Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 9.00 Firmware Release

Exactly. I still hope there is a way to run a real cab on stage and FRFR to the FOH mixer with realistic results for both, to avoid having to mic the cab and EQ it at the FOH mixer. Most mixers offer very limited low/high cuts and EQ capabilities compared to the Axe Fx.

Musicman0001, I wouldn't bother until you've bought a plot of land and built a fresh house on it. You don't want your Q9 experience to be weighed down by the memories of past tones that the walls in your house are imbued with. Don't even bother updating from Q8.2 otherwise.

"the memories of past tones that the walls in your house" -- I laughed. :)

It's Cliff's fault - he sneaked in an ultra long reverb tail, measured in months, into Q8.2. It will take years to clear the air and move on now. Damn you Fractal Audio!

It's Cliff's fault - he sneaked in an ultra long reverb tail, measured in months, into Q8.2. It will take years to clear the air and move on now. Damn you Fractal Audio!

This reverb is being absorbed over months and years by the walls and converted from acoustic energy into heat energy. However, the information about what it used to be is still there - it wouldn’t even be erased if you played the axe right into a black hole as Mr. Hawking discovered. So beware of bad sound within old walls!

It seems nobody understands what resetting does : it just sets default values to parameters, it doesn't load any new algorithm, as the parameters are precisely what drive the algorithm behavior. So resetting is never "needed", it's only a good thing if you want your preset to be restarted from scratch and have the default intended behavior of the real world amp (which is not always a good thing)
Exactly! I reset because I want to re-work a preset from scratch. Excuse me for not replying to the original comment, but this is pretty germane to understanding the evolution of the product so I just want to give my thoughts.

Introducing the new Speaker Compression Drive Algorithm (and removal of the earlier Motor Drive and Transformer Grind algorithms) means that their is literally no way for Cliff to create a version of the new parameters that duplicate the effect of the earlier ones. So Your Spkr Comp parameter in its un-edited setting may sound strange with the new Firmware 9.00. But regardless, you have 5 options. 1) You don't load the new Firmware. 2) Or you load it and just use your ear and turn knobs. 3) You load it and turn the Speaker Compression towards 3 and find the best setting. Or (assuming you're preset already includes changes to the default parameter settings), if you want a jumping-off-point that makes sense with respect to the character of your preset's amp model, you either 4) do a reset of either the entire amp and all parameters (which covers the complete interaction of Cliff's new parameters with any existing & unchanged ones) or 5) a reset minus the main amp page knobs of Drive/Bass/Treb etc.

When I did a reset of the original Fractal Presets (incl the main amp settings), the results were incredible. It was the easiest time I've had doing edits on these presets. This is because the new Spkr Comp is a dramatic step towards... perfection of graphical interaction with virtual representations of the amps. If some of your preset's parameters effected by the updated algorithms have been edited away from the (unchanging or new) defaults, you won't get that unless you do a reset (4) or (5).

That's what I understand.

Last edited:
Hey Guys, The new Axe Edit for Quantum 9.0 for MAC users link is up on the Fractal page, but apparently the link is not working, as it sends you to another download page, but Axe Edit does not download. Is it just me, or anyone else getting this...?

Hey Guys, The new Axe Edit for Quantum 9.0 for MAC users link is up on the Fractal page, but apparently the link is not working, as it sends you to another download page, but Axe Edit does not download. Is it just me, or anyone else getting this...?
Never mind, it is up now!!!

Exactly. I still hope there is a way to run a real cab on stage and FRFR to the FOH mixer with realistic results for both, to avoid having to mic the cab and EQ it at the FOH mixer. Most mixers offer very limited low/high cuts and EQ capabilities compared to the Axe Fx.

You would have to run 2 amp blocks in parallel with identical settings EXCEPT one would have speaker comp on and one would have it off. Then each amp would have to be routed to the appropriate outputs to go through cab block to FRFR or direct to guitar cabs as needed.

Ok. So now we have Spkr Comp in the amp block as well as Motor Drive in the cab block.

I’ll have to experiment and see how - or if - they work together.

Thanks Cliffster. Going to bring the XL+ in from the trailer... needs a good cleaning anyway. Now I have actual incentive to do it!

Back
Top Bottom