Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 9.03 Firmware Release

When the latest round of newer cabs started showing up in the 'XL' and 'AX8' line, I asked Cliff in another thread, if the new IRs where going to be available in the Ultra-Res Sample Cab folder for the Mark I and II users. And was told to buy and XL+, so I don't think they're coming.

Last edited:
When the XL was released, it included new factory cabs that there was no room for in the Mk I or Mk II. These cabs were distributed with Mk I and II firmware in a separate folder, and they have been included ever since then. New cabs that were released later were not added to the folder.

Here we go again. Reset. Don't reset. How to. Why? I don't get it.

Can someone finally nail this down with 'the Definitive Video' so the masses out here will understand the differences, when the Firmware is re-designed, what is required to use it properly. PLEASE.

Chris from
KKMmusic
use to do great tutorials. WHERE ARE YOU CHRIS?

Man, I need to update soon. I've been waiting but I just need to jump in. :)

For the new folks there are three "options" every time we get a new firmware:

1. Amp block reset - Select different amp then back to the amp you want and will have new features (but will keep your settings)
2. Hard amp block reset - Double-click "bypass" button while in amp block. This will put all EQ at noon and "stock". Your will lose your personal settings as far as gain, EQ, etc.
3. Leave everything as is - A lot of times Cliff will tell us that no amp reset is required. Most of us old timers do it anyway because we are paranoid. LOL

As far as the amp reset goes, there is no wrong or bad way. One allows you to keep the settings you had but enjoy new adjustments to the amp. Years ago this is something people were begging for because we would do a firmware update and some guy would have a gig and literally would have to go thru all of his presets and adjust each dial to what he previously had.

Would a fourth way be exporting your patches then importing them back in? Would that reset the amp block and preserve the settings or no?

Fully aware and those are the cabs I am looking for which are not in the sample folder
Sorry, I was thinking those were the ones referenced but I just checked the manual and the extras are 133-159 as far as I can tell.

The manual page listing the IR table is here (page 181):

http://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/manuals/axe-fx-2/Axe-Fx-II-Owners-Manual.pdf#page181

Anything after that is not available.

I suspect @FractalAudio may have just confused the Cab slot numbers...

Ok so disregard my earlier post about cleans sounding crunchy/weird, I found the source of the problem. I have a battery in my guitar which I thought was just for the OBEL (on board effects loop). Battery was dead or nearly dead. Apparently, it's not just for the OBEL. I wasn't getting a full signal I guess from guitar which was making everything sound strange. I'm up and running with 9.03 and everything sounds wonderful. Thanks all for the help, I learned a lot from all the folks here and thank you Fractal for the awesome updates! Carry on.

Would a fourth way be exporting your patches then importing them back in? Would that reset the amp block and preserve the settings or no?

Great question, and I think no, although some of this is speculation I'll tell you why I think this.

(I'll just say it like I picture it cuz I dunno for sure)

IMHO the presets are just sets of values, and when they get imported they remain so. Cliff would not let a user effect the actual intricate functioning of the software - or we users would do the equivalent of putting the pop tart into the microwave, and the soda can in the toaster oven. So until we choose to do one of the resets, we still benefit from the new algorithm with our potentially less-than-algorithm-friendly settings, but with new algorithms comes new defaults that can be dialed from. Resetting gives you those new defaults (which wrecks loses the individuality you worked hard for in your preset :) ). But to the Firmware there exists no reasonable exact translation of your original adjusted settings of your original preset, to new appropriate values. So you either keep your old settings, or reset and dial in again.

What makes this especially intricate to understand is this:

2) The changes to the amp-modeling-algorithm that the Firmware introduces can sometimes re-interpret a setting or two, like when a knob or value disappears from the modeling approach - because that value is replaced by a different value in the new amp-modeling-algorithm. I believe in that case Cliff decides how the amp-modeling-algorithm will make that a painless situation - (unless he turns Rodney K on us) with the amp-modeling-algorithm re-interpreting the data as appropriately as possible - or defaulting and ruining its credit.

3) After many significant amp-modeling-algorithm changes, unless every setting, minus the basic EQ ones and such, was left at the default, its like taking a train from Florida to Cuba, you can only imagine it. You don't know how to do it. Neither can Cliff be expected to know how.

1) Sometimes there is no single correct order in living systems, and in the case of an amp modeling algorithm this is also true. If it was just a matter of A effects B effects C (in order) then the new algorithm would have a similar flow to the last one, and so on. It might be possible then for Cliff to totally re-model the user preset along with Firmware updates, and the "fourth way" mentioned implied such a scenario. But that would be boring for users. Trust me. And in cases of significant FW change, although it would be great for Cliff to process the values we have into a new approximation of those values in the new firmware, it is very conceivable that subtleties in our tone just will not predictably translate between Firmwares. Cliff might be able to get 30% or 60% there or something if he spent months coming up with something on each major advance, but it would never be flawless, and we would just complain and write long posts like this one. I noticed certain amp models that had huge changes with a setting of 4 or 5 on the Spkr Comp knob, and other amp models that weren't heavily affected (higher MV settings causing it? or also the specifics of the particular amp type? )

I just can't imagine how tough the job is that Cliff does.

Last edited:
Sorry, I was thinking those were the ones referenced but I just checked the manual and the extras are 133-159 as far as I can tell.

The manual page listing the IR table is here (page 181):

http://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/manuals/axe-fx-2/Axe-Fx-II-Owners-Manual.pdf#page181

Anything after that is not available.

I suspect @FractalAudio may have just confused the Cab slot numbers...
That's what I am assuming, and as I already said, if we aren't getting them then that's fine. Just feels like there has been a lot of different answers out there so was just trying to clear tings up once and for all.

Hey all !

Still on an older FW here.

Have we had any further info / clarification as to what specifically has changed with the "Improved power amp modeling" in 9.03 ?

Thanks,
Ben

Thanks. Put 9.03 2 hours ago .... even with Speaker Drive on 0 [ down from the default of 3.0 ] this release seems to be even " more smoother " / " more nicer " than prior 9.0x's ........ ?!?! ......... [obviously] I have no idea what coding changes have been made in the "power amp" stages in this release ........ but going "back" and will continue to try as new[er] FW's arise.

Thanks,
Ben

Last edited:
There are times when I don't enjoy new firmware and this is one. I tried 9.03 in my studio three times and preferred 9.02 over it. To be honest, I didn't notice a big difference but 9.02 had better feel to me. I haven't tried my rehearsal rig with CLR'S
Yet, down with a broken foot for a while.

Not sure if this is something with this version or has been like this for awhile, but is there something wrong with AxeChange in Axe Edit? It doesn’t seem to be working

Back
Top Bottom