Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 9.03 Firmware Release

But if we have gone in the direction of more realism, are there still knobs one might tweak to get that earlier type of sound - or is it a question of much, much more realism but slightly less advanced control; because I can't see that anyone has asked this?

I not sure where you're going with this, but it touches on something I've been wondering about for a while. What's the validity of "realism" in a modeller? Most of us are never going to get a chance to play through a Trainwreck, or a Dumble or even a vintage Marshall stack, so what does it matter to us that a model responds nearly exactly as the real thing?

The xformergrind may be one of those cases where people are starting to think beyond the modelling of actual amps. Here's a control that people want to use to take the model away from anything you'd expect a physical amp to do. I guess that, technically, anytime you tweak anything off the first tab you're starting to wander away from purely trying to emulate the physical amp, although you could be simulating things that could be done by rewiring or swapping components in the amp. Also you could be matching to variations between individual examples of the same physical amp.

My guess is that realistic modelling will probably always have a place, because there's 60 years or so of recorded music using physical amps that people are going to want to emulate in their own playing. But are we approaching a time when people making original music are less interested in sounding like something else, and more interested in creating the tone that they hear in their heads?

What's the validity of "realism" in a modeller? Most of us are never going to get a chance to play through a Trainwreck, or a Dumble or even a vintage Marshall stack, so what does it matter to us that a model responds nearly exactly as the real thing?
Actually, I would say this is why alot of people would prefer an amp to respond exactly the way the real thing would.....because they can't play the real thing. I can see both sides of it though.

Actually, I would say this is why alot of people would prefer an amp to respond exactly the way the real thing would.....because they can't play the real thing. I can see both sides of it though.
Yep, both sides are valid....and with tone stack swapping, a billion EQ options, etc., Fractal has both sides covered.

What's the validity of "realism" in a modeller?

I like it because:
  • It gives me the chance to experience amps that I would never otherwise be able to.
  • It gives me a great delta to start from.
  • It allows me to experiment based on the history and available information regarding the characteristics of the amp.
  • It provides greater variety - You have to start from somewhere..... why not with an accurate model of the actual amp.

Where we with the tones on metal and high gain as alot of us stayed on 8.02 because of the change, has 9.03 brought the METAL back?

All I play is metal and high-gain and I haven't noticed any problems with 9.0+ and tightness. Then again, I can barely tell the difference between different firmware versions most of the time. JCM-800 is still my go to amp but I mostly play 80's thrash stuff. I do dig the Mesa Mark IV, Engl Savage and 5150 III Red as well though. But all of them sound tight as a drum to me. Key is dropping bass in the tone controls and using a drive in front.

I like it because:
  • It gives me the chance to experience amps that I would never otherwise be able to.
  • It gives me a great delta to start from.
  • It allows me to experiment based on the history and available information regarding the characteristics of the amp.
  • It provides greater variety - You have to start from somewhere..... why not with an accurate model of the actual amp.

I can see that if your are looking for great tone, then why not start from some place that's generally accepted, and proven through countless recordings, to be a great real amp? Same thing if you've got some recording, or favourite artist that has a tone that really ticks all the boxes for you, why not start there?

I'm just wondering whether or not there's a point where the goal of exact replication of a physical amp isn't the same as having the tools to build the best tone? The xformergrind seems like it might be a case of that.

Thanks FAS!
After real sound and feel is achieved and more importantly understood, the next frontier is 'new' sounds and feel(we already have both to some degree) but these will always be limited by the starting point signal of the guitar itself. I don't know if large changes in sound and feel can be achieved without altering the nature of the guitar. Roland, Fishman, and others have had limited success with this but at what point does it stop being a guitar?

Cliff, I do not know what you did, but I have to say, this update feels really great. Either I am simply getting better at dialing tone with my fingers and the guitar or this update did something to my AXE, because every type of amp ( clean, drive, edge of break-up, hi-gain) sounds great with minimal tweaking!

Thanks!

I usually don't comment on firmware upgrades, but I have to agree with some of the things said. Clarity, definition and feel is what I experience on my go to Marshall 100W Plexi preset. Great update.

Roger

Best firmware update yet. They have all done something to improve but something about this one put it right there for me.......
Clarity-Definition-FEEL-Note Seperation

I was so enjoying rehearsal last night.

I not sure where you're going with this, but it touches on something I've been wondering about for a while. What's the validity of "realism" in a modeller? Most of us are never going to get a chance to play through a Trainwreck, or a Dumble or even a vintage Marshall stack, so what does it matter to us that a model responds nearly exactly as the real thing?

The xformergrind may be one of those cases where people are starting to think beyond the modelling of actual amps. Here's a control that people want to use to take the model away from anything you'd expect a physical amp to do. I guess that, technically, anytime you tweak anything off the first tab you're starting to wander away from purely trying to emulate the physical amp, although you could be simulating things that could be done by rewiring or swapping components in the amp. Also you could be matching to variations between individual examples of the same physical amp.

My guess is that realistic modelling will probably always have a place, because there's 60 years or so of recorded music using physical amps that people are going to want to emulate in their own playing. But are we approaching a time when people making original music are less interested in sounding like something else, and more interested in creating the tone that they hear in their heads?

By "going in the direction of realism" I meant that as a programmer there will be times when Cliff cannot expose everything to the user - just like there were never pitch bend levers on pianos (strings too damn fat, being considerably a percussion instrument). Or maybe frets on a violin would not be as much a help but a hindrance, and get in the way of the major benefit of the violin - namely its subtleties resulting from vibrato and string and bow hairiness and pitch slides... (okay, I dunno if this reference is even valid in some peoples minds, but I'm a Mahavishnu/Kansas fan..)

So if the newer algorithm got to a place where a user could not use a simple knob to interact with that algorithm, it would be desirably MORE realistic, but at the same time could be harder to write user-interactivity and GUI stuff for those desirable subtle, real, modulating characteristics.

Last edited:
Key is dropping bass in the tone controls and using a drive in front.

This!! I'm a metal guy too and that is the key to my tones as well. That definition just comes out with a drive in there. I actually use my buddy Rob Keeley's D&M drive as my boost with a Cameron amp model. Love that pedal!!

I hope you get a lot of royalty checks for that one!

View attachment 43292
Is it safe?

marathon-man.gif

What's the validity of "realism" in a modeller? Most of us are never going to get a chance to play through a Trainwreck, or a Dumble or even a vintage Marshall stack, so what does it matter to us that a model responds nearly exactly as the real thing?

Most of us? Speak for yourself. There are plenty of guitarists who have played or own the amps that many of the models are based on and simply prefer the convenience and consistency of the Axe.

Considering tube amps are viewed by many as the gold standard for producing great tone, why wouldn't players be interested in reproductions that are as close as possible to the genuine article?

There are plenty of amp sims that can approximate the sound of an amp, but few modelers that can truly nail it. If you don't care about exact realism, there are plenty of alternatives.

are we approaching a time when people making original music are less interested in sounding like something else, and more interested in creating the tone that they hear in their heads?

You certainly wouldn't know it based on sales of the Axe. There are already an infinite number of ways to manipulate sound using a vast array of plugins. There's plenty of opportunity for anyone who's interested in producing unorthodox and unconventional tones.

Last edited:
Man, I’m late to the party. Just saw the update. I’ll have to make time for it in the next few days. Like what I’ve been reading about it thus far. Thank you FAS for your continuous effort of improvement.

Most of us? Speak for yourself. There are plenty of guitarists who have played or own the amps that many of the models are based on and simply prefer the convenience and consistency of the Axe.

Considering tube amps are viewed by many as the gold standard for producing great tone, why wouldn't players be interested in reproductions that are as close as possible to the genuine article?

There are plenty of amp sims that can approximate the sound of an amp, but few modelers that can truly nail it. If you don't care about exact realism, there are plenty of alternatives.

You certainly wouldn't know it based on sales of the Axe. There are already an infinite number of ways to manipulate sound using the vast array of plugins. There's plenty of opportunity for anyone who's interested in producing unorthodox and unconventional tones.

Sheesh. We can all live together comfortably. Those who want the convenience of amps they have played/owned, those who want to try new amps, and those who are inventing new amps. Most people forget that many of these 'grail' amps have serious flaws too...they are NOT just turn on and play....why people are surprised an accurate representation is the same way is beyond me.

No need to get chippy folks. Peace.

Back
Top Bottom