Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 9.00 Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
FW9Beta Testing update:

Trying the firmware since last night. So far i experienced Communication Time-out after about 30 minutes :( of playing for the 3rd time now.
Here is a screen shot.
Time%20Out.JPG

I use Axe Fx II mark II with MFC 101 mark II connected.
My setup:
Windows 10 64bit, USB connected. Using headphone monitoring from AFX. Windows playback device set to AFX. MFC connected with Cat5e.

I have an XL+ with Q9.0 beta connected to a Mac and haven't had any time outs...Might be just affecting the WIN users.

speaker compression hugely improved string control . anyone notice this? and my strings feel so balanced now.
you can actually change how (in or out) of control your strings are . lovin it

Yes that's what I tried to describe earlier, string control is an interesting term for that :)

Again, forgive my ignorance for the following inquiry:

I use Motor Drive (MD) in the cab block for every preset I use and loooooove it. Since MD in the amp block is now replaced, are we being encouraged to use the new Speaker Compression (SC) in the amp block along with the cab's MD?

I ask because, IIRC, it was originally suggested to use MD either in the cab or amp block, but not both.

Again, forgive my ignorance for the following inquiry:

I use Motor Drive (MD) in the cab block for every preset I use and loooooove it. Since MD in the amp block is now replaced, are we being encouraged to use the new Speaker Compression (SC) in the amp block along with the cab's MD?

I ask because, IIRC, it was originally suggested to use MD either in the cab or amp block, but not both.

If you are recording or using an FRFR system then SC in the amp block is preferred (MD in the cab block off).

It wouldn't be hard except we'd need six models, one for each position of the rotary switch.
could each position be mapped to a range on say the treble control? i know zero about programming so it may well be impossible, just throwing an idea out there.

It´s very interesting how the the new speaker comp works together with the Mastervolumen - increasing the MV makes a "bony" sound.

The parameter Motor time const is now default on 100msec. Cliff recommended 200 british Speaker, 50 american Speaker?

Help.
Set some great sounds last night but today the 'Output Comp' has changed how it acts. Today edited presets were silent until I turned 'Output Comp' down( the first 5% turn clockwise on the output comp dial takes it from 0 to -30db i.e. is acting like a reverse volume). I am using front panel only. What gives? 0 to -30db with no guitar signal and not reacting to guitar input. The strange thing is, it was working last night.

Last edited:
Working with support, we thought that my DAW (Reaper) audio driver was competing with the Axe-FX driver since I'm going direct to DAW via USB.
I had thought I confirmed this by running Axe-Edit without my DAW launched as it seemed to not have communication errors unless the DAW was running. That didn't last long and the errors starting happening even without my DAW running.

What's even more strange is how random it is. Sometimes it will work for a long time (1+ hours) and sometimes it starts acting up right away.

We'll see how it acts after upgrading to the Q9 beta.
I'm using Reaper with Axe Edit sometimes as well. The only error I have had was in the process of copying/pasting more than 10 presets within AxeManage. Otherwise I haven't had any issues with Axe Edit, and any of the DAWs I've used with it (Reaper, FL Studio & Bitwig). Which leads me to think it may not be Reaper. Maybe is it more particular to the O/S and its driver integration behaviors? That, or maybe something to do with static electricity in the room, or were you watching pretty girls on the tube out of the corner of your eyes?

(I forgot to add that my feedback probably doesn't mean so much, since I haven't used an MFC-1 with Reaper, but had used a modified 1010, which is probably a whole different can of tomatoes. )

Last edited:
Help.
Set some great sounds last night but today the 'Output Comp' has changed how it acts. Today edited presets were silent until I turned 'Output Comp' down( the first 5% turn clockwise on the output comp dial takes it from 0 to -30db i.e. is acting like a reverse volume). I am using front panel only. What gives? 0 to -30db with no guitar signal and not reacting to guitar input. The strange thing is, it was working last night.
Same here all my presets with just a touch of output compression are rendered silent.

I've been waiting for number 9.. The next evolutionary stage.. And now for the big question - I didn't see a reference for this in my Axe II manual, or the wiki page. I just did a complete backup. Now, what is going to happen if I innocently go over to the axe fx II utility preset page and set amp(s) to defaults...

Why does it say amp(s)? And not amps? Is there a step in there where you can select between amps and a single amp?

Drumrolls....

It woiked. It looks like I now have spkr comp in all my amp blocks!!!

Its a pity I still need to go in and change them all to a setting of 3 by editing the amp block and double-pressing the bypass button, but this is how evolution woiks.

Last edited:
I'm not seeing this after updating my firmware. If I create a new preset, I clear out the preset and add in say the JTM45 amp. I for one do not see Speaker Compression or Spkr Comp in any block or setting. I do see speaker drive but it is always 0. Is something off in my setup? I have a Mk2. thanks

sorry I think I found the issue :) and I tested and compared the value on a fresh block

I needed to update Axe-Edit

Last edited:
I'm not seeing this after updating my firmware. If I create a new preset, I clear out the preset and add in say the JTM45 amp. I for one do not see Speaker Compression or Spkr Comp in any block or setting. I do see speaker drive but it is always 0. Is something off in my setup? I have a Mk2. thanks

Where are you looking, Axe Edit or the front panel? New parameters will never be in Axe Edit until the final release of the firmware & Axe Edit is updated. The old Motor Drive control in Axe Edit will adjust the new parameter.

After updating and adding an amp to the grid in Axe-Edit, you have to reset the amp block. Further, you won't find the Speaker Comp parameter in Axe-Edit because Axe-Edit hasn't been updated yet(and isn't going to be until the official firmware is released). You can only see the Spkr Comp parameter on the Axe FX front panel.

The cool thing is when you use the green screen to open & tab over and select the SPKR COMP to bring up the meter, it’ll keep coming back to that tab in the Amp Block on the unit even after editing other blocks thru Axe Edit. Not sure if that was always the case before.
Now if only there was a way to access the Output Meters directly thru Axe Edit for the love of God!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom