Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 9.01 Firmware Release

Maybe it has been addressed already ( I can't seem to find anything on it), but is anyone else wondering what the " Motor Time Const" knob does?
Theres so many knobs and I know a bunch have changed or been removed - and these are pages I'm not typically in....
I have doesn't seem to do much to me - I do have the "Speaker Comp" set at 0 - unsure if you have to have that up in order for the Motor time knob to work.....

If I install this coming from FW 7, what definite tweaks will I need to make aside from the standard typical adjustments? Running full FRFR and FOH.

Thanks.
"Standard typical adjustments" are fine, depending on what you mean by "standard typical adjustments."

"Definite tweaks?" There's no such thing. Honest.

...is anyone else wondering what the " Motor Time Const" knob does?
You mean SPKR TIME CONST?
At low values of Speaker Time Constant, the voice coil heating effect is quick. Pluck a note, the voice coil heats up. Release the note, it cools off quickly. Compression ramps up and down as each note begins and ends.

At high values, it takes longer for the voice coil to heat up. Pluck a note and let it ring out: the voice coil heats more slowly, and compression comes in more slowly. Release the note, and compression rolls off more slowly. A fast run of notes might have a cumulative effect on temperature and compression.

In other words, as @DLC86 said, it's pretty much the same as attack and release on a compressor.

...doesn't seem to do much to me - I do have the "Speaker Comp" set at 0 - unsure if you have to have that up in order for the Motor time knob to work.....
That's why. It's like your car: it doesn't matter which way you move the steering wheel if you haven't pressed the gas pedal. :)

Last edited:
Bass Mids Treble and Gain are what most here consider standard typical adjustments.
Bass, Mid, Treble, Input Drive, Master Volume, Presence, Depth? "Standard typical" is a personal call. And sometimes not needed at all.

Definite required tweaks are typically needed in almost every update. I think after a quick look it may be speaker compression?
Speaker Compression is the big change (the release notes are always the gold standard for what's changed), but it's not a required tweak.

Is it me, or is this firmware update thing turning like the iPhone iOS updates???
It is what it is.
Only the quantum foam knows what functions will be modelled next.
It would be nice if it never stops, IMO.
I put all FW versions in a folder for future use. What could be better that that? There's a demo I did about two years ago, with a track using ~13.x that for whatever reason sounded perfect (might be I got used to it) so to re-track the same tone, I just load the appropriate FW - as long as i have labeled the FW and preset on the track in the DAW. I have a backup ROM on order, so I won't be getting the jitters on updates so it's all good now - that reminds me, I have to get a spare tire for my car..

It is what it is.
Only the quantum foam knows what functions will be modelled next.
It would be nice if it never stops, IMO.
I put all FW versions in a folder for future use. What could be better that that? There's a demo I did about two years ago, with a track using ~13.x that for whatever reason sounded perfect (might be I got used to it) so to re-track the same tone, I just load the appropriate FW - as long as i have labeled the FW and preset on the track in the DAW. I have a backup ROM on order, so I won't be getting the jitters on updates so it's all good now - that reminds me, I have to get a spare tire for my car..
Another option is to use USB audio into your DAW, record some samples of your presets, then use that to tone match after the update, after you've tweaked the gain to be the same. That said, it only takes a couple minutes to do a complete backup... I do one regularly every time I get into a tweaking session, and ALWAYS when moving to a new Firmware release.

For my old covers band, I stopped updating my 250+ per song presets way back in pre quantum FW 17.03 .... When/if I ever need to gig/jam I simply reload 17.03 and restore the banks/cabs and away we go, everything is perfectly set and sounds great, no need to bother redoing all that every couple months.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I finally updated today from v8.02 purely for the reason of being able to continue downloading others new presets. I was quite happy with the sounds of the previous firmware so I haven't reset any amp blocks or parameters. The good news (for me) is that nothing has changed. My presets all sound as awesome as before and I have no issues with spk drive or cab thingy:).

So basically I've got the best of both worlds, my favourite presets untouched but able to continue enjoying others presets as they become available. Happy days.

My experience anyway.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom