Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 9.00 Firmware Release

Nonetheless, I prefer the sound FW 8.02 to 9 myself on the whole -- even though the new SPKR COMP is dope, turn it up and turn the volume up a few db to compensate.

My quick take: I can understand why people might think 8.02 is better for live if using the same settings. To me, 9.0 seems to handle treble and presence controls a bit more pleasantly, but that means that I can now dial in more treble and high mids to the sound and not get as raspy a sound as I would have had in 8.02.

I guess I’d suggest just treating the new firmware like you would an amp after changing all the tubes: you wouldn’t have left all the controls the same after that, would you?

Cliff,

When you say "The model was obtained with the Attack and Grunt switches in the middle positions" what do you mean? Middle position of the button or middle position of EQ?

Darkglass B7K Attack switch have flat eq on the top position of Grunt switch have flat eq on down position.

What position has modeling? Several users are waiting to know this.

Thanks

So for us lesser mortals who use SS power amps and real guitar speakers for live gigs, as the Spkr Comp knob now defaults to 3, then I have to go through EVERY amp I use and reset this to Zero :eek: Maybe give this update a miss :(

Cliff,

When you say "The model was obtained with the Attack and Grunt switches in the middle positions" what do you mean? Middle position of the button or middle position of EQ?

Darkglass B7K Attack switch have flat eq on the top position of Grunt switch have flat eq on down position.

What position has modeling? Several users are waiting to know this.

Thanks
On the Real B7K Attack have 3 position.. Flat ..Boost..Cut.
And Grunt have..3 position ..Fat..Thin..Raw
WEB_Image%20Darkglass%20B7K%201308284535.Jpeg

So for us lesser mortals who use SS power amps and real guitar speakers for live gigs, as the Spkr Comp knob now defaults to 3, then I have to go through EVERY amp I use and reset this to Zero :eek: Maybe give this update a miss :(
Only defaults to '3' if you do a specific reset procedure. (double-click on the 'FX bypass' button on the front panel while the Amp block is selected for editing).

Only if you reset the block, which requires you to touch each amp to get the default of 3; otherwise it stays where you have motor drive today in your presets (If looking at AXE EDIT - prior to FAS updating it).

If you are using the newest presets from Fractal, you really want to go see where MOTOR DRIVE is set, as that value fills the SPKR COMP value.

It's a useful exercise to try this out regardless; I found last night (w/ a strat) setting it to "0" usually the best place, but on '59 Bassmaster I set it at 1.3

I plan on trying with with HB's later today and see if I feel differently. The point raised about "makeup" is a good one.

YMMV.

Last edited:
My quick take: I can understand why people might think 8.02 is better for live if using the same settings. To me, 9.0 seems to handle treble and presence controls a bit more pleasantly, but that means that I can now dial in more treble and high mids to the sound and not get as raspy a sound as I would have had in 8.02.

I guess I’d suggest just treating the new firmware like you would an amp after changing all the tubes: you wouldn’t have left all the controls the same after that, would you?

Preamp Dynamics 0.50 solved my problem! :)

Even thru my matrix and cab, I still like the speaker comp at 3-4. It does what the speaker does naturally but at lower volume which is nice. At the end of the day it’s just a compressor evening out the dynamics like a cab does when crancked.

I went back to 8.02. I adjusted everything and it just sounds better to me on the older firmware. Its not as tight. I see I am not the only one on this. Well hopefully someone can come up with a way to make it sound tight again because no matter how I adjusted the compression versus volume the tone is not the same.
Same feeling here... At least on high gain

yeah, i like it on similar values as well. just updated and found some of the very vintage amps didn't like it set higher than 3. sounded too muddy. the plexis sound glorious, even with a setting of 5.
if you use frfr, then this for me, is the real deal. brings back all that lovely speaker compression you get with real cabs, but you don't get with pa monitors.
pretty painless update. just a few levels to tweak, some slight adjustments to speaker drive and that was it.

How tight is a cranked highgain amp like Recti, Diezel? Can our ears hear the difference of the thightness when we play in front of a real loud cab?

looking forward to this one very much...
I'm off on tour in a few weeks though so I'll have to wait until late November..
booooooo ! ! ! !

I must admit that I'm still not sure how the new speaker comp should set when using a SS power amp and traditional guitar cab. I get that if you use a tube guitar power amp and traditional cab you should probably not use it for realistic results, but what about the first scenario?

I must admit that I'm still not sure how the new speaker comp should set when using a SS power amp and traditional guitar cab. I get that if you use a tube guitar power amp and traditional cab you should probably not use it for realistic results, but what about the first scenario?

All my posts in this thread are about using a Matrix GT1000FX and a stereo pair of 2x12s loaded w V30s. I find "0" best so far for most amps, however 59 bassman liked 1.3 - will try a different guitar when I'm able.

Go ahead and try it ... you can change it from 0-10(?). I hear it killing tone/separation at most settings above zero. YMMV.

I’m thinking use it, as it’d be the speaker load on the power amp that’s causing most of the Compression going on inside the circuitry. Aside from the physical movements and physics going on inside the speaker & cab itself, but that’s already going to happen naturally cause that’s what your using.

hey guys,

I do not know whether this was always a standard behaviour, but I feel like the model class A-30 Brt is really quiet now, like not enough volume. Was that always like that?

How tight is a cranked highgain amp like Recti, Diezel? Can our ears hear the difference of the thightness when we play in front of a real loud cab?
I'm wondering this as well. Haven't had the chance to update yet and Recto 2 Red Modern is all I care about.

Back
Top Bottom