Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 9.01 Firmware Release

Just to append the description of the noise floor issue I am having, it is not the hardware noise floor. That is still perfectly wonderful, silent. My issue is the base noise floor of the amp models, specifically the plexi models. They have always been practically silent and I have never used the noise gate with them, but now they are very noisey especially the 50 watt. Alot of it has to do with the bright cap. Again the overall tone of FWQ9 is amazing and the feel is stunningly good, but I cant use my favorite amps. I have noticed even the clean amps have some noise to them. Again it may be my unit and not the FW but I only noticed the change in amp block noise after the FW upgrade.

No trying to stir anything up, just trying to get to the bottom of my issue.

Thanks again Cliff!

I watched your video and couldn't replicate the noise issues you were experiencing using the exact same amps and cab at their default settings after resetting the amp block, and the noise gate was disabled on my end.

Did you reset the amp block prior to recording that? If so, then I'd attribute the noise to your settings or setup somewhere, because I can't replicate it. If not, try resetting it.

I watched your video and couldn't replicate the noise issues you were experiencing using the exact same amps and cab at their default settings after a block reset, and the noise gate was disabled on my end.

Did you reset the amp block prior to recording that? If so, then I'd attribute the noise to your settings or setup somewhere, because I can't replicate it
Thanks for doing that Jason, I appreciate it. In the vid you can see I start from a black preset, so everything should be at it's default state. With the input grounded, ie nothing plugged in or the guitar vol off, it is of course very very quiet. However, when the input is opened the noise floor of the amp block is, for me, significantly more than it was before my update.

I expect the high gain amps to be noisey, but never had an issue with the plexis before and this seems to affect them. I also dont necessarily understand why the 50 watt plexi is noisier than the 100 watt plexi in my instance. The preamps should be exactly the same, with only the power amps being different, and then only slightly.

Again, I really appreciate the help everyone is offering and the time they are taking to do so.

In the vid you can see I start from a black preset, so everything should be at it's default state. With the input grounded, ie nothing plugged in or the guitar vol off, it is of course very very quiet.
This is the noise floor of the unit. It is not changed by firmware updates.

However, when the input is opened the noise floor of the amp block is, for me, significantly more than it was before my update.
What does "input is opened" mean?

I also dont necessarily understand why the 50 watt plexi is noisier than the 100 watt plexi in my instance. The preamps should be exactly the same, with only the power amps being different, and then only slightly.
The most likely explanation, assuming your physical environment is unchanged, is noise gate settings are different. Reset the noise gate settings.

If that doesn't help, look at your physical environment. Are you sitting closer to a noise source? Is the ground plane on your guitar broken?

Thanks for doing that Jason, I appreciate it. In the vid you can see I start from a black preset, so everything should be at it's default state. With the input grounded, ie nothing plugged in or the guitar vol off, it is of course very very quiet. However, when the input is opened the noise floor of the amp block is, for me, significantly more than it was before my update.

I expect the high gain amps to be noisey, but never had an issue with the plexis before and this seems to affect them. I also dont necessarily understand why the 50 watt plexi is noisier than the 100 watt plexi in my instance. The preamps should be exactly the same, with only the power amps being different, and then only slightly.

Again, I really appreciate the help everyone is offering and the time they are taking to do so.

Here's an example I recorded of the 1959SLP Jump at default settings with the same cab you were using. No noise gate. This sample was level matched to the volume in your video:

As I mentioned, after 9.01 upgrade I noticed noise gate wasn't enough on a few presets. Those presets have been dialed silent for years (at least in my studio) so it was easy to notice. That said, gate was barely suppressing those patches so slightest change would've opened the gate.

No clue why, maybe speaker comp had a tiny influence, but let me emphasize not a problem; I just tweaked threshold a bit and all was good.

This is the noise floor of the unit. It is not changed by firmware updates.

Correct. This is also my understanding and where I am basing my perspective.

What does "input is opened" mean?

When the guitar volume is rolled open to max (or any other value)

The most likely explanation, assuming your physical environment is unchanged, is noise gate settings are different. Reset the noise gate settings.

I always used the noise gate as off on the plexi models. Never needed it before, even with an 808 drive block in front of it. I have also tried the noise gate at default settings (Intelligent, -80bd, 2:1, 1ms, 20ms, 0dB level, Auto input imp) While that does dampen the noise a bit it is still pretty noticeable.

If that doesn't help, look at your physical environment. Are you sitting closer to a noise source? Is the ground plane on your guitar broken?

Nothing has changed in the physical environments (3) that I primarily use the unit in, nor the guitar I use with the unit everyday. Same Mogami cable, same distance from the unit, nothing has moved in any of the 3 rooms.

Looks like it may just be my unit. Which is fine, I only started my conversation with the forum to see if anyone else was having the issue before troubling support with it. I'll try a few more things with it today and if I cant find resolution, I'll contact support.

Thanks so much for the help!

Here's an example I recorded of the 1959SLP Jump at default settings with the same cab you were using. No noise gate. This sample was level matched to the volume in your video:

Jason, that is my experience with that amp as well. If you wouldn't mind, can you do the same for the Plexi 100 High and the Plexi 50 High?
That will allow me to check it against mine. Thank you so much for doing this!

Jason, that is my experience with that amp as well.

The difference in noise level between your sample (from the video) and mine (above) is fairly significant. A/B the noise alone and the difference is stark.

If you wouldn't mind, can you do the same for the Plexi 100 High and the Plexi 50 High?

I'll post a sample of the Plexi 50W Jump at the same volume as the sample above shortly.

Last edited:
Sounds like the noise is still present while you play. Shouldn't be coming from the amp model but rather some kind of interference.

I had an issue with noise as well however, not related to firmware update. Have you tried switching inputs?

My front input all of a sudden became very noisy. I switched to the rear input and it was normal again. I contacted support and they sent me a new front input. Issue resolved! Very easy!

I had an issue with noise as well however, not related to firmware update. Have you tried switching inputs?

My front input all of a sudden became very noisy. I switched to the rear input and it was normal again. I contacted support and they sent me a new front input. Issue resolved! Very easy!
Thank you so much! I just did the comparison and it's night and day. Have a listen and you'll immediately be able to tell why it was driving me batty.

I have no idea why it happened to coincide with the last FW update, but I am glad it's hardware related because the new FW sounds incredible!!!!!

I'll contact support and get a new front input on the way. My sanity has been saved!!! (as I am sure everyone watching this thread has been as well)

Thanks everyone for your patience and help!

I have no idea why it happened to coincide with the last FW update, but I am glad it's hardware related because the new FW sounds incredible!!!!!
Have you compared the Input impedance used in your preset between the old and new firmware? Maybe it got reset to Auto and you had it set to something else?

Have you compared the Input impedance used in your preset between the old and new firmware? Maybe it got reset to Auto and you had it set to something else?
I have. I always leave it set to auto and in the presets that I was trying (including the ones I built from scratch to test with) it was set to auto. It appears to be the input circuit (see my post a few back). I'll start a support ticket to get a new one.

Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom