Axe-Fx II Technical Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
what was removed? i read some amp models but what about features, maybe speaker drive, warmth/thump etc...

How many spindlehertz can I expect from the new huffendrones?

(well, i'm not much of a tech guy!) :lol

- is it made in USA?
- did you still use hi-quality parts?
- how's the built in audio interface dealing with latency?
- how does it "create" sound, are there dedicated drivers or does it use ASIO? in other words, is direct monitoring possible?
- can i use the USB port to ensure communication between axe and axe-edit only?

cheers
S.

Last edited by a moderator:
what was removed? i read some amp models but what about features, maybe speaker drive, warmth/thump etc...

Some of the amp models have not been ported yet. As with the original Axe-Fx we will be offering free firmware upgrades with new amp models, features, etc.

Speaker Drive is gone from the cab block but the amp block has an all-new speaker drive simulation.

Warmth and thump have been removed because you don't need them. The new modeling is really cool.

Other than that nothing has been removed but a whole lot of stuff has been added.

Simple one! How would you compare the realism of the amp sims of the ultra vs. Axe 2. Let's say Ultra was like 85% there, is the Axe 2 that much different, do we compare a Ford to a Rolls Royce here? Thanks!

Hey Cliff, about the four knobs on the front. Will it be possible to do something like this:

Edit Amp Block
set "X" set of knobs to something like Bass and Treble for the top two, then Mid and Gain for the bottom two knobs
set "Y" set of knobs to something like Depth and Presence for the top two knobs and, I don't know, Sag and Master for the bottom two knobs
and now while we're editing the amp block, we can press the X or Y buttons to instantly switch the knobs back and fourth to control the values we've just assigned to them for super-fast editing?

Are modifier start/mid/end points still adjusted in percentages?

Will Ultra presets load in any way into the new unit? I'm sure they won't, but I figured I'd ask.

Is it possible to use the digital input with analog output 1 (and simultaneously digital out)?

Can in- and output 2 be utilized while using the digital input?

Tell us about the new analog/nonlinear modeling in thing like the wah, phaser, flanger, chorus, etc.

- is it made in USA?
- did you still use hi-quality parts?
- how's the built in audio interface dealing with latency?
- how does it "create" sound, are there dedicated drivers or does it use ASIO? in other words, is direct monitoring possible?
- can i use the USB port to ensure communication between axe and axe-edit only?

S.

Made in USA

Parts quality is better than original model.

The "built-in" interface is limited only by the host computer.

The USB is Audio Class 2.0 compliant. On a Mac you don't need to install any drivers but you do need to install the firmware loader for the USB chip (it is a "soft" processor and downloads its code from the host on start-up). On a PC you also have to install the Audio Class 2.0 drivers. The driver supports ASIO, SRC, etc. etc.

You can use the USB just for remote control via Axe-Edit if you want. You don't have to use the audio features.

can the user change cap, resistor values in any of the modelled circuitry?
change type of phase inverter?
swap transformers?
swap tube types?
cloth wire or teflon coated solid or stranded? ;)

I know, I dreaming but I'd love to have one virtual amp where I could do all of that.
AXE III maybe?

Simple one! How would you compare the realism of the amp sims of the ultra vs. Axe 2. Let's say Ultra was like 85% there, is the Axe 2 that much different, do we compare a Ford to a Rolls Royce here? Thanks!

100%. Seriously.

Will Ultra presets load in any way into the new unit? I'm sure they won't, but I figured I'd ask.

Yes, BUT...

There's now a MIN and MAX that are the actual parameter values. For example, if you want to change the delay time from 500 ms to 700 ms you simply set MIN to 500 ms and MAX to 700 ms. So 0% corresponds to 500 ms and 100% corresponds to 700 ms.

The preset protocol is entirely new and incompatible. Perhaps a translator could be developed someday.

Yes, BUT...

There's now a MIN and MAX that are the actual parameter values. For example, if you want to change the delay time from 500 ms to 700 ms you simply set MIN to 500 ms and MAX to 700 ms. So 0% corresponds to 500 ms and 100% corresponds to 700 ms.

The preset protocol is entirely new and incompatible. Perhaps a translator could be developed someday.

Since metal is my primary music interest, are the high gain amp models still well represented?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom