Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 9.00 Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just want to confirm my understanding of the "upgrade" workflow for this beta... Reset amp block and re-apply any existing tweaks. And SpkrComp should be initially at 3.00 but then a situation of adjustment to taste from there... is the same true regarding delay blocks? i.e. do they need to be reset and then re-apply settings or do they just "improve" by installing the beta?

I'm finding it a good update, but this reset shiz really hits me with so many presets to revisit. Can't wait for Fractool to provide the reset and re-apply tweaks change that I asked Al for.

So I just want to confirm my understanding of the "upgrade" workflow for this beta... Reset amp block and re-apply any existing tweaks. And SpkrComp should be initially at 3.00 but then a situation of adjustment to taste from there... is the same true regarding delay blocks? i.e. do they need to be reset and then re-apply settings or do they just "improve" by installing the beta?

I'm finding it a good update, but this reset shiz really hits me with so many presets to revisit. Can't wait for Fractool to provide the reset and re-apply tweaks change that I asked Al for.

I am wondering this also, do I only need to set the SpkrComp to 3 to see the upgrade? Or is a reset required?

That's because it's stated that way in the release notes. No one would use a guitar cab without a power amp. :)

Thanks Rex, but you dropped the qualifier "tube". I use real cabs - which mode is more authentic? Is this affecting the amp block or the cab block?

You can use AxeLive for a smart/custom reset of the amp block

http://www.roxxxtar.com/axelive

Thanks Rex, but you dropped the qualifier "tube". I use real cabs - which mode is more authentic? Is this affecting the amp block or the cab block?
My guess based on the release note description is that it is modeling the interaction of a power amp output transformer to a speaker coil. Because your SS amp has no output transformer you IRL rig does not have this behavior going on physically: real cab or FRFR, no difference, there is no OT->speaker connection to be found; so I would think it is probably more authentic to have it non-zero with some setting that has to be dialed in by feel based on your rig.

Cliff is the only one who knows for sure, though, since he is the only person who knows the implementation... not sure if it is proprietary info or what, I'm sure he will reveal as much as he can.

I run output 2 to an IRL cab and my intention is to try it at the default and adjust as needed from there. :)

With a real cab and a solid-state power amp you get the motor drive thing happening by itself, but no contribution from the transformer, because there isn't one. So "authentic" would be somewhere in between. Play with the knob and see what you like best.

I spent a couple of hours today on the 9.0, and most of the time I tweaked speaker comp. I saw that then I add this com ( it's on "0" by default ) the sound became more dark an quiet. I need add some treble and presence and level to compensate it, especially on the Rectos. Is it normal?

Same here. Between default and increasing to 4 there are around 2 dB difference (v-meter).
Makes single notes more "singing" with less gain, but the bassnotes are more "washy".

I have tried this with Friedman BE V2 (Master on 6) and Savage 1.

Is there a difference between the motordrive in the cab and ampblock or equal which on we use? Will Cliff kill this function in the cabblock?

The speakercompression is still called Motordrive on the front panel?!

Last edited:
Working with support, we thought that my DAW (Reaper) audio driver was competing with the Axe-FX driver since I'm going direct to DAW via USB.
I had thought I confirmed this by running Axe-Edit without my DAW launched as it seemed to not have communication errors unless the DAW was running. That didn't last long and the errors starting happening even without my DAW running.

What's even more strange is how random it is. Sometimes it will work for a long time (1+ hours) and sometimes it starts acting up right away.

We'll see how it acts after upgrading to the Q9 beta.
Lately i use spotify and the axe fx as audio interface. With Quantum 9beta I have less problems. But even with less cpu (73%) it looses connection and i've got errors and no more axe edit. Less then before though. I'm tweaking presets for quantum 9 beta together with songs or backingtracks in spotify.

Looks like usb to pc is lost somewhere. I have to close all programs and axe fx to get everything back. CPU does not matter it seems. As 73% cpu should be OK and enough resource for usb.

So now i save the preset via the axe fx when connection is lost and start up everything. Less then before ;)

Playing around with the volumepoti makes a lot of fun with Q9 - the different chrunchtones sound much more "real".
The Motordrive knob on cab block doesn´t work, only in the ampblock.

"The speakercompression is still called Motordrive on the front panel?!"

@Hubi you have to reset the amp block (click twice on BYPASS) and the SPKR Comp knob will be on the front panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom