Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 9.00 Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rehearsed with the band last night using the 9.00 beta. I'll qualify my comments by saying that I also replaced the volume pot in my guitar before this practice too, which I think was bleeding off some signal, but overall, the tone was my best ever. I use the Brit 800 #34 model with stock cab 62 into an EV ZLX12P, and it sounded thick and woody (that's what she said!), but with great definition. I was getting feedback overtones when I wanted them, which was great. I also noticed that the delays on my lead scenes seemed way more prominent, so much so that 'll have to dial them back before my gigs this weekend. Overall, great beta, and I look forward to the release. Thank you Cliff!

Cliff,
Could you throw us a bone on what's going on with the new firmware?
PS. If you are too busy having epiphanies, disregard this.

I wouldn't mind waiting if I'd kept my Axe, but I'm on AX8 and therefore beta-less.

Soon used to come more sooner...

"Double-click bypass" - is that just double clicking on the amp block in Axe-Edit? Make it go out of the chain, and back in?

If so, does this replace the "Select preset, change amp model, reselect original amp model" method to sync amp models to new FW?

"Double-click bypass" - is that just double clicking on the amp block in Axe-Edit?
No. It's double-pressing the key labeled BYPASS on the front of the hardware.

Make it go out of the chain, and back in?
No. It resets the currently selected block to its defaults.

If so, does this replace the "Select preset, change amp model, reselect original amp model" method to sync amp models to new FW?
No. It does a different reset. It doesn't preserve any of the settings in the block the way changing the amp model away and back to a model does.

The equivalent function in Axe-Edit is found under the Preset menu in the software. There's a "Reset Block" under that menu IIRC.

Fractal Audio Systems Forum - Error
This member limits who may view their full profile. :(

Dang. I didn't understand til I tried to check 'Fractalaudio' recent posts, something I've done for years.

Is there any other way to follow or subscribe to Cliff directly to be notified when he posts?

I can't read through every thread of every subforum every day just to see if he posted something!

I can't read through every thread of every subforum every day just to see if he posted something!
You could if you were a True Fan. :D

But seriously: see @yek's post above. You can do this with the search feature on the site. If you use https://forum.fractalaudio.com/search you can even limit the returned posts to a date range so if you just want the last 24 hours or so that's possible.

No. It's double-pressing the key labeled BYPASS on the front of the hardware.

No. It resets the currently selected block to its defaults.

No. It does a different reset. It doesn't preserve any of the settings in the block the way changing the amp model away and back to a model does.

The equivalent function in Axe-Edit is found under the Preset menu in the software. There's a "Reset Block" under that menu IIRC.
Haha! Thanks, iarsee. :D

I hadn't been stalking yet. But now that Halloween is upon us...

...But wait.. BAD idea. Never stalk the master of your virtual reality 0 . 0

Last edited:
I've detected another cause for time-outs with computers running OS X: new MacBooks with USB-C.

The way Apple has implemented USB-C in their new MacBooks (to include support for Thunderbolt), is buggy, to say the least.

3rd party cables (USB-B <> USB-C) do not always work.

As soon as I switch to my old MacBook, running exactly the same software, using USB-A <> USB-B, time-outs disappear.

P.S. The issue can be solved by adding a USB-C hub between the Fractal device and MacBook.

I've detected another cause for time-outs with computers running OS X: new MacBooks with USB-C.

The way Apple has implemented USB-C in their new MacBooks (to include support for Thunderbolt), is buggy, to say the least.

3rd party cables (USB-B <> USB-C) do not always work.

As soon as I switch to my old MacBook, running exactly the same software, using USB-A <> USB-B, time-outs disappear.
No USB C here

Are folks with the repeated timeout issues using other Axe II MIDI functions when the timeouts occur? MFC-101? Front panel? Other MIDI controllers? Set as active MIDI device in DAW?

I personally have had practically no timeout issues, but I also make it a point to never use the front panel or MFC-101 while using Axe Edit without first pausing it's communication. I also usually don't have the Axe II set as an active MIDI device in my DAW (Reaper). I'm on Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1703 on a 7 year old Intel i5 based home brew desktop PC.

We should maybe start a separate thread where people can post their hardware and OS info along with any details on timeouts they've had or not had. Perhaps some common factors might surface.

Are folks with the repeated timeout issues using other Axe II MIDI functions when the timeouts occur? MFC-101? Front panel? Other MIDI controllers? Set as active MIDI device in DAW?

I personally have had practically no timeout issues, but I also make it a point to never use the front panel or MFC-101 while using Axe Edit without first pausing it's communication. I also usually don't have the Axe II set as an active MIDI device in my DAW (Reaper). I'm on Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1703 on a 7 year old Intel i5 based home brew desktop PC.

We should maybe start a separate thread where people can post their hardware and OS info along with any details on timeouts they've had or not had. Perhaps some common factors might surface.
Yes, [lest this be a totally hi-jacked thread, huh!) the user community (which overwhelmingly has more information if it uses it, than Fractal, should basically flow-chart the different variables and create a "vote" for each path through the flow chart. My first question (as I think you point out here) would be, are there both 1) people with no MIDI activity but USB audio activity, and 2) vice versa?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom