Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 9.00 Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could you please tell us what's exactly B7K modeling?, does it available for Mark II as well?

The B7K is a very popular distortion pedal for bass guitar. It's been requested many times, and having it modelled in the Axe FX makes bass players very happy. :)

I'm confused...if you're a person using a solid state power amp with a real cab I would think you'd enjoy making use of the transformer grind, but I am under the belief the motor drive is more to do with the speaker itself compressing. Having these combined together makes it confusing whether to leave it on or not then as you get the transformer grind, but it would be doubling the authentic speaker compression with the simulated one

I'm confused...if you're a person using a solid state power amp with a real cab I would think you'd enjoy making use of the transformer grind, but I am under the belief the motor drive is more to do with the speaker itself compressing. Having these combined together makes it confusing whether to leave it on or not then as you get the transformer grind, but it would be doubling the authentic speaker compression with the simulated one
From the wiki:

"Transformer Grind is what you want to get that top-end sizzle. Dynamic Presence is one of my "Inverse Homomorphic" filters and only approximates the dynamic presence boost found in some amps. Transformer Grind is an authentic model of what actually happens in those amps." source
"Some amps interact with some speakers resulting in a dynamic high frequency boost. It creates an aggressive, biting distortion. It depends on the amp (the amp's output transformer in particular) and the behavior of the speaker as it deviates from it's rest position. You can simulate this using the Transformer Grind parameter."

It seems that also xformer grind is dependent on the intearaction with the speaker.
I believe Cliff has found out that these two behaviours (grind and speaker compression) are strictly related and affecting each other so he decided to model this interaction by reuniting them under the same algorhythm.

Just my guess though!

Ps: anyway I don't know if a solid state PA exhibits this phenomenon, so maybe something like a switch in the amp block that deactivates speaker drive and "the compression part" of the new algo could be useful for those using traditional guitar cabs.

Last edited:
Liking the DMM stuff, the Stereo BBD sounds beautiful. I have a hard time remembering how things sound from one day to the next, so in truth, I don't know, but to me, it certainly sounds closer to my old DMM than I remember. I've got that beautiful wash behind notes that I used to do all the time with the DMM, the 'on the edge of oscillation' stuff I seriously can't remember being able to do with the old algo. So for me, this is an absolute winner. Thank you! :)

Does this update changes the sound of existing presets if nothing is tweaked after update?

Has is always the case with new firmware, some will say "yes" it totally changed it, while others will say it sounds the same.

Then after everyone is done swearing up and down has drastically different it is, Cliff will chime in and report there were zero changes to such and such parameters and it can't sound different.

Someone will still swear it does, only to then later report that they accidently had their wah engaged, or a weak battery in an active pup, and it was all a false alarm, sounds the same

Not to be outdone, Cliff will report that some parameter did have an incorrect value, which will of course be fixed with a new update 30 minutes later, and that it may have affected the tone on a particular patch

So on and so forth, lol, so as to the simple question of if a new firmware will affect the tone, the answer is not so simple....

Heck, I personally think my overall guitar tone, or my perception and satisfaction, with it varies with the weather and what I ate for breakfast, and that is without the variable of new firmware! Lol

Has is always the case with new firmware, some will say "yes" it totally changed it, while others will say it sounds the same.

Then after everyone is done swearing up and down has drastically different it is, Cliff will chime in and report there were zero changes to such and such parameters and it can't sound different.

Someone will still swear it does, only to then later report that they accidently had their wah engaged, or a weak battery in an active pup, and it was all a false alarm, sounds the same

Not to be outdone, Cliff will report that some parameter did have an incorrect value, which will of course be fixed with a new update 30 minutes later, and that it may have affected the tone on a particular patch

So on and so forth, lol, so as to the simple question of if a new firmware will affect the tone, the answer is not so simple....

Heck, I personally think my overall guitar tone, or my perception and satisfaction, with it varies with the weather and what I ate for breakfast, and that is without the variable of new firmware! Lol

You forgot to add "Axe Edit is not working".

Turned up speaker comp to about 5 on my 2C+ patch and my chugs definitely sound better. Thicker lows and a bit more cut on the upper mids. I never used trans grind so can't comment on that.

So basically you´re saying the difference is subtle? ;-)

Nooooo. I just got back into the Fractal world after convincing myself that I could go software only for a while. After three months of that, I bought an Ax8 to dip my feet back in the water. It has been so good having it. But I keep seeing new things that I want to have that are Axe FX II/XL/XL+ only. Trying to resist the GAS to get back to full on Fractal.

Nooooo. I just got back into the Fractal world after convincing myself that I could go software only for a while. After three months of that, I bought an Ax8 to dip my feet back in the water. It has been so good having it. But I keep seeing new things that I want to have that are Axe FX II/XL/XL+ only. Trying to resist the GAS to get back to full on Fractal.

Resistance is futile

Just a guess: This is taking into account that in a tube amp the output is driven by a transformer. So essentially you have a transformer connected directly to the speaker's core/driver. This parameter is probably simulating the behavior/feedback of this physical construct. It definitely makes sense that an OT parameter and a speaker drive parameter would potentially interact. If they are deeply coupled combining them would be sensible even for users using a real speaker (since there is no OT); depending on how the virtual ckt represents it.

In the case of an SS amp it is *not* going to be structured like this. There is no output transformer regardless of the speaker type connected. So you are not getting this effect of traditional tube amps in a rig with an SS amp. So, my guess is that most users who are using SS amps regardless of speaker type will prefer this parameter to be non-zero. I wouldn't be surprised if you had to tweak it for the sweet spot depending on the type of rig you are running but I am guessing most will want it on.

I would guess the only folks wanting to turn this all the way off are those using tube power + traditional speaker cab as they are getting the full effect from their amplification setup (which made sense as to why the release not was worded specifically to those using tube power).

As always you should use your ears, etc. And I reserve the right for Cliff to negate everything I just said as this is just speculation. ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom