Axe FX II Rig suggestions.

By using a FRFR speaker, and dialing in your tone with it, it provides a world of versatility in that the tone you monitor with is the tone that your recording (which is as simple as plugging in a USB cable with the Axe), whereas with a cab, you need to mic it, it might be an issue of how loud you can record/when you want to record depending on your living situation etc.

Likewise, for gigs you can plug just straight into the soundboard and even use the house monitors (assuming they have them), which makes traveling for gigs far, far easier than having to lug your Axe, your guitars, your cabinet, your power amp etc. If you don't have a car, I'd try to be as mobile as I could be

Heck, I might consider an AX8

If I really needed a super portable rig I'd get an AX-8, mount it on a pedal board with a single expression pedal (pedal would be around 24" wide buy 13" deep) and a single 1x10 powered Xitone monitor (comes in at 300 watts and weighs 26 lbs). Throw your guitar over your shoulders with a nice gig bag, put the pedal board in a gig bag, carry it in one hand and the Xitone in the other. Done.

Is there a calculated way to figure it out?

No, because "tube Watts" and "solid state Watts" are the same. A Watt is a unit of electrical power.

The power output of amps is really a measure of headroom - the power output before distortion happens. The difference is that when transistors distort it's sudden and unpleasant, whereas tubes distort more gradually and in way that is initially less obvious and more pleasing to the ear. That means that while a 50 Watt tube amp and a 50 Watt solid state amp have the same output level before distortion occurs, you'll be able to push the tube amp far beyond that point.

As a reflection of the above the volume knobs on both amps will be different - the volume knob on the solid state amp will probably stop round about where the distortion starts but it will go much higher on the tube amp. And as a result at any arbitrary point on the volume knob range the tube amp will be louder.

So what Yek says is true in a practical sense but it's not technically correct so you can't calculate an equivalence. Generally speaking though you want a speaker that can handle at least double the amp's output, even with a solid state amps as there can be peaks that are higher than the rated output.

No, because "tube Watts" and "solid state Watts" are the same. A Watt is a unit of electrical power.

The power output of amps is really a measure of headroom - the power output before distortion happens. The difference is that when transistors distort it's sudden and unpleasant, whereas tubes distort more gradually and in way that is initially less obvious and more pleasing to the ear. That means that while a 50 Watt tube amp and a 50 Watt solid state amp have the same output level before distortion occurs, you'll be able to push the tube amp far beyond that point.

As a reflection of the above the volume knobs on both amps will be different - the volume knob on the solid state amp will probably stop round about where the distortion starts but it will go much higher on the tube amp. And as a result at any arbitrary point on the volume knob range the tube amp will be louder.

So what Yek says is true in a practical sense but it's not technically correct so you can't calculate an equivalence. Generally speaking though you want a speaker that can handle at least double the amp's output, even with a solid state amps as there can be peaks that are higher than the rated output.

+1

Oh cool! Cheers Pumpkinking86. I'l be sure to check that out. Just found out two of my friends here have Axe FX 2's so I'll be able to test it with an FRFR Cab!

Do you happen to know which stores?

Also another issue I forgot to mention is weight. Ideally I'd like to keep the rig as portable as possible - I can't drive here in America.

I'm going to check out some active monitors. But I can also get a poweramp + Mesa 1x12 combo for under $600 If i took the Marshall/Art Route.

Ax8 + Matrix FR12. Lightweight and you can use an IR of that mesa cab, or thousands of others.

Another selling point for FR - if you plan to run an acoustic or piezo pickups through the Fractal, you'll want that extra high end.

If I really needed a super portable rig I'd get an AX-8, mount it on a pedal board with a single expression pedal (pedal would be around 24" wide buy 13" deep) and a single 1x10 powered Xitone monitor

Wow! You must have really wide feet.... Or flippers! **lol

After much looking and listening I'm going to try both, but honestly FRFR Cab seems easier - and having multiple cab options with much higher wattage seems amazing. I'm looking at the Matrix FR10 and it seems perfect.

Yek - I checked that out, but the Mesa 1x12 will handle 200 watts, and that's more.

The C90 Black Shadow speakers in Mesa's 1x12 cabs are 90 watt speakers. The Rectifier 1x12 cab has a Vintage 30 in it which is only 60 watts. The old Thiele 1x12 cabs loaded with an EVM12L speaker were 200 watts, but Mesa stopped using those speakers many years ago. Where are you getting that 200 watt spec?

Last edited:
Other way around mate. The power amp is 400 watts. Mesa cab is 200. Would rather not risk it.

The GM50 is 400w into 4ohms and 225w into 8ohms. If the Mesa cab is 200w you are good to go.

Trust me, there's no way you're going to blow up an EVM-12L with a GM-50. 400w is solid-state output, comparable to a 50w tube amp.

Likewise here... at 225w at 8ohms the GM50 is a great pairing for the EVM-12L. You'd have to practice gross negligence to blow an EVM-12L with a GM50. :) Under normal usage nearly impossible to do so.

Back
Top Bottom