Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 9.00 Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
are you using the Axe as your audio interface? seems to mostly happen in that scenario. cross platform, cross OS.

I do when tone matching and creating client tones. I have had a few issues in the past with the AX8 with the error thing, but never my XL+. Now that you brought this up, I will test more using the AX for sound. Thanks.

I just dialed up one of the best Mesa tones I've ever gotten:
USA IIC+ Bright/Deep
Input Drive - 5.5
Overdrive - 5.7
Bass - 2.5
Mid - 8
Treble - 7.4
Presence - 5
MV - 6.6
Speaker Comp - 3.5
Slight 'V' shape on the 5-band EQ

Cabs:
1x12 IIC+ 121 B and 1x12 IIC+ 57 A mixed 50/50 (from the Obot the Robot Cab Pack)

Delay:
Digital Mind Guy

Reverb:
Rich Hall
I dug around this thread for awhile to find this because I was too busy to write down the settings yesterday and forgot what page it was on. Here it is again - in lieu of a stickee.

I hate to be that guy, I don’t wanna be that guy, but I think I’m about to be, “that guy” right now.
I’ve just spent about the last 15+ hours or so out of the last 24 playing with this FW. Plus the time spent since the night it came out, (I think it was last Sunday).
This somehow has made a huge difference. Either I just got incredibly lucky or I was able to dial in an Amp that I’ve never ever ever Ever had any luck at all with. And not only that, dial it in gloriously. I should wait to say that to give my ears a rest & see how it sounds in a day, but I feel a certain amount of confidence cause I did hear what I was never able to dial out before & got what I was never able to dial in before. The elusive Ruby Rocket. And just for that, I’m gunna say it; “Best Firmware Ever!”
:p

I had two Gigs this weekend with the new Firmware Q9.

I had reseted all amps before and had to balance the Levels of the amps new.

I think this new Speakcomp is a big step forward with Modelers.

Mostly with defaultsettings (around 3), no boomy bass, no harsh highs - it sets the Guitarsound with chrunchy/heavy distorted great in the mix.

With cleansounds everybody should decide how much he needs the speakcomp - an additional Compressor seems to be to much, glassy highs dissappear. With the AC 30 I had to decrease Hi Cut to get the Highs back.

The Mesa MK 4 has an incredible sound now, a lot of mids.

Singlenotes on HiGain are very direct and clear, very fast response with tappings. Great!

Agreed with @Hubi about the lessened need for compressor blocks when using Q9 with with a Speaker comp setting on more than 3. Don’t know how much of this is other than my own perceptions , and extra joy in using my non-storm-damaged gear, but seems to me that the net effect of this beta makes the individuality of each guitar even more distinct while at the same time smoothes in a good way the interactions of drives and gains, both onboard and front end analog FX. In any event , having as much fun playing as ever in my life. Thanks Cliff and Co, yet again.

I think this new Speakcomp is a big step forward with Modelers.

My plans for this evening are to explore the new Speaker Comp vs the Output Compressor in the amp block. I've been using the Output Comp on a few of my presets but want to see how the two compressors differ and if I like the effect of one vs the other.

I played a lot with the Speaker Comp yesterday while auditioning some clean/mild OD amps; a super useful control which has a big effect on the overall feel and tone. I love it....

Also am finding some different amps gel with me in v9 that didn't in previous versions, or just caught my ear in a different way. I've been using the Double Vib Verb as my clean amp for a long while now but I dialed up a killer clean tone with the Captain Hook 1A which is likely going into my "X" amp slot on my clean preset. Liked the 1A before but find it outstanding now for some reason...

It was interesting to explore the active tonestack controls vs the passive ones yesterday; on many amps the interactions of the BMT stack can get a little frustrating to dial in, so I switched to the active tonestack to negate that interaction. The amps dial in differently and is an interesting tweaking option...worth exploring a bit more...

I pretty much stay high gain but last night I was showing my son the older amps in the Axe and the speaker comp and I chose the 1959SLP treble, holy cow! Has this amp always been this good?!?!?! Had the speaker comp on 4.12 I think, it was amazingly good.

If you like that amp try the Plexi 100W 1970 in v9 for some fat, rich, punchy high gain awesome-ness. That amp really cleans up nicely too for mid gain and hairy-clean tones...superb amp the 1970. I've not played it in a while but was curious to retry the Marshalls in v9 after your post and man, do I love that amp. I like how you can dial the gain way back and it doesn't sound/feel anemic; some awesome crunch tones are to be found. I like it with the 12AX7B preamp tube vs the ECC83; a little fuller, softer highs.

Can't wait for the official v9 and the port to the AX8; I'm finding v9 is going to make be revisit my tones and amp choices.

Bastards. I have been trying to wait to update but it is looking like I'm going to fall victim soon. :)

It's a simple change for me. For me personally:

-Nuked any speaker drive (zero).
-Removed all de-phase (zero).
-Moved the new params to 3...to taste. Some amps liked more, but I wanted to retain dynamics so never got more than 3-4.5.
-Added a bit of amp comp if there was some brittle (very little needed.)

YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom