AXE-FX II Rack is Finished.... (I think)

Ok this is a new way…man you are crazy (in a good way of course).
I used to have a 12" laptop in my rack for editing presets on the fly when we rehears but the problem is that the Axe preset switching suffers from a major latency when running both with the MFC AND the AE so I gave up the laptop

Very Cool. I might build a cheap computer using a 1U rack server case and just set the monitor on top of my rack. hmmmmm

I'm a system admin too and have tons of stuff laying around my office.

I have a 1U server in my rig (http://forum.fractalaudio.com/lounge/15985-post-your-rig-34.html) and while it is convenient and powerful it can be loud. There is something about those tiny, high speed fans used in 1U cases that are particularly obnoxious. On the other hand, when I am playing loud enough and far enough away from the rack, the noise is irrelevant.

I have a 1U server in my rig (http://forum.fractalaudio.com/lounge/15985-post-your-rig-34.html) and while it is convenient and powerful it can be loud. There is something about those tiny, high speed fans used in 1U cases that are particularly obnoxious. On the other hand, when I am playing loud enough and far enough away from the rack, the noise is irrelevant.
Yes they can be. I had actually been thinking about something similar, but was looking more along the lines of an atom processor or even one of those old cyrix processors from years ago that could be passively cooled and could probably run off a brick power supply. You would even really have to rack it; it should be able to mount in the back of the rack somewhere. I mean AxeEdit ain't that intensive an app and you just run a barebone install.

Yes they can be. I had actually been thinking about something similar, but was looking more along the lines of an atom processor or even one of those old cyrix processors from years ago that could be passively cooled and could probably run off a brick power supply. You would even really have to rack it; it should be able to mount in the back of the rack somewhere. I mean AxeEdit ain't that intensive an app and you just run a barebone install.

The newer Mac mini's are a great alternative to 1U's. The power supply is built in so no wall wart like so many other small pcs and the cpu goes up to the quad core i7. You can rack it in a 1U with a variety of racking options. It's also very quiet. It's overkill for axedit but you could run your daw off of it (any operating system). And yes, it can be expensive.

Looks cool..... I am also an IT guy :) and love the gear questions at the shows to lol

I'd put money on it that the Fractal community is WAY more firmly entrenched in tech, or coming from a former (or maybe concurrent) background in IT and comp-sci than, say, standard head/cab users. I'm both. But it's interesting being part of a definite "rig" based forum as well as a live community of musicians who choose amps etc as their weapon of choice; versus this forum, and the growing number of musos I'm slowly befriending in "this" field of modeling and the like. It's really obvious that Axe users, en masse, have a more technologically/nerd based perspective than the knuckle dragging toobers. Said with complete respect and impunity - as I am BOTH.

To the OP, cool rig. I'd have opted for a flip top, but hey, that can be your next project (as nothing ever ends, just new things begin ;))

Back
Top Bottom