Axe-Fx II Technical Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bump ;-)

When you were tweaking the Hiwatt model comparing it with the real amp, which Hiwatt DR100 amp did you use, early 70's or later? Later they started using half of one of the preamp tubes to add another stage of gain, so the Hiwatts before this were more clean, and just in my opinion, better sounding.
Just curious, and good info for when I do the A/B testing with my Hiwatts.
Thanks!

Not sure if this was directed at me but I have a 1974 Hiwatt DR-103. The model is based on that. It is one of the Harry Joyce, Hylight era models. Still has the original tubes. Closet find and sounds glorious.

Not sure if this was directed at me but I have a 1974 Hiwatt DR-103. The model is based on that. It is one of the Harry Joyce, Hylight era models. Still has the original tubes. Closet find and sounds glorious.

That is awesome!! Despite the awesomeness of the Axe, there is some sweet mojo in those old tube amps!

Hi Cliff,

Just wondered if it would be possible to add a 6db/oct slope on the filter block. I truly believe that this would help any FRFR users tame some of the top end without the cut being too severe and killing things too much.

In my studio I always dial in presets that I like however when I get up to band volume I always find myself having to block from 7500hz-8500hz which is fine however sometimes to you lose some of the 'air' in the tone so a longer slope would be really cool.

Thanks

Spence

Any thoughts on this? Cheers

I've lost count on how many ways there are now to trim the high and lows in the II. The ones in the new cab block and what I have been using with great results, (for me). But there are so many ways. You could trim a little off every step of the way if you want. The amp block now has built in graphic EQ too. My global EQ will stay as close to flat as possible now.

Larry

I've lost count on how many ways there are now to trim the high and lows in the II. The ones in the new cab block and what I have been using with great results, (for me). But there are so many ways. You could trim a little off every step of the way if you want. The amp block now has built in graphic EQ too. My global EQ will stay as close to flat as possible now.

Larry

Thanks Larry, AxeFX II is certainly shaping up to be an amazing bit of kit!

I'm not Cliff, but I think you'll find PEQ's used to block frequencies are no longer as necessary (if at all) but if still find it so, there is a "Low Cut" and "High Cut" in the actual cab block now.

Just an FYI, those parameters are in the standard and Ultra as well. What is new is the GEQ in the amp block.

Just an FYI, those parameters are in the standard and Ultra as well. What is new is the GEQ in the amp block.

D'oh. That's what I was getting at. Need sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep... gonna be a long day. I'll try to not answer too many tech questions today.

There's a high and low cut in the CAB block of the Standard and Ultra? If so, I've totally overlooked that in the past. I would have never used a PEQ block had I seen those. Can someone confirm?

D

There's a high and low cut in the CAB block of the Standard and Ultra? If so, I've totally overlooked that in the past. I would have never used a PEQ block had I seen those. Can someone confirm?

D

I don't remember seeing these unless they were added in v11. Maybe Java is referring to the Amp block? I'm at work at the mo so can't confirm.

FRFR not used in sound implementation? or used later?

A Mesa 4x12 with my Carvin F1200 power amp. The patches were dry because I do A/B comparisons using an A/B box. I run the cab stereo and put the amp being modeled into one side and the Axe-Fx II into the other side. I run my guitar to the A/B box. One output to the amp and one to the Axe-Fx. Then I can quickly switch back and forth to verify the model is working properly.

I dont mean at all to stir up a can of worms but I am still trying to wrap my head around this whole thing. What happend to FRFR? At some point in the process is then the mesa 4x12 and carvin compared to an frfr setup. Because the Axe is supposed to model speaker cabs and power amps as well? I am sure Im missing something, but cliff do you eventually ab a high end frfr system to the original? thanks again sorry if I just dont understand.

I dont mean at all to stir up a can of worms but I am still trying to wrap my head around this whole thing. What happend to FRFR? At some point in the process is then the mesa 4x12 and carvin compared to an frfr setup. Because the Axe is supposed to model speaker cabs and power amps as well? I am sure Im missing something, but cliff do you eventually ab a high end frfr system to the original? thanks again sorry if I just dont understand.

This setup was being used in the context of A/B testing a particular amp simulation against the actual amp. When doing any kind of experimentation, it is good to isolate the specific variable(s) that you are trying to look at. As it is not possible to run an actual physical power amp through a cabinet simulation, running both through a real cabinet is the only way to get a fair comparison between them. If one assumes that, however good, the cabinet simulations are not a perfect representation of the original, using an actual guitar cabinet for both the physical amp and for the amp simulation is the only way to make sure that any oddities that you hear with the amp simulation are due only to the amp simulation itself, and not to the cabinet simulation or to some interaction between the amp sim and the cabinet sim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom