Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 9.01 Firmware Release

Thank you so much for the continual firmware updates Clif & Fractal Team!

I loaded 9.01 last night, but unfortunately at least 3/4 of my presets used fair to moderate amounts of "Xformer Grind" (Transformer Grind)..

I LOVED that parameter, but sadly it went away with 9.00...

I often used it in place of Presence, Dynamic Presence, and high treble EQ.
I'm sure I can mimic it with "Dynamic Presence, Presence, and/or EQ, but nothing sounds quite the same (obviously)..

So my question to Cliff or any one else that might be able to help, is:

What parameter can I use in place of Xformer Grind?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the continual firmware updates Clif & Fractal Team!

I loaded 9.01 last night, but unfortunately at least 3/4 of my presets used the fair to moderate amounts of "Xformer Grind" (Transformer Grind)..
I LOVED that parameter, but sadly it went away with 9.00...

I often used it in place of Presence, Dynamic Presence, and high treble EQ.
I'm sure I can mimic it with "Dynamic Presence, Presence, and/or EQ, but nothing sounds quite the same (obviously)..

So my question to Cliff or any one else that might be able to help, is:

What parameter can I use in place of Xformer Grind?

Thanks!

I haven't played around with 'Grind' much but I tried (couple times) to brighten some tones using Xformer matching and got a bit more torqued and ballsy bright tone without hash or spitting - nice smooth but metallic timbre. I haven't tried the Xformer grind if that's a separate parameter.

When I brighten using Xformer matching I hear something that I haven't quite managed with just EQ., but it may just take more EQ blocks between stages to get the same effect. Anyway, if transformer grind does something special, maybe there can be a 'Xformer Grind' drive block in the future?

I haven't played around with 'Grind' much but I tried (couple times) to brighten some tones using Xformer matching and got a bit more torqued and ballsy bright tone without hash or spitting - nice smooth but metallic timbre. I haven't tried the Xformer grind if that's a separate parameter.

When I brighten using Xformer matching I hear something that I haven't quite managed with just EQ., but it may just take more EQ blocks between stages to get the same effect. Anyway, if transformer grind does something special, maybe there can be a 'Xformer Grind' drive block in the future?

"Xformer matching" huh? I'll give it a try.. Thanks! :)
One of the things I liked about the Xformer Grind though was it's spitty/raspiness.. I find myself drawn to using a ton of mids on all my lead tones, so I needed that extra spitty/raspiness to make up for the drowning of presence due to the mid boost, otherwise my tones sound rather flatulent.. lol!

Anyway, Cliff gave me a link to 8.01 so I could revert back to my original sounds, but I think I'll mess around with 9.01 a bit more before I revert back.

Thanks again for your help/advice. :)

For some reason, when I switch to a preset or do a new patch that uses a user cabinet, the patch goes silent. Anyone else have this problem?

Tomorrow I'll upgrade all my patches to 9.01 from 8.02 (came from 6.03 without very much tweaking), is there any starting point to be made before tweaking ?

I noted there were variables in the AMP block
Spkr drv + Time const (200ms)

And in the CAB block :
Motor drv & Time const (200ms)

Working exclusively with FRFR I suppose I should start with putting the CAB block variables to zero (mtr drv & time const) and AMP block spr time constant to 100ms, then adjust spkr drive to taste.

Is that correct ?

Thks for any help.

For some reason, when I switch to a preset or do a new patch that uses a user cabinet, the patch goes silent. Anyone else have this problem?
Is there an actual IR loaded in the user cab slot that the preset is using?

Just updated from 8.02 to 9.01... didn't install 9 or betas in between... and just had my first AE timeout and then subsequent Axe crash in nearly a year (since the whole divide by 0 thingy a while back). I was about an hour into updating presets when the timeout occurred. Axe screen went blank about 30 secs later and then looked like it was rebooting with the Quantum splash page, but it just froze. Everything came back up after manual powercycle though. I'll keep at it with 9.01 and see if it was a fluke.

Tomorrow I'll upgrade all my patches to 9.01 from 8.02 (came from 6.03 without very much tweaking), is there any starting point to be made before tweaking ?

I noted there were variables in the AMP block
Spkr drv + Time const (200ms)

And in the CAB block :
Motor drv & Time const (200ms)

Working exclusively with FRFR I suppose I should start with putting the CAB block variables to zero (mtr drv & time const) and AMP block spr time constant to 100ms, then adjust spkr drive to taste.

Is that correct ?

Thks for any help.

Coocoo ? somebody there ?

Just gigged with 9.01 at a Halloween party in Breckinridge Colorado.

Pin em to the wall volume and the guitar was a cross between a light saber and an F16 engine at full throttle.

Freaking amazing! It slayed the room. Will need to play at a more reasonable volume to report on any subtleties, but on loud it killed.

Thaaaaaaaaank's FAS. I have probably been a pain in the neck about this but neeeeed this to work... Yeah I'm happy (if it works anyway) :) :)

Is there an actual IR loaded in the user cab slot that the preset is using?
It shows up in the cab slot with the name of the user cab. I even tried the factory patches and they worked fine until I change the factory
cab to a user one. I have all of my user slots full of cabs and have tried many of them and none work. It must be something simple but I will need more time with it to play around with controls. I think it is just since the newest update.

Back
Top Bottom