Axe-Fx II Technical Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will the Pitch block be optimized (or dedicated block) for using for drop-tuning (similar to a morpheus)? I use this a lot for live playing with mixed results....would be nice to see a block that is streamlined to do just this.

Hey Cliff, one of the big quirks about patch making, for me, was that the delay and reverb (time based post effects, really) blocks were difficult to volume match. Every time you adjusted the mix knob in one of those blocks, you had to adjust the block’s level knob as well to bring the overall volume back to where it was. To counter this, I would, for example, split the signal just for one delay block which would go into its own row, where the signal would go into the delay and then reintegrate with the main signal immediately after that, then I’d turn the delay block’s Mix to 100% and set the bypass mode to Mute In, then use the delay block’s Level control like a traditional mix knob.

Is there a way to bypass this process in the Axe-Fx II, so if you want to just add a simple delay or something without worrying about readjusting multiple levels, you can do that? Is there a way to link the delay block’s Mix parameter with the block’s Level parameter, so your dry signal level always stays at the same volume, no matter where your Mix knob is set?

Last edited:
Can I use the front-mounted instrument input simultaneously with the L/R Input 1 inputs on the back? Would it be possible to, for example, send a magnetic pickup output to the instrument input and an unbalanced piezo output to the L/mono balanced Input 1 jack? If so, can each signal have it's own separate effects and outputs?

How many banks and patches can you have?
What are some new effects?
Any improvements to the synth?
Do you wake up in the morning, look at yourself in the mirror and just smile at how awesome you are?

Are there as much improvement to the effects section as to the amp models?? I love the models but the effects are what sold me on the ultra. Is it a noticeable difference???

Anyway, I'm kind of confused about how comparing works in the Axe-Fx II. Can you compare entire patches you've just edited with a dedicated "compare" button that switches from the edited to previously-saved versions of patches, and/or can you directly compare edited/unedited blocks within a patch?

and

Does the Ultra 2 have a "compare" function enabling comparison of an edited preset with the stored preset which to me, was a critical oversight on the Ultra?

I'm wondering this too - I don't see a dedicated COMPARE or UNDO button on the front. You could kind of fake this using the X/Y buttons, by modifying one channel and leaving the other as the saved version to compare to, but unless I'm missing something, that will only work as long as you only intend to use one channel - once you have two different stored settings, you won't be able to use one to "buffer" the other.

I'm hoping the STORE page has been improved to allow toggling between the edited preset and the stored preset (or to compare to a different preset before overwriting it).

Yes, BUT...

There's now a MIN and MAX that are the actual parameter values. For example, if you want to change the delay time from 500 ms to 700 ms you simply set MIN to 500 ms and MAX to 700 ms. So 0% corresponds to 500 ms and 100% corresponds to 700 ms.

So it sounds like the modifier system is still absolute rather than relative, and there's still no way to modify a modifier. The Min/Max thing is a big help, though.

*hand in the air*

Cliff, could you break down the "TYPE" control perimeter?
Explain a little more about the G2 and VVT.
And anything new in the bass amp department?
Thanks. :)

The third channel on the USB output (to the computer) is the raw data from the Instrument Input. You record this. You then play this track back into the AFXII and set the Input Source to USB. Then tweak until you get the sound you want. When you are happy, record the first two channels which are the processed audio. You can save the raw track if you want to go back later and reamp the track again.

WOW...this is brilliant!

Hey Cliff, one of the big quirks about patch making, for me, was that the delay and reverb (time based post effects, really) blocks were difficult to volume match. Every time you adjusted the mix knob in one of those blocks, you had to adjust the block’s level knob as well to bring the overall volume back to where it was. To counter this, I would, for example, split the signal just for one delay block which would go into its own row, where the signal would go into the delay and then reintegrate with the main signal immediately after that, then I’d turn the delay block’s Mix to 100% and set the bypass mode to Mute In, then use the delay block’s Level control like a traditional mix knob.

Is there a way to bypass this process in the Axe-Fx II, so if you want to just add a simple delay or something without worrying about readjusting multiple levels, you can do that? Is there a way to link the delay block’s Mix parameter with the block’s Level parameter, so your dry signal level always stays at the same volume, no matter where your Mix knob is set?

Well I'm not Cliff, but I doubt it. What you described is adding effects in parallel to the dry, and that's pretty much the best (and only way) to do what you want. This how it's been done for decades.

Does the MFC-101 data appear at a virtual MIDI port on Mac/PC?

Suppose I use the Axe-FX II as my main audio interface with a DAW (Ableton Live8), while simultaneously using the AxeFX II for my guitar tones. Can I change Axe-FX II presets without interrupting the DAW audio out?

Are you asking if the MFC-101 can control midi signals to DAW and Program changes to the AXE-II at the same time?

My Plan was to use the recording functionality LIVE. The MFC-101 > CAT 5> Axe-FX II >OUT 1 FOH and Monitors
________________________________________________________________________> USB> Laptop DAW (Reaper - PRo Tools)

The MFC would just change my patches. The Midi ports would not be used.

Last edited:
Time Sync Question...

Will the Axe-FX II act as MIDI clock source for other devices to slave off of?

I have had a complete run around nightmare trying to get the Axe-FX and other devices to sync MIDI Clock AND use a MIDI Foot controller at the same time, it would be solved if the Axe-FX could act as the MIDI Clock source.

Thanks

Since metal is my primary music interest, are the high gain amp models still well represented?

+1trillion----someone says you have gotten rid of hair, and metal; any reason? any new high gain super amps, ie. 6505 plus, engl, framus, etc. etc. ie. will us high gainers be as happpy?

What parameters are in the new CAB block?

a) Can you tell a little bit more about it, is it some kind of 'Room effect'?

b) No more mic model - or is it an extra block now?

c) Any chance to create that 'Amp in the room sound' - instead of the usual 'control room sound' - are all included IR's close mic'ed ones?

a) Yes, it is room simulation.

b) Mic models are still in there.

c) See (a).

Can you use the instrument and input 1+2 at the same time or does plugging into the front defeat the rear?

Also could tell us about the new display screen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom