Axe-Fx II Recording Tips and Mix

hi,

i was hoping to get tips in getting a good tone, or mix from axe-fx ii mark 2. i dialed in some presets, when i listen to it, it was ok but when i hear the mix from other headphones, it sounds thin. i record via usb, my headphones are atx-m20x but when i listen on iphone or other device my sound is not what i looked for. im kind of frustrated because i thought owning axefx will end my chase of tones and focus more on playing but i usually tweak more now than when i used mercuriall reaxis.. is there some tips for recording a song i can get, because when i watch videos on youtube, their guitars sounded big both in my headphones and iphone.

i used ownhammer IR, ML and even tweaking V30 and cali LF but still my guitar sounding thin. im chasing a petrucci tone..
some samples of my raw recording. i dont know where to start really... should i focus now on studying mix? eq compression?

Step #1 - don't dial in your tones with headphones.

Sounds from your description like your headphones have a lot of bass response, and you've adjusted things for that. When listening on something else without the extra bass it will sound thin.

Step #1 - don't dial in your tones with headphones.

Sounds from your description like your headphones have a lot of bass response, and you've adjusted things for that. When listening on something else without the extra bass it will sound thin.

Thanks but my only option now is headphones. So should i buy studio monitor to better shape my tone?

Monitors are much better (IMO) then headphones for mixing, and for dialing in your presets.

Thanks! What do you think of presonus Eris 3.5? It’s a little one but i think thats the closest i can get for a studio monitor. Also on a tight budget, what would you recommend?

Thanks! What do you think of presonus Eris 3.5? It’s a little one but i think thats the closest i can get for a studio monitor. Also on a tight budget, what would you recommend?
I'll have to defer to others. I am not familiar with those, and I use FRFR to dial in my presets these days.

My own home monitors are old KRK Rockit 6, which are not great... but I'm not doing much recording at home.

I heard the first track and i think all you should do is add a separate bass track.
Guitar is a midrange instrument, and your tone is, in my opinion, pretty good. The gain is not excessive imho.
If you increase the bass frequencies on the guitars without adding a bass, you will have a fatter guitar tone for sure, but when adding the bass track you will be in trouble due to excessive amount of bass on the guitars...the two instruments frequencies will overlap resulting in a messy mix.

Back
Top Bottom