Axe-Fx II Technical Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question about reampling.
Once you have processed your two tracks and the track dry in your DAW, you change the USB to charge.
But there are only two audio channels so or to monitor the master of the DAW or bags DRY signal for processing.
O In the AXE II enter the two signals, the MONITORING of DAW and dry signal.
Is that in this case would be 3 input channels.
Or, how the this issue in the AXE II, is that I have no clear explanation, you have given in the first pages.
In the Spanish forum fx ax what we are discussing and not to any conclusion.Con the information we have.
Could you elaborate on how to reampling and how it works. Cliff
Thanks

I have... it's an OK'ish toy once you get the hang of it.
I don't see why would you want to generate artificial feedback when you can get the real thing easily.
Just face the speaker and push some volume!

;)

I (as well as others here, probably) would want to create controlled feedback quickly, like in a sustainer pickup, but without having to replace my neck pickup to achieve this. This is a great effect I would use all the time! Feedback without the insane volume! (unless you like it...)

Just got an email in with attention to this topic in this thread, so wanted to jump in for a sec here...

Reverse engineering of pretty much any kind of digital property is almost always illegal. In my case, it is as it's a direct violation of the EULA ( OwnHammer.com - End User License Agreement ), something of which Cliff is not in bad standing of any kind. ;)

Until the proverbial cat is let out of the bag from the man himself, it is no one's right but Cliff's to disclose this info. Until that green light is presented, my lips must remain sealed. Sorry guys, I'm sure it won't be too long now though until everyone can find out for themselves when they get their shiny new Axe-Fx II. :)

Oh, and with regard to the reference mic topic, I'll add that in hopefully 2-3 weeks I'll be finished updating all my current libraries to have the TC30, it's been a bear working that in with everything else but it's almost all finished.

Kevin,

I didn't mean reverse engineering as in ..., stealing intelletcual property .... What I meant was, did you and Cliff work out some sort of process to remove the coloration of the Mic you captured in your IR, so we will be able to use the different Mic sims built into the Ax2 .... That's all ....

I'm no engineer myself ( well, duh ), but at the same time I didn't realize the concept of what I was trying to explain was that abstract either ....

Sorry !

But I think you can see where GuitarDojo wasn't answering what I was asking ....

No worries! :)

In essence what you're describing is one of the reasons why myself, Mike, Cliff, Jay, and anyone else making IR's for the Axe-Fx (I or II) would be using the TC30. It's designed to have an extremely flat frequency response, not adding to the sound but capturing it as neutrally as possible. It can stand to sound great on its own, mixed with other mics, but the nature of its transparency provides a sonic base for what Cliff has created in the additional mic modelling for the Axe-Fx units. No additional work would be necessary to accomplish this, just utilization of the TC30 mic as you can do now with the Standard and Ultra. Nothing new or magical to achieve those ends.

Hope this helped clear that up a bit!

Last edited:
In essence what you're describing is one of the reasons why myself, Mike, Cliff, Jay, and anyone else making IR's for the Axe-Fx (I or II) would be using the TC30.
Just for the record, my test mics are an ACO Pacific and a Bruel and Kjaer. If I were buying a test mic now - mine were both purchased many years ago - Earthworks would be a strong candidate.

Ah, thanks for the info Jay! :) More or less, and might I amend my words for the sake of clearing possible confusion of those less familiar with what a TC30 is/does, what I meant to say was "why one would be using the TC30 or reference style mics similar to it for this specific application".

Question about reampling.
Once you have processed your two tracks and the track dry in your DAW, you change the USB to charge.
But there are only two audio channels so or to monitor the master of the DAW or bags DRY signal for processing.
O In the AXE II enter the two signals, the MONITORING of DAW and dry signal.
Is that in this case would be 3 input channels.
Or, how the this issue in the AXE II, is that I have no clear explanation, you have given in the first pages.
In the Spanish forum fx ax what we are discussing and not to any conclusion.Con the information we have.
Could you elaborate on how to reampling and how it works. Cliff
Thanks
I'm not sure I understand your question. If you're asking how to reamp with the Axe-FX II, you would record the dry signal to your DAW via USB. Then play back the dry signal, either analog or USB, into the input of the Axe II. Set up the Axe II for a tone you like, and you can record the new output from the Axe II.

A Mesa 4x12 with my Carvin F1200 power amp. The patches were dry because I do A/B comparisons using an A/B box. I run the cab stereo and put the amp being modeled into one side and the Axe-Fx II into the other side. I run my guitar to the A/B box. One output to the amp and one to the Axe-Fx. Then I can quickly switch back and forth to verify the model is working properly.

Cliff (or others that know the answer), is it only possible or reasonable to make a direct comparison of the Axe II (or Ultra for that matter) to a real amp when using a power amp and cab (i.e., when "moving air")? I record direct and don't have a power amp and cab. I'm a huge fan of Fractal, so please don't take this the wrong way, but it seems that it's hard to imagine the Axe will be 100% as the real thing when recording direct. I'm sure it's absolutely amazing with the Atomic power amp/cab, and I will try it some day. I'm just wondering if I should be able to get the same tone recording direct or playing through monitor speakers (dynaudio). I have a real amp ('64 AC-30TB) and there is something about the open, rich bell tone, "warmth" and "loudness" (not referring to volume here) that I can't seem to get when using the model and recording direct with the Ultra. Will the Axe II help in this regard? Of course, it may be me and I'm not setting up the amp, cab, EQ, reverb etc. correctly to get that "big, lush" tone. I can only describe it as something missing when recording direct. Thx in advance.

With USB signal direct to the computer. I just want to make sure I understand. This would render recording boxes such as the Apogee Duet and the M-Audio Mbox II and such unnecessary if only used for Recording the AxeFX II?

What if I want to record an external keyboard, electronic drums or voice? will it be possible to send the signal through the AxeFX II and keep a good signal quality or would those external recording interfaces be preferable?

I have a real amp ('64 AC-30TB) and there is something about the open, rich bell tone, "warmth" and "loudness" (not referring to volume here) that I can't seem to get when using the model and recording direct with the Ultra. Of course, it may be me and I'm not setting up the amp, cab, EQ, reverb etc. correctly to get that "big, lush" tone. I can only describe it as something missing when recording direct. Thx in advance.
To get a big, lush tone, you need some volume in the room where you're playing. A lot of the dynamics, tone and feel come from the guitar reacting to its own amplified sound. Without that room volume, even a "real" tube amp will sound and feel lifeless, whether recording or live.

Will the Axe II help in this regard?
Yes and no. It will get you as far as any amp will, but it's no substitute for room volume (see above).

With USB signal direct to the computer. I just want to make sure I understand. This would render recording boxes such as the Apogee Duet and the M-Audio Mbox II and such unnecessary if only used for Recording the AxeFX II?

What if I want to record an external keyboard, electronic drums or voice? will it be possible to send the signal through the AxeFX II and keep a good signal quality or would those external recording interfaces be preferable?
Yes and yes. All versions of the Axe-FX have high-end input electronics. The Axe-FX II gives you an interface to send the signal from those electronics to a digital output.

Yes and yes. All versions of the Axe-FX have high-end input electronics. The Axe-FX II gives you an interface to send the signal from those electronics to a digital output.

Hmm that means i could sell my mbox2 and mic pre and still record vocals through the axe, very tempting indeed.

Hmm that means i could sell my mbox2 and mic pre and still record vocals through the axe, very tempting indeed.

Pretty sure you'd still need a preamp for the mic to run into the axe. But the axe fx II could take the place of your audio interface into the computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom