Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 9.00 Firmware Release

Don't get too comfortable with this firmware. I had an epiphany a few days ago and have been crunching equations and coding like mad since then. I realized I wasn't adjusting the speaker impedance curve to coincide with the compression. As the speaker compresses its impedance curve changes. Makes a big difference. Tighter low end and clearer highs. The math is a bit of a bear but I finally cracked it this morning.

latest

Attachments

• Flux-Capacitor.jpg
    Flux-Capacitor.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 4
Don't get too comfortable with this firmware. I had an epiphany a few days ago and have been crunching equations and coding like mad since then. I realized I wasn't adjusting the speaker impedance curve to coincide with the compression. As the speaker compresses its impedance curve changes. Makes a big difference. Tighter low end and clearer highs. The math is a bit of a bear but I finally cracked it this morning.

Man.... :) As someone with a Bachelor's in Electrical Engineering, and a Master's in Mathematics, it just sounds like it would be fun to sit around and talk about this stuff with a round of beers. :)

Another eCliffphany can only mean goodness is on the way...soon!

Will the impedance curve change similar to the cabs in the selected IR?

Did building the load box spur any new ideas? This revelation made me wonder if it stewed from the load box development.

I was holding off on updating because I’ve realized that if a fair amount of people are saying something is different in a not good way, a new killer firmware is absolutely coming our way. I swear whenever the vast majority of people aren't just loving a new firmware Cliff will realize some tweak that can be made and then the next update is amazing.

To get the benefit of FW9, I reset(double clicked bypass) the amp blocks and started over on each amp to get the 'wow' out of this! I did have to go with a different amp on a few of them but the end result was spectacular! Doing this gave the end result of less mud and more cut through with way more character and feel! PS. Turned overdrive settings down.
This is pretty much my experience, and I know users have their "go to" presets, and that may be difficult, but a complete re-dial has solved it for me..

Fascinating that Cliff has another discovery to work from!

Last edited:

This open mind thinking and been spontaneously honest about it, is one of a kind for me :)
(that being said from working within IT where hiding is everything Lol )

first gig with it last night. settings above 3 definitely have a detrimental effect, imo. this parameter responds very differently than the old motor drive. i did get the feeling that something wasn't quite right with it and cliff seems to have confirmed my suspicions. the other tweaks that cliff did do sound really good though. looking forward to the next revision...i'm sure it will sound killer!

What do you mean.. Normal position are Attack=Flat, Grunt=Raw ?. The pedal have 3 positions (Up,Middle,down)

lol..
On the Real B7K Attack have 3 position.. Flat ..Boost..Cut
And Grunt have..3 position ..Fat..Thin..Raw

Then your answer would be .. Attack was BOOST And Grunt was THIN

Thanks Seed. I hope they soon get a version with Attack/Flat and Grunt/Raw

Thats exactly what I'd hoped for!

Hmm... I was going to record some parts today for some tunes. I wonder if I should wait? My band mates shake their head me because over the past year and a half I’ve redone some parts a few times because I discover some new amp, IR etc.

In the end I’ll probably record today... but won’t promise anything.

I'm really excited to see the development moving towards speaker/cab simulation. I always felt it's (or was) the weak link in modeling. Can't wait to try it!

I wonder if this impedance curve variation depends only on the compression amount or if it changes with different speakers' attributes (eg: speaker diameter, voice coil diameter, coil wire awg, magnet composition, etc.)

I Imagine the definitive speaker/cab sim as a tab where the user inserts all the basic characteristics of a speaker, number of speakers and cab dimensions and the algorhythm calculates all the non-linear behaviours of that particular configuration based on the output power of the selected amp.

Back
Top Bottom