Why don‘t you guys with timeouts (sorry, axe timeouts) list

Start of timeouts with FW xx (8 or 9b)
PC/ MAC
OSX/Windows Version
USB cable type
USB cable length
hub/dock used
reproducible (how?) occasional timeout

with a survey to help the man track down the sucker?
Numerous threads in the Axe edit forum...
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-edit-constant-crashes.127344/

And most of us have compared what OS, what connection, numerous cables. This has been going on for 6 month...and isn't just a handful guys.

I’ve never had a timeout, running Win 10 current on all updates, on a laptop with Nvidia Drivers. I’ll run iTunes thru the AxeFX as well along with YouTube & every other thing. Not that I do it a lot though.
It is a IIXL+ as well though.
I’ll also leave it on for days at a time thru multiple sleep/wake cycles leaving Axe Edit open most of the time as I bought the laptop basically just for music and the AxeFX. So pretty much only Axe Edit, Fractal Bot, Cab Lab, Cubase & iTunes is installed.
And I’m using a 20 foot USB Cord to connect the laptop to the AxeFX.
That’s about all I can think of..

I’ve never had a timeout, running Win 10 current on all updates, on a laptop with Nvidia Drivers. I’ll run iTunes thru the AxeFX as well along with YouTube & every other thing. Not that I do it a lot though.
It is a IIXL+ as well though.
I’ll also leave it on for days at a time thru multiple sleep/wake cycles leaving Axe Edit open most of the time as I bought the laptop basically just for music and the AxeFX. So pretty much only Axe Edit, Fractal Bot, Cab Lab, Cubase & iTunes is installed.
And I’m using a 20 foot USB Cord to connect the laptop to the AxeFX.
That’s about all I can think of..

I used to have a lot timeouts with fw 8.xx. Now with 9 Beta non so far. As FAS has already stated, that they have found the reason for those timeouts, I'm sure it has nothing to do with hardware or user errors and I'm sure Cliff will have it fixed with the next release of Axe-Edit. ;)

This is a BETA FW. It is public here so competent experienced users can Test/Try the new FW and help find bugs before the official release.

If you can describe the exact steps performed so Fractal can try to reproduce the anomaly and then fix the code as a result of your help.
or
You should reinstall back to a point where you were happy instead of complaining in the BETA thread?
waaff I was happy with the FW 7.00 no quantum.
I was not happy, because now it sounds better, of course, but before there were no such mistakes with AE, it happened once a week, now the connection is lost every time I touch some adjustment.
And it started to malfunction with Quantum Fw. With the quantum 7.00 bad, with the quantum 8.00 worse.

And this is how the entire crazy *** runaway freight train forum pile ons happen... Don't like it sell it.
When did this nonsense happen. Just because some guys that still haven't learned how to turn a knob unless Cliff or Matt hold their hand and do know how to type... the rest of us using this gear for decade have to argue about this?!
The internet is getting funnier every day...
I am not new with the axe, I have since at least 5 years

If this is the first time a user complaining of problems over multiple firmware's has been recommended to sell then OK. If its OK with you yek then who am I to say different.:)
The problem is discussed in the thread add nausea no?
Does another complaint in a BETA thread really help? ...is it useful to beat the code guy trying to fix it over the head ??

Perhaps a poll/bitch thread would be more useful instead of complaining here is all I was nicely stating.
I found those complaint posts to be quite rude and not helpful.

Kindest regards.
I wish that you have a problem with your Ax, that you do not know how to solve it and that nobody helps you, and also that they put it in your face like you do.
I am not here to annoy, I am to solve a problem, if it bothers you, do not read these post

We're still trying to reproduce the comm timeout problem here. We've tried multiple computers, different versions of the Axe-Fx, etc. and still no luck. We have a customer shipping us his laptop so we can try to reproduce it with that.

Cliff, here's my recipe for the 'Communication Timeout':

Ingredients:
- 1x MAC with OS Sierra (latest version)
- 1x USB 2 cable (1.8m / 6ft). Don't bother with an expensive one, a standard will do just fine.
- 1x Axe-Fx 2 (not the XL/XL+). Does babies have no issues
- 1x Axe-Edit latest version (download from Fractal Audio)
- 1x Firmware v8.02 (download from Fractal Audio)
- 1x MAC OSX drivers (download from Fractal Audio)
- 1x Headphone (your choice)

Optional:
MFC-101 with latest firmware installed and an ethernet cable to connect to the Axe-fx

Directions:
- Take the MAC and install the drivers, Axe-Edit and VLC ).
- Connect the MAC to the Axe-Fx via USB cable.
- Switch on the Axe-fx and load your favourite preset.
- Plug in your guitar and headphones into the Axe-Fx
- Play for a bit (5,10, 30 min, 1 or 2hrs). It doesn't matter, no 'Communication Timeout ' will occur
- Launch VLC or QuickTime (should be available on the MAC) and play along your favourite song
- keep playing (2, 5,10 or 30 min). Sit tight, keep playing and don't worry, it will happen.

Hope this helps ;)

Ingredients:
- 1x USB 2 cable (1.8m / 6ft). Don't bother with an expensive one, a standard will do just fine.

Optional:
MFC-101 with latest firmware installed and an ethernet cable to connect to the Axe-fx

Directions:
- Play for a bit (5,10, 30 min, 1 or 2hrs). It doesn't matter, no 'Communication Timeout ' will occur
- Launch VLC or QuickTime (should be available on the MAC) and play along your favourite song
- keep playing (2, 5,10 or 30 min). Sit tight, keep playing and don't worry, it will happen.

Hope this helps ;)
My variation on this...load Axe and another soundcard as aggregate device
when making changes to the bypass state of a block it'll time out usually the 5th or so time something is switched.

It feels stunningwashes whiter? ;-)

My sentiments exactly.

I have never really figured out if Ed isn't an English speaking person or his thumbs don't fit on the phone he is typing on.....

Hypothesis: He's from a cultural background where every new generation of washing powder is advertised to outperform its predecessor by whashing cloth even more white. At least in Germany "weißer als weiß" is a common idiom to denounce that it is impossible to exceed perfection.

when making changes to the bypass state of a block it'll time out usually the 5th or so time something is switched.
Aggregate devices have never been supported. What happens if you don’t use an aggregate?

Aggregate devices have never been supported. What happens if you don’t use an aggregate?
FWIW, I use XL+ in aggregate with Apollo and IconnectMidi, and have not experienced any timeouts on my high end Macs, since The similar(?) bug that took down mine and numerous other systems on Q6.01-2 thatFAS quashed, at least for me. 9.0b has been rock solid so far....

Fractal Audio Systems Forum - Error
This member limits who may view their full profile. :(
This is unfortunate, as I (and many I suspect) use this link to "cut to the Chase" as it were, and see quickly and easily what is most relevant and important. Now ... not so quick / easy. - will try to use search.

The common denominators seems to be the Axe-Fx Mk I or Mk II and using USB audio while making edits with 'Axe-Edit'. This includes 'Tone Matching' with USB as the source. Sometimes I can go for an hour without an issue, sometimes a few seconds.

Ingredients:

Optional:

Directions:

Hope this helps ;)

Very good report to assist them in finding the anomaly...unlike the other little bitch/complaining posts that just are not helpful.

Not that I'm an expert or anything: but USB timeouts are related to USB protocols and are part of the entire computer landscape. I'd guess there isn't anything more that can be done from the AxeFX as a "peripheral" device. USB is a host/peripheral protocol, not peer to peer, so even onboard (the PC) AxeEdit software, with djently crafted insistence, is unlikely to be able to seize complete control over the endless USB routines of the OS over a variety of different hardware implementations and the needy clamoring of other software drivers: which is why different users have such varied experiences

Last edited:
And the brights brighter? :D Definitely reminds me of an old clothes washing powder advert we used to get brainwashed with on TV when I was a kid. :eek:

Love it, thanks for the trip down memory lane!

I'm sure at this point the AxeFx is 99.44/100% pure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom