Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 9.01 Firmware Release

The biggest issue I am having is that while the noise gate works fine when I am not playing, I can still hear the noise from the vid I posted on top of the tone when I am playing. I am positive it wasn't there before, as I rarely run a noisegate on my presets (which is why this became so noticeable to me right after the update). I have tried reinstalling several times and going back as far as FW Q7 with no relief. Next up is to try to wipe the machine and start from scratch. I'll try to post my findings as I go.

Thanks

The biggest issue I am having is that while the noise gate works fine when I am not playing, I can still hear the noise from the vid I posted on top of the tone when I am playing. I am positive it wasn't there before, as I rarely run a noisegate on my presets (which is why this became so noticeable to me right after the update). I have tried reinstalling several times and going back as far as FW Q7 with no relief. Next up is to try to wipe the machine and start from scratch. I'll try to post my findings as I go.

Thanks

Not happening here and those amps you mention are my go-to models.

Is there a specific reason the 50 watt plexi would be noisier than the 100 watt plexi (given same settings and cab/signal chain)? Since I use the plexi models most, I find their noise floor to be pretty high for an amp that doesn't have a tremendous amount of gain. Almost as high a noise level as the 5153 and HBE. Drop a tube screamer in front of it with the drive at zero and it becomes pretty unusable. Granted this is still coming from my setup and I am not entirely convinced there isn't a problem with it, firmware or otherwise. I did a complete wipe today. Erased everything, power cycled and started from scratch and it didn't change anything.

I agree with the assertion that noise is all environment to an extent, but I have duplicated my issues in three different environments with almost no change in the level of noise. One environment was a professional studio, so I would think at the very least my issue would have been minimized there compared to the others but it was not.

I will keep digging with this issue. It's a head scratcher for sure.

I am using the NOISEGATE with the following Settings and Noise Floor is unnoticed.

TYPE: Intelligent
THRESH: -66.2
RATIO: 2.50
ATT: 1.00ms
REL: 20.00ms
LEVEL: 0.0dB
INPUT IMP: AUTO: 1M

Thanks

Im experiencing the same noise issues after installing V9.01 Public Beta on the AX8, i also rolled back firmware and used the AX8 in a few different places and with different systems and its still there, never had a single issue with noise before, V9 sounds great but the noise is annoying, and as you mentioned in another post add a drive pedal and its close to unusable .. Interested to see if you find a solution !

Im experiencing the same noise issues after installing V9.01 Public Beta on the AX8, i also rolled back firmware and used the AX8 in a few different places and with different systems and its still there, never had a single issue with noise before, V9 sounds great but the noise is annoying, and as you mentioned in another post add a drive pedal and its close to unusable .. Interested to see if you find a solution !
Wait, are you guys saying that after you install FW 9.xx then roll back to previous FW the noise remains?

Real amps have more noise than those on the Fractal ecosystem, in my experience anyways, maybe this is a result of them getting closer to replicating real life amps, no a problem when recording and when the band kicks in tho.

That's impossible. The firmware can't alter the hardware. Something else changed in your setup.

That's impossible. The firmware can't alter the hardware. Something else changed in your setup.

Thanks for the reply, there is nothing of note that has changed with my setup, but of course i will keep checking things out further, as i said V9 sounds so good, thanks again for all the improvements !

What is your signal chain? Amp/cab model?

Thanks!
Guitar out to TC ELECTRONIC POLYTUNE, TC BONAFIDE BUFFER, ERNIE BALL VOUME PEDAL, DUNLOP CRY BABY, AXE FX II INSTRUMENT INPUT, AXE FX II OUTPUT I TO MIXER VIA CAB BLOCK F108 JOHN PETRUCCI V30 MIX FOR DIRTY PRESETS, AND MARSHALL 1960 4X12 LMITCHELL CAB FOR MOST CLEAN SOUNDS ( I USE SOME 2X12S AS WELL FOR CLEANS, BUT NOISE FLOOR ON CLEAN HAS NO NOISE GATE AS THERE IS NO NEED FOR ONE), AXE FX I OUTPUT II TO MATRIX GT 800 FX, TO MESA BOOGIE 4 X 12 TRADITIONAL CELESTION V 30S CABINET IN STEREO. Hope this helps. I have no issues with noise floor with the INPUT NOISE GATE on the DIRTY PRESETS, when I'm not playing it is dead silent and I have some extreme gain settings on most DIRTY PRESETS, even with a TS808 DRIVE in front of the AMP BLOCK in the AXE FX II as well. Kudos, FLAV.

Just to append the description of the noise floor issue I am having, it is not the hardware noise floor. That is still perfectly wonderful, silent. My issue is the base noise floor of the amp models, specifically the plexi models. They have always been practically silent and I have never used the noise gate with them, but now they are very noisey especially the 50 watt. Alot of it has to do with the bright cap. Again the overall tone of FWQ9 is amazing and the feel is stunningly good, but I cant use my favorite amps. I have noticed even the clean amps have some noise to them. Again it may be my unit and not the FW but I only noticed the change in amp block noise after the FW upgrade.

No trying to stir anything up, just trying to get to the bottom of my issue.

Thanks again Cliff!

More noise.

I do think the first Beta seemed to have some noise floor increase IMO.
The second Beta and the Final release seem fine or maybe I just tweaked my Noisegate settings along with few other things.
I have my own RF issues in my setting so need a Noisegate on most presets with gain. With Bright switch ON more noise is added- kind of like in real life.
Usually about 80db Threshold, and 1.85 to 2.00 Ratio is where I set it when I use it.
Works very well usually with little impact on tone.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom