Axe-Fx II Technical Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) With regard to Bucket Brigade devices....does this mean the Axe Fx Ultra II will finally showcase the classic Roland Dimension D chorus ?

2) The ad-da conversion on the Ultra is great...They were touted as being on par with expensive converters..apart from the improved signal to noise ratio..was anything else improved with the new converters ?

1) There's no model at the moment but there could be in the future. The models are more generic than that, i.e. Stereo Analog Chorus.

2) Same converters as the Ultra. The analog I/O before and after the converters is all new. Better design IMO.

Regarding the soft knobs on the front panel, is there any zippering when adjusting amp parameters while playing?

Thanks for answering questions Cliff!

Curious why there is only 1 expression pedal jack on the Axe-FX II. I have (and love) the MFC, so it's not an issue...just curious.

Would a good application of the X/Y settings be to use X for recording and Y for live, having the same patch for each application but slightly different values for parameters to make small adjustments that suit each application? Is that the sort of thing it's intended for? If I'm understanding it right, that'll be very handy.

Unity Gain ?

a) Yes, it is room simulation.

b) Mic models are still in there.

c) See (a).

Cool!!! I can't wait to hear that. The fifty-2048 point IRs (ten times the IR memory) was a great feature to add too.

Am I to understand correctly that adjusting the input trim with an amp block in the preset wil not change the gain or the amount of distortion produced by the amp block or the output volume, only the signal noise ratio? That's the only way I can see this being a unity gain device if it's modeling non-linear systems. Otherwise wouldn't the volume go down as the trim is turned up once an amp was heavily saturated?

If that's the way these digital pots and unity gain set up work all I can say is *way cool*. If not, I'd love to know how they work.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Again, thanks for taking the time cliff.

Quick question and sorry if it's off topic but in regards to the looper, are there any plans or is it even possible to model an 1/2 speed parameter with this feature? Thank again, can't wait to pick up the AXE II!

The new integrated 8-band graphic is interesting. Where is its position in the amp sim, or can it be moved around? Can it replace the TMB tone stack?

MIDI questions:
1. How is MIDI integrated with the USB and MFC interfaces?
2. Does (will) Axe-Edit use the USB connection as a faster MIDI path, or is the command structure independent of MIDI?
3. Currently anything that Axe-Edit controls can be controlled via a MIDI track in my DAW, does that change?
4. For parameters that can be adjusted cleanly today from the Axe-Fx front panel (e.g. tone controls on an amp block) but cause audible transitions when changed via MIDI, has that situation changed? I'm interested in what happens with Axe-Edit and with other external controllers.

Will it be possible to configure a Global Amp without having to already be in the Global Setting you want to save to? In other words, can you make an amp block and just start turning knobs, then think to yourself "hmm, I like what I'm hearing, I think I'll save this as Global Amp 4!" and then be able to save that amp block's current settings to Global Amp 4 without already being in Global Amp 4?

Or does the old method still apply where you just write down all the settings with a pen and paper, then you manually enter them after you're done copying them down?

How many lines of code are in the Axe II?

Perhaps not a useful answer for any of us, but certainly a chance for you to show off what a coding badass you are.

Magnetics via the front input, check.

Are piezos OK via one or both back inputs (alone or simultaneously with the front input magnetics)?

On the Standard and Ultra, the back inputs were expecting LINE level signals, while the front input was expecting Instrument-level signal levels.

Are the buttons clicky or silent? :)
What is the method of assigning the quick control knobs?

Thanks Cliff for all the answers!

They are clicky.

The five knobs (the value knob too) are indicated on the edit page of whatever block you are looking at. They move with the courser too. It's very intuitive and cool.

In the ROTARY effect, have you added any of the following parameters:

1) High Rotor acceleration and deceleration (with individually adjustable curves);
2) Low Rotor acceleration and deceleration (with individually adjustable curves);
3) High Rotor maximum/minimum rate; 4) Low Rotor maximum/minimum rate,
or 5) at least added individual Rate parameters for the High Rotor and Low Rotor?

These parameters are necessary to really do a good job of emulating aged/differently maintained or customized Leslie speakers.

[I know that some of the functions can be somewhat simulated using Controllers on the Rate parameter, but having some dedicated controls would make things a LOT easier.]

Thank you VERY much for taking the time to answer some of our many questions, Cliff!

Myself and probably the others building foot controllers would like to know the gory details of the MFC Ethernet port. Is it TCP/IP with Power Over Ethernet or is it some proprietary protocol/pin out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom