Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 9.02 Firmware Release

I noticed the un-spiking right away even with speaker comp at small values. I tried the GR5/Amptitube plugins while waiting for recovery ROM chip, and that was very spikey sounding, and all the plugin amps were flat by comparison. It's so nice to have 9.02 up and running! :) No probs so far. Onward to sticky sharp juicy highs, gushing lows, and gnashing teeth..

So, regarding the speaker comp, I wondering if it's worth taking into consideration the cab being used and whether or not the cab has one, two, or four speakers. Does a 8ohm cab with one speaker compress differently than an 8ohm cab with four? I'm guessing the four speakers will compress less, maybe even 1/4 as much. If so.. then maybe the level of speaker comp should go down as the speaker count goes up.
o_O:D Anyone know?

Reactions: edo
So, regarding the speaker comp, I wondering if it's worth taking into consideration the cab being used and whether or not the cab has one, two, or four speakers. Does a 8ohm cab with one speaker compress differently than an 8ohm cab with four? I'm guessing the four speakers will compress less, maybe even 1/4 as much. If so.. then maybe the level of speaker comp should go down as the speaker count goes up.
I think you're overthinking this. :)

If you try to work out a formula for where Speaker Comp should be set, you're headed for frustration. Set it where you like it best. That's easier to do, and it takes a lot less time.

Reactions: yek

I’d be curious to know as well, just for authenticity’s sake!

It seems intuitive to me that it's on a 'per speaker' basis. Kind of wouldn't make sense that you'd have to turn up speaker comp to 8 if you were running a dual cab setup, or down to 1/2 if just using a 1x12 to get the same effect.

Either way, should be using your ears on this one.

After rolling back to 8.02 and back to 9.02 again I'm still having trouble with some of my main high gain presets. My HBE V2 in particular has lots the magic. I find some of my presets sound as if there was a separate dry signal path being blended in ever so slightly. Flubby low end, the wonderful thick girth and bounce to the drive is just not there anymore. I may roll back to 8.02 again. Not a bad thing and not complaining. Firmwares are just variations of models at a given point and sometimes you like how one variation sounds based on how you've dialed it.

I find some of my presets sound as if there was a separate dry signal path being blended in ever so slightly

The "Air" parameter in the Cab block does exactly this. Perhaps you might check to see if this parameter has been changed, somehow? Or, if it would sound better turned to 0?

The "Air" parameter in the Cab block does exactly this. Perhaps you might check to see if this parameter has been changed, somehow? Or, if it would sound better turned to 0?
interesting...i'll check that out right away before I roll back. I think my Air parameter might be a bit high, if i recall. Nope that's not it. Scratching my head here. I've tried swapping guitars, cables and adjusting multiple parameters but its most definitely that raw unprocessed signal that bleeds through somehow. I"ve checked Utility, I/O etc etc.

Edit of another Edit* i just stumbled on something very odd. On the Amp basic page, i turned the level all the way down to -80 db and I'm hearing a dry/clean guitar signal coming through? I even hear the delay processed on it. On the gird i have one line from input > Output with 2 or 3 blocks in parallel but only one line reaching the ouyput on the grid? okay i'm confused...am i missing something here?

Edit of the last two edits* As you can see i've been trouble shooting while updating on this problem. I just discovered odd behavior and what i think is the culprit: Input select. I have it on left. Toggled it to sum L + R and the problem went away...then clicked back to Left as i originally had and problem gone. A bug perhaps here?

Last edited:
interesting...i'll check that out right away before I roll back. I think my Air parameter might be a bit high, if i recall. Nope that's not it. Scratching my head here. I've tried swapping guitars, cables and adjusting multiple parameters but its most definitely that raw unprocessed signal that bleeds through somehow. I"ve checked Utility, I/O etc etc.

Edit of another Edit* i just stumbled on something very odd. On the Amp basic page, i turned the level all the way down to -80 db and I'm hearing a dry/clean guitar signal coming through? I even hear the delay processed on it. On the gird i have one line from input > Output with 2 or 3 blocks in parallel but only one line reaching the ouyput on the grid? okay i'm confused...am i missing something here?

Edit of the last two edits* As you can see i've been trouble shooting while updating on this problem. I just discovered odd behavior and what i think is the culprit: Input select. I have it on left. Toggled it to sum L + R and the problem went away...then clicked back to Left as i originally had and problem gone. A bug perhaps here?

I have this exact same problem in 8.02 as well I ham hearing a dry signal as well and cant seem to make it go away. Where was it you changed the paramter from left to L+R then back to left is that in the i/o section?

I have this exact same problem in 8.02 as well I ham hearing a dry signal as well and cant seem to make it go away. Where was it you changed the paramter from left to L+R then back to left is that in the i/o section?
I was using Axe edit to make the change right on the basic amp page. On the front panel of your Axe Fx it should be Layout > Amp block > Advanced > Input select

worth doing a soft reset of the amp block to pick up all the changes. there are several, it seems

it might be worth mentioning if any amps apart from the AC30's or AC15's are affected

A "soft reset" means deleting the amp block from a preset and then adding it again? Thanks.

A "soft reset" means deleting the amp block from a preset and then adding it again?

A soft reset is when you re-select an amp. For instance, if you want to (soft) reset the Deluxe Tweed, you'd simply go to the amp selection screen, choose any other amp, then go back into the amp selection screen and re-select the Deluxe Tweed.

I'm experiencing the same issue as Chewie5150 and Metal1993 (some of my presets sound as if there is a separate dry signal path being blended in ever so slightly). I'll dig into this and see if I can get anywhere with the suggestions provided.

I'm experiencing the same issue as Chewie5150 and Metal1993 (some of my presets sound as if there is a separate dry signal path being blended in ever so slightly). I'll dig into this and see if I can get anywhere with the suggestions provided.
Yes, I thought I was hearing things, but there is a secondary overtone coming through some presets. I thought I was humming while I was playing, lol, and it was being picked up and coming out the speakers. But it's a clear distant mirror tone being created alongside the presets tone. Hope this can be looked into and fixed.

Back
Top Bottom