Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 9.04 Firmware Release

Sounds great over here! I'm really liking the new setting for CFH.. I've been playing with the Plexi 100.. I just did a small cut on the mids WOW and I did reset the amp

I highly recommend making some from-scratch presets from your favorite Amps to really hear what this new FW offers... it seems to me of extra benefit on 9.04

Don't know about night and day but definitely an improvement IMO.

+1

On a side note, I wanted to ask this for a while but always forget to: are speaker time constant and speaker comp related to the type of speaker used in the cab block or to the amp model? In other words, let's say, should we keep similar settings when using the same amp with different speaker or when using different amps using the same speaker? I know the logical answer would be "whatever sounds best", but just curious to understand these parameters and their real life application

Plexi 50W 6550 updated Pwr TubeGrid Bias for 0.600.
Before 0.480. Very nice!!!

Thanks Cliff and Fractal Team! :)

Maby my ears get old........but I hear difference if I reset the amp block (Spawn 1) with AxeEdit and compare x - y with copied settings- maybe slighty more upper mids? but it sounds better to me.

You can also use FracTool to adjust it to 7.5 for all patches. I did that after cliff's recommendation thread. Sounds great.
Does Fractool do batch adjustments or do you still have to adjust each preset one at a time like axe edit?

+1

On a side note, I wanted to ask this for a while but always forget to: are speaker time constant and speaker comp related to the type of speaker used in the cab block or to the amp model? In other words, let's say, should we keep similar settings when using the same amp with different speaker or when using different amps using the same speaker? I know the logical answer would be "whatever sounds best", but just curious to understand these parameters and their real life application

Let me start this off by saying that I am in no way the final answer on this, but I think it's and interesting question...and I think I understand how this relationship works; so here we go.

The answer is both...kind of.
The ir/cab block does not contain any information on these parameters. The ir is simply a static filter. Having said this, a particular speaker type will have also have specific comp and time constant parameters associated with it even though the ir doesn't capture this information. In real life, an alnico jenson speaker may have different parameters than a celestian greenback, and so on. For an authentic representation of a speaker, these parameters need to be modeled. The speaker comp and time parameters found in the amp block take into consideration certain things like hi and lo frequency resonance found on the speaker page of the amp block. There is also the "motor drive" and "motor time const" parameters found in the cab block. These simply model the effect of high power levels on the speaker. It is safe to say that the parameters found in the amp block provide the most realistic simulation.

It is my guess that these parameters would vary greatly even among similar speaker types, so ...even though these parameters will alter the sound a little, in my opinion it is far more of a feel thing than anything else where these adjustments are concerned. So set them where they feel and sound right understanding that the parameters adjust how the amp responds to a specific speaker, or speaker type.

Please correct me if I have given any bad info here....

Back
Top Bottom