Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 9.02 Firmware Release

I went from 8.02 to current yesterday
wondering what i should expect as the sound dramatically altered my preset....

( generally only use one preset )
with a deluxe and Friedman .... and now the clean on the deluxe is driven... and the preset lost all its spongey-ness....

does this sound like an anomoly... or is that expected.... should i re-do firmware? or is there a setting i should change..??
do i reload my preset from a backup? although i was having the same issues yesterday with the backup not taking real well...

i got curious and upgraded and now kinda kicking myself cos with 8.02 that was thee best sound i have ever had and now feel like ive got to start again...

i got curious and upgraded and now kinda kicking myself cos with 8.02 that was thee best sound i have ever had and now feel like ive got to start again...

Make sure you have a backup, and then try resetting the amp block and dialling in your sound again. You'll probably be pleasantly surprised. If you still feel 8.02 was better after all that, there's nothing stopping you rolling back.

That's not an anomaly, nor is it atypical with regard to firmware upgrades. In many cases the sound of your presets will change. Drastically at times. That's why people often recommend backing up before upgrading.

( generally only use one preset )
with a deluxe and Friedman .... and now the clean on the deluxe is driven... and the preset lost all its spongey-ness....

does this sound like an anomoly... or is that expected.... should i re-do firmware? or is there a setting i should change..??
do i reload my preset from a backup? although i was having the same issues yesterday with the backup not taking real well...

I'm not sure why it happens but over the years I've noticed sometimes that presets seems to have more gain or drive as you said. I don't know if a certain setting gets adjusted accidentally during the update process or if more realistic values result in a different gain, etc. but some have noticed it. A lot of times though, something like that will happen and then will be good again the next update so I'm not sure. I just adjust what I need to when it happens. I can tell you that I've never regretted updating in the many years I've had an Axe-Fx II.

Seems i have a bit of a latency on analog outs to my direct monitoring audio interface (Apogee Quartet)

That's not an anomaly, nor is it atypical with regard to firmware upgrades. In many cases the sound of your presets will change. Drastically at times. That's why people often recommend backing up before upgrading.
yeah did back up, mostly i thought it was my computer being a freak, but now realising that fractalbot had an issue too so i dont think got a complete backup.... :-(

I always re-set the amps by switching to another and then back again like a soft reset. It could be me but it seems to always make a difference after an update.

i feel like all of the high gain presets are very boomy now, do i need to do something?
My take would be yes, and no. In general in the last several firmwares (maybe before 9 even ) I've begun using more EQ and high pass in my preset creation routine. I've used fractalbot to list out my original preset settings, and tried to dial in again from scratch. It could just be my ears. But the presets seem to react with more realism, yet have that additional response on the low end. This is actually what I would expect if I direct-mic'd a signal right by the speaker. I think its realism, and using EQ to moderate it, IMHO it ultimately helps the sound, being clear in terms of character and string separation.

I imagine that, using non-cirtual equipment, before a sound gets to my ears a room absorbs a lot of spectrum from what the accurate signal will be. I believe a typical recording engineer mindset for most guitar styles is to highpass above a certain point, but if I want to have some of that low end, I try and use very specific range or two (using Fab Filter I can isolate a small bit). My ears just don't tolerate that boominess for long periods, although I love it for about 10 minutes.

Another thing I'm loving to do now is to mix a chosen drive pedal with natural amp distortion a bit, because I can isolate the range of frequencies that I want to affect with the distortion - the out-of-control boominess, when distorted, can be an overwhelm.

I have this connection issue as reported in bug section and other threads. But mine is Axe-Fx II Mark II with Axe-Edit on Win10.

The mitigation that works for me to prevent it to happen too soon are:
  • Put AxeEdit in pause mode when working with DAW and/or audio player apps (any apps that sending audio to AxeFx)
  • Stop DAW and audio player apps (any apps that sending audio to AxeFx) when working with AxeEdit
It is not ideal but that’s the only thing I can do. Hope this helps.
Thought this problem has come to its end.......

No problem here with Studio One 2, Mediaplayer and Edit at the same time. Edit has to to do his job - or I don´t want it and work with the Frontpanel.

I just notice that the Jazz 120 defaults to master volume at 3.00 on this version. Isn't it supposed to default to 10 as it a non-MV amp, or did I miss something?

Back
Top Bottom