Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 9.01 Firmware Release

ok, I'm having trouble with the low end especially with the Vox models in Q9.01. I gave up on my presets and went to the Factory A-Class15 preset. I get this nasty and extreme flub like the amp is broken on low notes when I dig in. Using an XL+, 9.01 and a LP on the factory preset with speaker comp turned OFF (does it when on too). Check it out (recorded on my iphone, not overloading the internal mic, that's the way it sounds in the room):

Edited: removed the word "skeptical" as it's not accurate. Love the update, just having some difficulty getting my low notes to "spank"

Last edited:
ok, so I've been a bit skeptical with 9.01. Having trouble with the low end especially with the Vox models. I gave up on my presets and went to the Factory A-Class15 preset. I get this nasty and extreme flub like the amp is broken on low notes when I dig in. Using an XL+, 9.01 and a LP on the factory preset with speaker comp turned OFF (does it when on too). Check it out (recorded on my iphone, not overloading the internal mic, that's the way it sounds in the room):

Sounds like maybe it's clipping somewhere it shouldn't in the Axe, maybe levels got changed a bit and you have digital clipping, or on the input? Definitely sounds like something's off.

That’s what I thought but my levels are fine. Only happens when I dig in on low notes with a Vox model

I guess I'll find out soon, I'm about to update and like splitting my bass to either the SV, or USA 400 for the lows and running the high and high mids through the AC 30 sim (to Bass Cab IRs), if it muddies up the bass on guitar, it will definitely sound like sludge on an actual bass, sounfs like something must not have reset properly, but if you went to a Factory Preset, that shoulfn't be an issue. I'll follow this post, hopefully someone with a deeper understanding of the subtleties of the Axe can chime in, if it's a real issue with the FW, I imagine there'll be Q 9.02 on the horizon shortly.

ok, so I've been a bit skeptical with 9.01. Having trouble with the low end especially with the Vox models. I gave up on my presets and went to the Factory A-Class15 preset. I get this nasty and extreme flub like the amp is broken on low notes when I dig in. Using an XL+, 9.01 and a LP on the factory preset with speaker comp turned OFF (does it when on too). Check it out (recorded on my iphone, not overloading the internal mic, that's the way it sounds in the room):

Try the Cut switch in the Amp block.

I don't know the cab on factory preset - which is it?
I'm hearing a ton of low end in that patch below 125, basically a LOT in 80-100hz range. Sounds like the amp is farting out because you're running too much low end.

Before touching low cutoff, check what your settings are in AMP bass, AMP depth, AMP 63hz and 125hz in GEQ, and then go to CAB and see if proximity knob is more than zero.

After that, do the following in order until you've cut back the bass.
  • reduce proximity knob in cab, if it's more than zero
  • or...try a different AC style cab with less thundering lows
  • reduce depth if it's on
  • reduce bass knob
  • reduce 63hz & 125hz in GEQ
IMO, we are tone sculptures as much as we are guitar players. Learning the tools for sculpting tone and getting used to using them is a very handy skill to learn.

I’ve noticed that too and I think it’s the speaker comp. compressors alway do weird things with noise gates and I also hear the noise while playing until the gate clamps it.
One way to make it happen for everyone to see what I mean is to hit a palm mute on the low string and let it fade out, you’ll hear the noise slowly rise and then hear the gate come on and stop it.
I just tried the 9.01 firmware and faced a similar problem. Even without a input gate I sometimes could hear a crackling noise after firm palm mutes. I played only the Brit 800 amp and the F173 cab, everything to default. When I turned up the gain on the amp the noise disppeard....

I checked cables and stuff and it turned out my volume pot was causing that noise.

Updated, Tweaked my presets, everything sounded great and then turned it off. Next day, everything has a spitty attack with no body. Went back to 9.00beta(which I loved) and it sounds phenomenally great!

Took me 2 days to redo my 36 presets and reset most amps from scratch. Sounds all OK to me.
Am using low settings for the spkr compression though, 0/0,5/1/1.5/2. I prefer do the output eq 80 - 8000Hz on the preamp page instead of setting these the CAB. Seems like the lows are cutout better when equalizing on the preamp side.

Call me crazy but i just rolled back to 8.02. Something wasn't sounding right, almost as if i had a dry signal bleeding through. First time I've ever rolled back.

Sorry you guys are having problems. I've had nothing but huge success with this update.

But I have to say, these are kind of null and void until you post a preset. 95% of the time it's because there is something wrong there. "It doesn't sound good so I rolled back" doesn't solve anything.

He did say he was using a factory preset, and said which one. So, unless he's customized the preset - and the implication of, "I gave up on my presets and went to the Factory A-Class15 preset.", is that he's left it as is - then I don't think he'd need to post the preset. We all have it.

He did say he was using a factory preset, and said which one. So, unless he's customized the preset - and the implication of, "I gave up on my presets and went to the Factory A-Class15 preset.", is that he's left it as is - then I don't think he'd need to post the preset. We all have it.
exactly. straight up factory preset. Didn't flub out like that before. just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this with the Vox amp models.

Okay that is weird. My main preset sounds great but I tried to dial up some new sounds and every one had a huge fluby low end that required extreme low cutting. I thought it was just me but I now need to go back and take a closer look. My Brit silver patch sounds better than ever though.

Sorry you guys are having problems. I've had nothing but huge success with this update.

But I have to say, these are kind of null and void until you post a preset. 95% of the time it's because there is something wrong there. "It doesn't sound good so I rolled back" doesn't solve anything.

I didn't expect it to 'fix' anything really just go back to a version that I am familiar with and know sounds good as is. Perhaps certain settings like MV need to be tweaked on my presets. I recall it being said that setting may be more responsive etc.

I get this nasty and extreme flub like the amp is broken on low notes when I dig in.

I have a matchbox preset from 8.02 and earlier that I thought sounded great on 9.01(AX8). I looked at the amp block and the low cut was up above 200hz so I must have liked it like that before the update. Then, if I lowered it enough, I got the sloppiness too.

As I read it, the comment about posting presets wasn’t targeted at that specific post, but rather at posts like that in general.

Back
Top Bottom