Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 9.00 Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Cliff,

are there any bug fixes inside Q9 Beta related to the USB connection error? Or can we hope it will come with the final Q9?

Anyway, thank you for constantly improving the Axe :)

XFormer Grind had a very different effect on my sounds, like if it added treble presence and more in your face sound.
The new Spkr Comp parameter is kind of subtle and has less effect on the high frequencies for me...
I guess sounds will have to be reworked

Also, it would be nice if Spkr Comp wouldn't generate a lower output, it's hard to compare with and without with such a level reduction

Axe-Fx II Quantum Firmware Release Notes

Removed the “Motor Drive” and “Transformer Grind” algorithms and associated parameters from the Amp block. These have been replaced by the new “Speaker Compression” algorithm. This algorithm models the interaction of the power amp with the power compression of the virtual speaker. The “Spkr Comp” parameter controls the amount of virtual speaker compression. This value defaults to 3.0 when the Amp block is reset. It does not get reset when changing the model. If using the Axe-Fx II with a tube power amp and conventional guitar cab you may want to reduce this value to 0.0. The gain reduction meter shows the amount of virtual power compression (select the Spkr Comp knob to monitor the gain reduction). Typical guitar speakers compress between 3 and 6 dB depending upon construction, age, volume, etc. The default value is conservative and yields about 3 dB of compression.

Note that the Master Volume control will interact considerably with the Speaker Compression algorithm as will the Presence and Depth controls. Higher values of Master Volume will cause more virtual speaker compression.

Improved Delay block. Also reworked the Deluxe Mind Guy, Mono BBD and Stereo BBD delay models based on the improvements.

Please can you explain the "Spkr Comp" parameter in a little more detail? Correct me if I'm wrong but "Motor Drive" and "Xformer Grind" seemed to be different things and not necessarily connected, so I'm not sure I understand how they have been combined into a single parameter.

I'm running Q9 with Axe Edit 3.14.2 and can't seem to find the "SPKR Comp" parameter in either the amp block (Plexi 50W 6550) or Cab block (Cab 61).

I still have the controls for Motor Drive etc - am I missing something ?

I'm running Q9 with Axe Edit 3.14.2 and can't seem to find the "SPKR Comp" parameter in either the amp block (Plexi 50W 6550) or Cab block (Cab 61).

I still have the controls for Motor Drive etc - am I missing something ?

Axe Edit has not been updatet.. but if you see on the Axe FX unit.. then you see the SPKR Comp is there (and Motor drive is now SPKR Comp)

Axe Edit has not been updatet.. but if you see on the Axe FX unit.. then you see the SPKR Comp is there (and Motor drive is now SPKR Comp)

OK cool

I'll wait for the next release of AE then

Thanks for letting me know - I thought it might be something like that :)

: Update - couldn't wait for the next version of AE so used the front panel.

This is very good thanks FAS !

OK cool

I'll wait for the next release of AE then

Thanks for letting me know - I thought it might be something like that :)

: Update - couldn't wait for the next version of AE so used the front panel.

This is very good thanks FAS !

You can use in Axe Edit the Moter Drive knob which is now the SPKR COMP - so you don't realy need to use front panel. ;)

First impression (related to USB problems and not the overall update/upgrade):

- The behavior is very much improved and I spent almost an hour without problems and previous I had way way more problems before.

Unfortunately there was another timeout and then it kept hanging and several error messages appeared. This was the first. Then several errors appeared. Saving my preset was then not possible anymore. AXE FX seemed hanging on communication with AXE FX II

upload_2017-9-25_12-34-13.png

This is quite a heavy preset on CPU, but I have to make a NOTE: I was playing around with this preset on much higher CPU load (around 93 without USB problems & hangings. Of course sometimes there was audio cracklings, but that was expected with such CPU load)

(if you want me to do some specific testing with presets, amps, settings related to USB let me know.)
AXE AXE II Mark II
Windows 10 PRO 64 bits
Using the AXE FX ALSO as an audio device for windows You Tube & Spotify premium (for backing tracks)

Bottomline: it has definitely improved the USB hangings, but does not seems to be solved completely!

Cheers,
Musicman

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom