axe-Fx II -- it runs on Windows and OS X. Not sure about the page view for assigned controllers. I'll check. I don't think so though.

You can attach a parameter in a patch to only one controller. If your MIDI pedal can have one expression pedal send value changes on CC#X and the other expression pedal send value changes on both CC#X and CC#Y then what you want is possible. But within the Axe-Fx II there's no facilities to make what you want happen.

Aiaiai, why the heck I never thought about that..you potentially just solved my issue with the ULTRA, thanks - will check immediately tonight !

Axe-Edit is being updated to support the Axe-Fx II -- it runs on Windows and OS X. Not sure about the page view for assigned controllers. I'll check. I don't think so though.

WOW, I guess this will also be the point where Axe Edit will definitely quit the Beta era ? Anyway, it already is appreciable, even in Beta version...
Thanks for your fast answers.

Tried to do a search on wiki regarding Axe Fx II but didn´t find anything about it. At best a vague answer from Cliff about the modifiers in general being the same (compared to std/ultra).

Is the envelope follower/adsr only reading from input 1 left? (as if I recall correct it does on std/ultra).
@Cliff: do you think it will ever be possible to have something similar like a placeable envelope follower/adsr within the grid?

Thanks!

/Mike

Sorry if you have already answered this question, but I don't have time at the moment to read the whole thread. Does the II have more parameters that can be controlled in real time?
I'm not an axe owner yet, I've just been checking out the Axe Edit to try to learn my way around. So I was wondering if the II has more controllable parameters than what shows in Axe Edit.

Read somewhere within this thread that the II at least got the horsepower to have that. But don´t recall if all been implemented yet...

From earlier in this thread:

...The knobs reassign themselves on the fly as you page through parameters. It's really cool. Someone should put up a video of that. In short, the big knob works like it always has -- it operates whatever parameter is highlighted. Then, it doesn't matter which parameter the big knob is assigned to; the other four knobs automatically assign themselves to the remaining parameters on the screen from left to right. This happens super-fast, on-the-fly, and quickly becomes second nature for the user. Also all front knobs have a rubberized coating making them very easy to move.

It's faster than the editor because you're not mousing to knobs and then adjusting them, you just hit "page" and grab the knob you need. That fast, that simple. The editor has a bigger visual space and may be faster on the layout page, but it's now slower for doing fast edits of block parameters...

Hope this hasn't already been asked but i'm just wondering how the X/Y configurations are handled within axe-edit visually?

Has anyone here tried one of these? It seems like a cool idea, but I have to think that, in the absence of real amp-to-guitar feedback, the guitar's output will still decay, and signiicantly affect the tone.

I tried this plugin a few years ago - it sounds quite bad.

Can the effects loop send and return be independently routed?

I use my VG-99 in input 2, as per the layout I went through earlier in this thread, but would still like to use output 2 for W/D/W or an independently adjustable desk send without cutting back my rig.. ATM, the effects loop is the first block in my signal chain and set to thru so that it's just like changing a guitar with my existing signal chain. The other work around would be to have a second send and return so that I could route back to the start of the chain without being limited to a single row of effects.

What do the four Quick Control knobs and X/Y buttons do (if anything) while on the Recall screen?

Nothing. However the X, Y buttons can be mapped to menus while in the recall screen. I have mine mapped to amp 1 and delay 1. When in the recall screen if you hit X or Y it will take you directly to those block. The ABCD buttons will be linked to where you last used the block. I have mine set so when I hit the X button it takes me to the amp block knob = type, A = Drive, B=bass C= mid, D = treble

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom