Axe FX II Rig suggestions.

Descom

First post - Sorry if it's in the wrong section of the forum.

I'm looking into getting an Axe FX II Soon, and have been exploring rig options for playing out. I also just moved to America, and am attending Berklee, so being able to have tons of sounds and easy recording available will also be perfect.

So far I've gotten it down to the Axe, and a Mesa 1x12 Cabinet - preferably with a black shadow speaker. (What I used to use in my teens)

But I have no idea what I want for my poweramp. I was thinking either ART SLA-1, Marshall 8008 or the Matrix GT800FX.

I'm just worried about some of these (The Matrix) having too much wattage for the Mesa 1x12.

Anyone have a workaround for this? Recomendations for rack cases also?

Welcome! I would probably go with a 1x12 powered monitor. Eliminates the need for the power-amp. In the future if you want to run stereo, you add the second monitor. When I had the Axe II and Ultra when they had first come out, one of the things holding me back was the Mesa 2x12. Not that it was a bad cab but cab sims were always off. The Mesa is always going to sound like a Mesa.
Using a Monitor you get the advantage of trying many different cabs, the cab packs available from everything I am seeing are really well done.
I'm actually really looking forward to getting some of them.

Not really after a powered monitor. Costs too much and I really do love the Mesa 1x12's. It's my #1 Cab of all time.

Long time Fractal user here. +1 on the powered monitor. An Atomic CLR or XiTone are pretty much perfect for use with the Axe. Any of those power amps mentioned should work. I suggest you check the specs on the Mesa cab to see how much power it can handle. It would be a shame to destroy your speaker by an oversight.

SKB or Gator make suitable rack gear. Welcome to America.

Not really after a powered monitor. Costs too much and I really do love the Mesa 1x12's. It's my #1 Cab of all time.
I used a Mesa 1x12 with a VHT 2/50/2 when I first got my XL+. IMO, It is not an ideal setup. The sounds were just ok, and the Axe didn't sound like a supreme modeling device until I got a Friedmann ASM-12 and ditched the Mesa and VHT. The Friedmann isn't perfect, but it is a million times better than a power amp and cab. I say this after having played for about 10 years with a Triaxis, VHT, and Mesa rig in well over 1000 live performances. I had two Mesa 1x12's w/ C90s, and their sound with my Triaxis was truly inspiring, but they simply did not translate to my XL+. IMO, you need the use of the Axe's power amp modeling and cab modeling to get the full experience. I am still blown away by how much the cab impulse determines the tone of your presets; its influence is huge.

A Matrix power amp and Mesa 1x12 will cost more than an Atomic CLR wedge ($999 on their website). I'm on the waiting list and am going to replace my ASM-12 as soon as the CLR is ready. It weighs about as much as the Mesa 1x12, has a similar footprint, and has plenty of power. I have many friends who went to Berklee, and they all mentioned how difficult it is to get around Boston for gigs (compared to what they were used to before), and how they had to scale down their rigs. I cannot think of a better run and gun rig that can actually get the job done without sacrificing anything. Even my ASM is not practical because of its size and weight, but the CLR is crazy light, and portable.

You will have plenty of opportunity to go to music stores and compare a Mesa to a FRFR setup once you get your Axe and arrive in Boston. I would say wait until you've A/B'd the different setups before you automatically discount the FRFR option.

My two cents. Good Luck!

You will have plenty of opportunity to go to music stores and compare a Mesa to a FRFR setup once you get your Axe and arrive in Boston. I would say wait until you've A/B'd the different setups before you automatically discount the FRFR option.

Do you happen to know which stores?

Also another issue I forgot to mention is weight. Ideally I'd like to keep the rig as portable as possible - I can't drive here in America.

I'm going to check out some active monitors. But I can also get a poweramp + Mesa 1x12 combo for under $600 If i took the Marshall/Art Route.

I use an XL+ with an old Samson SS amp, 100 w output into a 2x10 guitar cab, sounds great at high and low levels. A Mesa 2/90 would also sound great but weight alot more.

Do you happen to know which stores?

Also another issue I forgot to mention is weight. Ideally I'd like to keep the rig as portable as possible - I can't drive here in America.

I'm going to check out some active monitors. But I can also get a poweramp + Mesa 1x12 combo for under $600 If i took the Marshall/Art Route.
Sorry, I don't live in that area, so I don't know specific stores. The folks at Berklee will know the best locations.

From a portability perspective, check the size and weight specs on the SLA-1. I had the SLA-2 and it was extremely heavy, and deeper rack depth than the Axe Fx! For a moving rack, it was non-optimal... Also, it only has banana plug connectors for speakers.

The Matrix is much better. Small, light, sounds great.

If you're heading to Berklee, I'm guessing you'll be playing a variety of styles, some of which you may have not even considered yet. A FRFR setup using cab modeling will lend itself better to a wide variety of styles than any one regular guitar cab. I recognize the fact that the Mesa is your all-time favorite cab, but since you've not yet experienced the magic of using Fractal's cab modeling, I'd suggest that you don't make up your mind until you see what the Axe-Fx can do into a FRFR setup. (And keep in mind there are less expensive FRFR options than the CLR.)

axe fx 2, mesa power amp 20/20 And mesa 2:50 simul clAss, cabinet mesa 2 1x12- 2 2x12 And one 4x12 stereo set up....cabinet SIM on ....sound great...live

If you like the Mesa 1x12, stick to it. Search for a Matrix GM50. Or call the company. It's a mono version of the GT1000fx, in a different enclosure. Together you'll have a compact yet powerful rig.

We will understand if you get a cab, but you will get consistent recommendations to go with FRFR. The freedom is unparalleled, and you can always run an IR of your favourite cab to get 99% of its sound on cue.

Not me. I'll keep saying that I prefer a traditional cab, when using my rig as backline. :)

After much looking and listening I'm going to try both, but honestly FRFR Cab seems easier - and having multiple cab options with much higher wattage seems amazing. I'm looking at the Matrix FR10 and it seems perfect.

Yek - I checked that out, but the Mesa 1x12 will handle 200 watts, and that's more.

It's not a problem that a speaker is more powerful than the power amp...

Trust me, there's no way you're going to blow up an EVM-12L with a GM-50. 400w is solid-state output, comparable to a 50w tube amp.

Back
Top Bottom