Axe-Fx II Technical Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Per my above posts, I did a different test last night. I went through several of the stock presets, all which sound great. When using the headphone jack the volume can only be set very low (in the 7 to 9 oclock range - almost full left). Any higher and it's just too loud in the headphones. But if I want to record one of those presets with the Duet2, then in order to get enough output through the balanced out into the -10db line (the most sensitive) input on the Duet2, then I have to turn the Output 1 knob (same as headphone volume) up to around 1 o'clock (just like on the Ultra). It works perfectly, but then I can't use the headphone jack because it's way too loud (so I use the Duet phones out which is perfect). I'm sure everything is working correctly because all my Duet2 settings are about the same. Perhaps there is a way to make independent level settings in the software for the headphone jack and the outputs on the back. They seem to be tied together and not matched well. The Output 1 level knob on the far right doesn't effect the USB volume however (only the internal levels in the preset effect this on the Utility volume level status).

I'm guessing he's referring to plugging the guitar into the wah-out and plugging the wah-in into the
amp for the "Echoes" seagull effect rather than reversing the sweep...

Yes, it is absolutely the connection i meant.

I'm also guessing "no" for the answer, but it's early...

a little pessimist ? ;)
i think it's early to say "no" for the answer too..

Last edited:
Hi Scott. Thx. I have no problem with the USB when recording. It's fantastic. After another two hours of testing I think (I repeat, I THINK) I have narrowed down an issue. It's a playback issue. The Axe II USB records perfectly. The following happens with the buffer all the way up or down: (i) play back over USB to Axe II and to headphones - I hear about 15 random hiss clicks through headphones on Axe II, and when I hear one and back up the cursor the click doesn't happen again, so it's random and part of the playback process, (ii) when I change the output in logic to line out (my bose speakers on my computer), there are NO clicks at all during playback and (iii) when I change the output in logic to my new Duet2 USB interface, there are NO hiss clicks during playback.

So for now I can only conclude that the Axe II is recording perfectly to Logic Pro 9, but there is an issue with playback to the Axe II. Some sort of memory, software or buffer issue is coming up which doesn't happen with my Duet2 or internal computer output. It's specific to the Axe on playback only. The clicks are random and not super loud, but you can hear them.

Thx for listening. If anyone has thoughts, please let me know. I'm willing to try other tests.

I've got the same issue using the audio interface from the Axe FX II. When playing back audio whether it be from Logic, Garageband, iTunes or the internet streaming I am running into these pops / clicks / static type sounds. I am also hitting problems with drop outs (the music cuts out for about 300 ms). I've tried everything and not hit this problem before. I have a preset with nothing in it so the CPU usage is down. I know I am not overloading the Axe FX II. My machine has plenty of memory and system resources. I've had no issues with M-Audio, Apogee etc. but I do hit this issue. I am using a Mac.

Axe2 static clicks over USB input

I've got the same issue using the audio interface from the Axe FX II. When playing back audio whether it be from Logic, Garageband, iTunes or the internet streaming I am running into these pops / clicks / static type sounds. I am also hitting problems with drop outs (the music cuts out for about 300 ms). I've tried everything and not hit this problem before. I have a preset with nothing in it so the CPU usage is down. I know I am not overloading the Axe FX II. My machine has plenty of memory and system resources. I've had no issues with M-Audio, Apogee etc. but I do hit this issue. I am using a Mac.

Could others who own an Axe2 and use a Mac play a soft tune through iTunes, Logic and other apps into the Axe USB and see if you hear very subtle static pops? Connect headphones to the Axe2, select a low CPU preset (like a shunt) and just listen to the track coming in over the USB. I compared it to my Duet2 USB and speaker headphone out and those were perfectly clean. I also rebooted on a different drive, installed the driver, and go the same problem with Axe2 but not other outputs. I'm going to try to find another mac computer and do one final test.

The quality of the recording from the Axe2 USB is EXCELLENT!!! I want to get rid of my DUET2 but I use backtracks and need a perfect signal coming in. I can't see why the Duet2 USB has no clicks when playing iTunes but the Axe2 does. So strange.

Ok, I'm posting this here because I got no response in the general forum:

Is there a way to set up the Axefx2 "globally" so that whenever a patch has a wah in it, my external controller2 will handle the wah functions. In other words, for every preset in the AxefxII, do I need to go into the wah edit screen and set it up so my external2 pedal controls the wah sweep or is there a way to do it once and have the pedal automatically be the wah for each preset with a wah in the chain?

I'm just trying to save some time if there's a better way than doing it on a preset by preset basis.

thanks,
Steve

Not when editing via the front panel.

With Axe-Edit it should work as a saved effect.

Hello, I have a new axe 2, I have loaded the new software. Prior to loading it, the unit froze, I think during xy changes during editing. Tonight, after some time playing and using axe edit, I went over to the unit, the output dial did nothing, I turned off the unit and it is frozen. As stated in my posts it freezes and the lights for a p, and nothing else happens. I have tried holding down recall and booting and nothing. My axe edit crashed as well. It wont start up now. I am worried. This is brand new bedroom use only no abuse never brought anywhere, barely touched, maybe 4 hours total use. please help. This should not be happening.

Hello, I have a new axe 2, I have loaded the new software. Prior to loading it, the unit froze, I think during xy changes during editing. Tonight, after some time playing and using axe edit, I went over to the unit, the output dial did nothing, I turned off the unit and it is frozen. As stated in my posts it freezes and the lights for a p, and nothing else happens. I have tried holding down recall and booting and nothing. My axe edit crashed as well. It wont start up now. I am worried. This is brand new bedroom use only no abuse never brought anywhere, barely touched, maybe 4 hours total use. please help. This should not be happening.

Have you contacted support?

Has the 4x12 30w been removed from the stock cabs? It's not mentioned in the manual.

A few questions about the stock cabs (to document in the wiki):

- 1x12 EMI Open Back (JM): is this a far-field IR?
- 1x15 Thunderbolt: it's not indicated as such in the manual but this probably is the Red Wirez Thundebolt IR?
- 2x12 Doubleshow (JM): any details?
- 4x12 German V30 (RW) and German Boutique (RW): on which cabinets are these based, one is probably Engl and the other?
- 4x12 German 4x12 (Fractal): Bogner or Engl?
- Any information which mics were used to capture the RW and OH IRs, or are these "neutral" (TC30) IRs?

Thanks

Yes. The same three IRs I contributed to the Gen 1 Axe-Fx are in the II. They are all farfield.
Typo. This is a Redwirez IR and is shown as such in the editor.

Last edited:
Reactions: yek

- 1x15 Thunderbolt: it's not indicated as such in the manual but this probably is the Red Wirez Thundebolt IR?
- 4x12 German V30 (RW) and German Boutique (RW): on which cabinets are these based, one is probably Engl and the other?
- Any information which mics were used to capture the RW and OH IRs, or are these "neutral" (TC30) IRs?

Thanks

I've asked about what mics were used for OH's and RW's and so far no info. I assume they are the TC30's. Hopefully we can get an official answer from someone.

Thanks

4x12 German 4x12 = Bogner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom