Axe-Fx II Technical Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are the drive models more advanced than in the previous version? What is the easiest way to stream an mp3 from a PC to jam along without a mixer?

How does this unity gain thing work and what does it mean for the 4 cable method?

The II has digitally controlled potentiometers before and after the A/D and D/A converters. Therefore it knows what the input and output gains are. It compensates for these gains in the digital path. This allows "unity gain processing". If you set the Output Level knob to maximum you will get out what you put in (assuming the blocks have no gain).

So if you were to make a preset with shunts from input to output and you put a 1V signal into the unit you would get 1V out.

This means no-muss, no-fuss when doing the 4CM.

1) Where are the input knobs - how can I change the input level now?

2) What parameters are in the new CAB block?

3) Is there an acoustic guitar sim (or IR) included?

4) Can we name the user IR's?

5) Can we name the amp and effect models?

1. The "Input Knobs" are now soft knobs in the I/O menu since the input levels are controlled via digitally-controlled potentiometers.

2. Room Level, Room Size, Mic Spacing, Low Cut and High Cut.

3. Not at this time.

4. Yes. The sysex data contains the name of the IR and is displayed.

5. No.

Cliff, with the inclusion of USB for reamping etc. how come the unit is still locked out to only working digitally at 48K? I've never understood this decision as it's a sample rate that one would only ever possibly be working in if they were creating content for DVD, why not the option to operate at 44.1 or 88.2?

Why did you leave digital i/o at 48khz?

Same reason as before. If you want a different rate, let your computer resample. Modelers always have a native sample rate. If they are offering different output sample rates then they are just resampling. Modern software resamplers are better.

Are the drive models more advanced than in the previous version? What is the easiest way to stream an mp3 from a PC to jam along without a mixer?

Hook up the USB and play the MP3. The MP3 will mix into the Axe-Fx II output. Adjust the volume of the MP3 to set the mix. I do this all the time now.

Cliff, with the inclusion of USB for reamping etc. how come the unit is still locked out to only working digitally at 48K? I've never understood this decision as it's a sample rate that one would only ever possibly be working in if they were creating content for DVD, why not the option to operate at 44.1 or 88.2?

It's 48kHz and it's an extremely common rate for recording. Your DAW can convert to any rate you like.

What parameters are in the new CAB block?

2. Room Level, Room Size, Mic Spacing, Low Cut and High Cut.

a) Can you tell a little bit more about it, is it some kind of 'Room effect'?

b) No more mic model - or is it an extra block now?

c) Any chance to create that 'Amp in the room sound' - instead of the usual 'control room sound' - are all included IR's close mic'ed ones?

1. How many amp models can the Axe-Fx II's firmware theoretically hold compared to the Axe-Fx Ultra's?

2. What is the Axe-Fx II's patch grid layout? 4x12 blocks like the original Axe-Fx?

Cliff, Can you tell us about the effect modeling and a hint on what units. Also now that the unit has Usb will it be able to load reverb IR's in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom