Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 9.00 Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the sound of people actually playing through the new beta and can't stop long enough to give an update. My feedback is that it's better than 8.02 (which I was silently not real happy with). I feel the attack of the pick is a little less obtrusive for me when using the motor drive option. The hard pick attack has always been an issue with me but was much worse on 8.02. Something changed in the distortion quality as well (as far as I can tell, but I might be imagining things again). Anyway, very happy to see the direction that this is going. Thanks for your relentless efforts Cliff and team!

I’ve always been fighting with that, glad that I’m not alone and that seems to get better with Q9. I hope it’ll be available to us, the AX8 users, soon.

You are not alone!
I like that kind of "metallic chirp" transient in the note attack.
Ok, now I'm curious.

In the past have always enjoy amps that chirp, squawk & generally misbehave a bit under varying pick articulation. One of my favorite things actually.

Look forward to the final release of V9 to check it out. Cool ... ... ....

In the past have always enjoy amps that chirp, squawk & generally misbehave a bit under varying pick articulation.

Not shure if we are talking about the same thing man.
Don't think that the "pick chirp" is exactly an "amp misbehave"...
I think is more something like a "fast tracking/rendering of the pick attack"... just a transient when the pick touch the string... like the pick was made of metal...

Not shure if we are talking about the same thing man.
Don't think that the "pick chirp" is exactly an "amp misbehave"...
I think is more something like a "fast tracking/rendering of the pick attack"... just a transient when the pick touch the string... like the pick was made of metal...
Ok, gotcha.

Are folks with the repeated timeout issues using other Axe II MIDI functions when the timeouts occur? MFC-101? Front panel? Other MIDI controllers? Set as active MIDI device in DAW?

I personally have had practically no timeout issues, but I also make it a point to never use the front panel or MFC-101 while using Axe Edit without first pausing it's communication. I also usually don't have the Axe II set as an active MIDI device in my DAW (Reaper). I'm on Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1703 on a 7 year old Intel i5 based home brew desktop PC.

We should maybe start a separate thread where people can post their hardware and OS info along with any details on timeouts they've had or not had. Perhaps some common factors might surface.

I've got a very basic setup: iMac (with Sierra 10.12.6) connected to the Axe-Fx 2 via USB. From the Axe either headphone or XLR to SS amp and 2x12 cab. That's it. I don't use a DAW or external sound card. What I can say is this. As soon as I listen via VLC or QuickTime to a song as play along the 'Communication Timeout' occurs. When I just play through the Axe no problems at all.

This has been my setup ever since I've bought the Axe over 4 years ago. The 'Communication Timeout' started for me (and apparently for many others) with FM 8/Axe-Edit 3.14.2. This seems to affect only older Axe models. Axe Xl/ XL+ are not affected I think.

...and to answer the question.Yes, I do pause the Axe-Edit during my playing as I use Scene and want gap-less switching. I don't use the front panel only the Axe-Edit. I've also tried FracPad and AxeLive the issue remains.

My guess is that there are several different causes of the USB problem. Some Windows 10 users will have suffered when USB goes to sleep to save power. OS-X has a different set of problems, which probably vary with OS version and hardware platform.

I've got a very basic setup: iMac (with Sierra 10.12.6) connected to the Axe-Fx 2 via USB. From the Axe either headphone or XLR to SS amp and 2x12 cab. That's it. I don't use a DAW or external sound card. What I can say is this. As soon as I listen via VLC or QuickTime to a song as play along the 'Communication Timeout' occurs. When I just play through the Axe no problems at all.

This has been my setup ever since I've bought the Axe over 4 years ago. The 'Communication Timeout' started for me (and apparently for many others) with FM 8/Axe-Edit 3.14.2. This seems to affect only older Axe models. Axe Xl/ XL+ are not affected I think.

...and to answer the question.Yes, I do pause the Axe-Edit during my playing as I use Scene and want gap-less switching. I don't use the front panel only the Axe-Edit. I've also tried FracPad and AxeLive the issue remains.
I wonder if this is a common issue among those who use native sound cards - Its been my experience that aside from ASIO, there are some less nuanced implementations out there - even if its Apple doing it. (Uh oh, careful not to disturb the Apple user-base hornets nest). I'm a PC user, using VLC, and constantly using my DAW and youtube and the AXE FX II simultaneously and the output from VLC is going to my Fireface 400. I've had no issues aside from Ableton Live (the one DAW that isn't happy with my simultaneous use of youtube and DAW). Possibly the Fireface driver has so much development behind it, that it is super-aware of the "rest of the team". I imagine if a driver got stingy it would be difficult for Fractal to remedy.

You are not alone!
I like that kind of "metallic chirp" transient in the note attack.
For the record, I love that the new firmware doesn’t have the ‘can’t get rid of it’ pick attack sound but understand why in some cases it would be useful. I hope cranking the pick attach parameter up gives you what you want.

Axe-Fx II Quantum Firmware Release Notes

Removed the “Motor Drive” and “Transformer Grind” algorithms and associated parameters from the Amp block. These have been replaced by the new “Speaker Compression” algorithm. This algorithm models the interaction of the power amp with the power compression of the virtual speaker. The “Spkr Comp” parameter controls the amount of virtual speaker compression. This value defaults to 3.0 when the Amp block is reset. It does not get reset when changing the model. If using the Axe-Fx II with a tube power amp and conventional guitar cab you may want to reduce this value to 0.0. The gain reduction meter shows the amount of virtual power compression (select the Spkr Comp knob to monitor the gain reduction). Typical guitar speakers compress between 3 and 6 dB depending upon construction, age, volume, etc. The default value is conservative and yields about 3 dB of compression.

Note that the Master Volume control will interact considerably with the Speaker Compression algorithm as will the Presence and Depth controls. Higher values of Master Volume will cause more virtual speaker compression.

Improved Delay block. Also reworked the Deluxe Mind Guy, Mono BBD and Stereo BBD delay models based on the improvements.
I hope you can solve the communication between AXE-FX and AxeEdit. Because it gives a lot of rage not being able to use it properly since it will happen once you touch some parameter AE is disconnected and you have to restart everything

Finally got the courage to upgrade from 8.02 after reading all the entries of how small the tweaks are. Overall sounds closer to the real amp than 8.02 (at least the amps have have selected, I usually use the boogie models and tri-axis and now I can get away without having a tube screamer in front of the amp model. It does require more tweaking on my presets than other people described but definitely worth the upgrade.

I hope you can solve the communication between AXE-FX and AxeEdit. Because it gives a lot of rage not being able to use it properly since it will happen once you touch some parameter AE is disconnected and you have to restart everything

This is a BETA FW. It is public here so competent experienced users can Test/Try the new FW and help find bugs before the official release.

If you can describe the exact steps performed so Fractal can try to reproduce the anomaly and then fix the code as a result of your help.
or
You should reinstall back to a point where you were happy instead of complaining in the BETA thread?

This is a BETA FW. It is public here so competent experienced users can Test/Try the new FW and help find bugs before the official release.

If you can describe the exact steps performed so Fractal can try to reproduce the anomaly and then fix the code as a result of your help.
or
You should reinstall back to a point where you were happy instead of complaining in the BETA thread?

Reinstall back would be public 8.02 and have same problem and for me even worse. Note: there are several users with this problem.

Okay, here is the really bad news. The weekend is over and odds are Cliff won't release the non-beta until at least this Friday.

Unless he decided to pull a fast one and buck the trend. Go ahead Cliff,

make my day.

- -
.-

There's no need for this. These are fellow forum members / Fractal users, who are reporting issues
If this is the first time a user complaining of problems over multiple firmware's has been recommended to sell then OK. If its OK with you yek then who am I to say different.:)
The problem is discussed in the thread add nausea no?
Does another complaint in a BETA thread really help? ...is it useful to beat the code guy trying to fix it over the head ??

Perhaps a poll/bitch thread would be more useful instead of complaining here is all I was nicely stating.
I found those complaint posts to be quite rude and not helpful.

Kindest regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom