Axe-FX II Recto Red - BOOM

Scott Peterson

Global Moderator
Vendor
I'm not a metal guy, but love to bring the big BOOM high gain stuff out for fun.

Here's a short clip for guys that have been asking for high gain.

PRS Custom 22, Axe-FXII (Recto Red amp block, RW Recto Cab block, Reverb) cut direct via USB into Reaper than ripped down to FLAC and MP3.

The Soundcloud player for convenience:

The FLAC file for actual listening: 05 18 2011 RectoRed II .flac

Oh my god!! Sounds 100% like a tube amp to my ears!!! The definition is spectacular and so are the harmonics!! I think this Axe fx 2 will open the door to real tube amp alternative, a lot of competitors will enter the game now and I think it's a good thing! This could very be the beginning of a new era and the last days of tube amps as we know them!

Sounds very nice. So, with your limited experience with the II, since you have only had it a short time, do you think you could get that out of a Standard/Ultra? If not, what is lacking from a Standard/Ultra?

solo-act said:
Thanks for the clip!

I'd recommend another with the mics on or at least low end dialed back, it's overblown, even for that format/style.

Take the FLAC file and low pass it at about 100hz and that'll clean up the mud. Rocking it like it was in the room is the fun here.

this is a so freakin real sounding! Not my style, but if anyone told me this was a modeller i wouldn't believe them. Excellent Scott! Now, where do i spend the money i dont have! lol

Scott, just curious... were you running it thru studio monitors? I think it sounds fantastic.

Yes - old school Mackie 624's with a JBL 10" sub. About 80db when I cut that. Pretty fun stuff.

Even with the massive bottom end, if you really listen critically to the FLAC download, you'll notice it never really 'blows up' more than just has that Mesa "THUMP" thing cranking. For actual performance or recording, I'd chill that out with any number of tools... but it was too fun not share. :D

Awesome, Awesome, AWESOME! Sounds like a recorded recto to me. It's got that signature gravel without the harsh uppers that the Recto Red on my ultra has. Perfect!

Crushing tone, with that low mid growwwwwwwl.
It really pays off to download the FLAC file and listen to that. Not a world of difference but the dynamics are much better.

Hi Scott, good morning.

I'm intrigued, as you can this type feedback in the 0.50 to 0.53 minutes¿?

Just volume and feedback, just like from an amp but with my 6" Mackie studio monitors. Nothing special was done to get it...

No final feedback,,Specifically 0.50 to 0.53 minutes¿?¿
microphone feedback? my ear tells me exactly that.

No final feedback,,Specifically 0.50 to 0.53 minutes¿?¿
microphone feedback? my ear tells me exactly that.

That ringing you hear at that point is the guitar - this PRS rings like a bell - literally. When I play it, I can get that to happen pretty easily when I play with a heavier right hand. You can hear it on clean stuff too, one guy said he 'thought he heard tubes ringing'... but alas, it is the guitar. It's a good one. The "II" is exceptionally transparent and allows *everything* to come through; even under higher gain tones like this one here.

Being so, I have no more than taking the hat, by the dramatic improvement that Cliff has made ​​with its technology emulation,, a very large Congratulations.

Sold ultra Axe,,XD

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom