Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 9.00 Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been very happy to report no timeouts on my system with Q9 so far, and this is on a setup (xl+,trash can 2013 macpro , usb connected but not sound carded, ) that was plagued with constant timeouts back in the dreaded Q6.02 FW crisis which was fixed by FAS and has been stable since. my only problem with Q9 is I can really hear the difference that the new changes impart when going back to AX8 with 8.02...and for the first time,I’m re@lly impatient to get that juicy new Speaker Comp and sweet delay in there soonest .

I've never have problem last 5 years, serveral PCs and both AxeFX II Mark I and XL+
My Axe-Edit crash "bug" began from Q7 if I remember right.

I have Windows 10 (1703 build 15063.632) and I gave this a new try today:
- I've uninstalled all fractal softwares/drivers, cleaned up registry & reboot
- Reinstalled USB drivers/Axe-Edit/Fractal-Bot.
- Change to a new USB-cable, tried all USB-ports
- Tried to launch Axe-Edit in compatible mode, run as admin

.. still crashes
To reproduce I just have to click "refresh after new firmware" or save to new preset.
Why I believe it's a software issue is that AxeLive/FracTool and Fractal-Bot works perfectly.

Found a solution: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-edit-constant-crashes.127344/page-6#post-1554195

So you're not using it as a soundcard?

I also never had any other audio programs/DAW software running during my sessions.

Yes, I've been using the AFX II Mark I as a soundcard, sending Windows audio thru the USB to it with no problems, as well as running AxeEdit, etc. I should clarify that I did run Winamp audio very occasionally thru the AFX while I had AxeEdit running with no problems, but definitely no DAW software at the same time.

99% of the time I wasn't running Winamp in my tweaking sessions, and just the regular Windows system sounds were routing thru the AFX II while running AxeEdit, Fractal Bot, Cab Lab...

Yes, I'm still using Winamp :cool:; the last release before it ceased. I have several plugins (looper, pitch transposer, tempo slow down-er, vocal eliminator) that I've been using for a few years to learn guitar parts...if it ain't broke...While I now use Foobar2000 as my main media player I've not yet gotten around to duplicating that functionality on Foobar2000.

Last edited:
Yes, I've been using the AFX II Mark I as a soundcard, sending Windows audio thru the USB to it with no problems, as well as running AxeEdit, etc. I should clarify that I did run Winamp audio very occasionally thru the AFX while I had AxeEdit running with no problems, but definitely no DAW software at the same time.

99% of the time I wasn't running Winamp in my tweaking sessions, and just the regular Windows system sounds were routing thru the AFX II while running AxeEdit, Fractal Bot, Cab Lab...

Yes, I'm still using Winamp :cool:; the last release before it ceased. I have several plugins (looper, pitch transposer, tempo slow down-er, vocal eliminator) that I've been using for a few years to learn guitar parts...if it ain't broke...While I now use Foobar2000 as my main media player I've not yet gotten around to duplicating that functionality on Foobar2000.

OK cool, yeah it seems to happen when I have actual audio playing, through iTunes or a browser or whatever. I tend to tweak with stuff playing in the background.

Also, Winamp! There's a blast from the past! But hey, as you say, if it aint broke. It's probably still miles better than iTunes, which I loathe.

Well you can post about it on the forums.... or you could actually spend a little time and look at your computer logs to see what actually happens when a timeout occurs. If you don't understand how to do that or what the logs are telling you, get it looked at from a certified technician.

FYI, just because your computer is all up to date and the newest fastest latest greatest thing available does not mean it's configured properly. Simply installing drivers and software with defaults is also not configuring things to work together properly.

3rd party software applications can cause all kinds of conflicts. Check your logs.

Well you can post about it on the forums.... or you could actually spend a little time and look at your computer logs to see what actually happens when a timeout occurs. If you don't understand how to do that or what the logs are telling you, get it looked at from a certified technician.

FYI, just because your computer is all up to date and the newest fastest latest greatest thing available does not mean it's configured properly. Simply installing drivers and software with defaults is also not configuring things to work together properly.

3rd party software applications can cause all kinds of conflicts. Check your logs.

I don't run any 3rd party apps. It's literally iTunes/Garageband/Safari on a Mac, 1st party apps, macs are standard hardware configs as well so that rules that out. Happy to record/post the logs but I'm not paying for a technician to look at it when Cliff himself has acknowledged an issue as so many others are getting it. What's the technician gonna say anyway? "Yeah the USB device timed out, better go back to the device vendor." No I'll wait for a fix from Fractal for an acknowledged issue rather than spending time doing that thanks.

It's worth mentioning it's only Axe Edit that times out, the audio still plays fine after the error.

Last edited:
Just upgraded to High SierraOS on my Mac and no time outs...plus all the Fractal software have been working so far...

I presume in the Mac world, the 3rd party hardware/driver creators all have a pretty standard run of it. No registry and dll jungle. Conflicts are NOT routinely a "Your fault". "No! Your fault" situation. In such a world there must be warmth and kindness and sunbathing poppies.

I've got Windows here, and I have indeed needed to bother about log files.

I don't run any 3rd party apps. It's literally iTunes/Garageband/Safari on a Mac, 1st party apps, macs are standard hardware configs as well so that rules that out. Happy to record/post the logs but I'm not paying for a technician to look at it when Cliff himself has acknowledged an issue as so many others are getting it. What's the technician gonna say anyway? "Yeah the USB device timed out, better go back to the device vendor." No I'll wait for a fix from Fractal for an acknowledged issue rather than spending time doing that thanks.

It's worth mentioning it's only Axe Edit that times out, the audio still plays fine after the error.

I run a Mac, and have never seen the error. We have a very vocal group that is having this issue, and while I understand the frustration, I don't believe this is a problem with Axe Edit, but with something else that 'gets in the way'. Let me repeat. I don't believe that it's FAS software at the heart of this. If it was only on Windows, this is an old skool IRQ issue. But it's not.

There are thousands of users that use this without issues, so it's something very specific with a HW/SW combination. The large brains at FAS will sort it in time. The more information about setup helps...HW/OS Version, other sound/MIDI apps, etc.

I almost wish that I had the error, so I could troubleshoot. Happens to be my job.

A simple reinstall might solve whatever problem this is. Won’t solve the riddle as to why, but it’s worth a try.

Oh by the way and apropos of nothing whatsoever, the Electric Mayhem music the George Lucas put over top of the original music in the throne room when he did the re-release is still stupid.

Where does "Fractal Acknowledge the Issue" and say they are working on a fix?

I have been following but must have missed this.

For what it's worth, I still get Axe-Edit timeouts when I have my DAW running and am using USB from Axe-FX for audio source. If I use SPDIF or analog I don't seem to get the communication time outs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom