Axe FX II + Roland VG-99 = Axe FX III

Well, I hook the VG-99 up L and R outputs straight in the Axe backside inputs. I tried to connect them by SPDIF but I couldn't because of the sample rate. Axe 48.000Hz 24bits Vs. VG-99 44.100Hz 24 bits so, @A to the T, How could you connect them?? I'd rather use digital outputs but I don't know how to do it... Thank you man!

I connected them and they work fine. However, when I playback audio from my pc through the Axe FX it appears that the recording is pitched down about a half step. So yes, I am stuck in sample rate hell. Lol.

I agree with Clarky's statements. I want to add that for anyone who is using the FC-300 with an Axe, and you also own a VG-99, I found that the VG serves nicely as an interface using the RRC2 (cat5) cable. Control continues via standard MIDI over to the Axe. I haven't noticed and problems with latency. Because the VG is sending sysex messages back to the FC-300, I see an annunciation of the patch on the display. I couldn't live without some of the patches my VG-99 is capable of, so I used the VG Library to arrange the patches to coincide with the AxeII. In other words, both are producing presets that are paired-up , but only one is heard at a time. Switching between the two is done using a Boss FS-6 to control a custom audio signal switch. (stereo balanced audio) One of the few trendy songs I do is Hotel California. The VG provides a wonderful 12-string guitar for that. In short, The VG-99 has a unique sound the the Axe can't match.
I also stand with Clarky when he says "don't want to start a pissing contest.." WE DON'T! I adore my AxeII! But I have to say, when in combination with the VG-99, We're talking even MORE music power.

Well I hvae the FC300 and could not use it in RRC2 mode with the VG-99 any longer because the one bug with the VG is that all its midi through messages that are sent to the Axe are momentary and NOT latched. No way to latch. So I had to go FC-300 midi into Axe and have Axe send midi thru to VG-99. sucks because I lose the proprietary controls and patch naming that comes with the RRC2

You connect an RCA from the SPDIF out of VG into SPDIF IN of Axe and go to I/O of Axe FX and set Main INput Source to SPDIF/AES. Also, make sure SPDIF/AES Select is set to SPDIF. VG-99 needs to be on or Axe will tell you that clock source is missing.

No. VG-99 is in front of the signal chain just as a regular guitar would be. I would LOVE if cliff could somehow create an SPDIF insert Block so you could have main input regular guitar and utilize some of the VG-99's effects into parallel or series.

I guess this answers my question? Thanks man. I will give it a try. I never would have figured that out on my own. Time to dust off my VG 99 and cosm strat plus annoyingly get an RCA cable. :(

Last edited:
I believe the Axe Fx is running at 44khz when the VG is connected via SPDIF... Maybe I will post this question in a new thread.

I have the FC-300 connected to the Axe-II via conventional MIDI, and to the VG via the RRC-2 and it happily controls both units

more specifically, I'm using the FC's EXP's with the Axe cos I've not got around to getting extra pedals yet
when I use it with the VG it's in sysex mode, and with the Axe it's in standard mode
and although in standard mode, the VG still powers the FC
the down side is that the FC's EXP's are not updated after preset changes so they need a little wiggle after the change..
this is ok for practice [for now] especially as I almost never change presets mid-song
so for now it serves it's purpose I guess...

I have the FC-300 connected to the Axe-II via conventional MIDI, and to the VG via the RRC-2 and it happily controls both units

more specifically, I'm using the FC's EXP's with the Axe cos I've not got around to getting extra pedals yet
when I use it with the VG it's in sysex mode, and with the Axe it's in standard mode
and although in standard mode, the VG still powers the FC
the down side is that the FC's EXP's are not updated after preset changes so they need a little wiggle after the change..
this is ok for practice [for now] especially as I almost never change presets mid-song
so for now it serves it's purpose I guess...

Yes me too exactly. The downside is bending over and switching between sysex and standard mode. And. you must have the VG always on to power the FC-300. I do believe you can connect and external CTL pedal to toggle between the modes but I haven't tried it. My issue is I want to use RRC2 Sysex mode exclusively and have the VG send midi thru cc latch messages but it will only send momentary

I have both a JTV-69 and a VG-99 as well as the Axe-Fx II.

I am not really a fan of the JTV as far as it being a comfortable guitar from my point of view. It is usable, but the implementation of the software and firmware leaves a lot to be desired. I damn near bricked it trying to update it to high def. Also, the proprietary battery and the lack of available spares are a weak spot.

On the VG-99, it is good idea that just has not been fleshed out, and there are no updates on the horizon.

I'd like to see someone run with a hi quality VG-99-like system with Fractal's level support behind it. I rather not see FracFffftal get into the guitar building business. Let them do what they do best, electronics.

Well mine plays out well after adjustments. I don't use a battery as I have an interface that powers the JTV on one side and feeds the fx II on the other. And I never had an issue updating it. With the flexibility of having 26 different guitars input to the amazing stuff an fx2 can do, it makes for a tone ful adventure !:D

Well mine plays out well after adjustments. I don't use a battery as I have an interface that powers the JTV on one side and feeds the fx II on the other. And I never had an issue updating it. With the flexibility of having 26 different guitars input to the amazing stuff an fx2 can do, it makes for a tone ful adventure !:D
What adjustments did you do? And, what interface are you using?

What adjustments did you do? And, what interface are you using?

I adjusted the bridge down some, straightend the neck some, and updated using the pod HD Pro . I sold the HD so now I'll have to use the little plastic digital to USB interface. The powered cord type box audio interface is what I was referring to above.

You connect an RCA from the SPDIF out of VG into SPDIF IN of Axe and go to I/O of Axe FX and set Main INput Source to SPDIF/AES. Also, make sure SPDIF/AES Select is set to SPDIF. VG-99 needs to be on or Axe will tell you that clock source is missing.

No. VG-99 is in front of the signal chain just as a regular guitar would be. I would LOVE if cliff could somehow create an SPDIF insert Block so you could have main input regular guitar and utilize some of the VG-99's effects into parallel or series.

I followed your instruction and it worked. I am able to use axe fx patches while using my cosm guitar!

Though I still think its crap for metal relative to my main guitars it sounds amazing
for alternative tuning rock and acoustic covers. I was playing the
Stones, Third Eye Blind and Goo Goo dolls in all their wacky tuning glory!

Thanks for the help kind sir!

Now how do I hook up the axe fx 2 to my triaxis without it buzzing like a mofo. :).
Even my sound decimator rac unit was an epic fail on my attempt to get
it quiet.

@A to the T, It works!! I'm amazed although, I hooked a digital converter up after Axe's spdif out and it shows me the sample rate as 44.100 Hz. How is it possible?
I understood Axe sample rate is 48.000Hz, in fact if I turn the VG-99 off and connect the Axe alone, the sample rate showed is 48.000. :shock

I connected them and they work fine. However, when I playback audio from my pc through the Axe FX it appears that the recording is pitched down about a half step. So yes, I am stuck in sample rate hell. Lol.

And also the Axe's tuner shows a half step up. I've got a Peterson rack tuner and it shows me the guitar is tunned but the Axe's tuner shows a half tone up...
If you play any audio file through the Axe using it as audio interface, it also sounds a half tone down... :numbness: I'll go back to analog outputs...

And also the Axe's tuner shows a half step up. I've got a Peterson rack tuner and it shows me the guitar is tunned but the Axe's tuner shows a half tone up...
If you play any audio file through the Axe using it as audio interface, it also sounds a half tone down... :numbness: I'll go back to analog outputs...

Yes, thks is exactly my experience. I have both spdif and xl connected. I do find myself using xlr for recording and tone matching though.
I wonder if cliff can adjust the firmware to properly support 44khz because it clearly will clock lower and operate.

Back
Top Bottom