Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 8.02 Firmware Release

Software development is constrained by the limitations of the hardware it must function within.
I try to explain that to people all the time. They want to know why the AxeFXII cost so much. It's because of the money that is invested in the hardware. I mean if the box had been built to a specific price point then it would have been limited to whatever the capabilities of the code were at the time plus a few bug fixes upon original release. This is just a standardized development platform for FAS to lose their damn mind and follow their imagination. Does it last forever? Of course not, but no other company future proofs their products and develops. Instead of buying a new device every time a new break through is made I just load a firmware. I just paid all up front.

I...Instead of buying a new device every time a new breakthrough is made I just load a firmware. I just paid all up front.

This is an excellent way of looking at it. Most companies just want to set the hook, then get you for 'extras' (upgrades outside of the very rare bug fixes are revenue streams.)

The high quality of the HW here is the price...I doubt FAS' margins are huge. But still, I like the idea that I may pay more up front, but the promise of new features every couple of months is...addictive.

I recently tried the Eternal Love boost on recommendation, and it's really cool. Like a tubescreamer but tighter and more high-mid focused, great for metal tones in my opinion.

I've been using it for a few weeks and it's a keeper for me in my main rhythm patch now. I was previously using an external tubescreamer since I don't really like the T808 or T808 Mod.

Relax. FAS are working on the 'uses global blocks' bug. It's a nasty one that usually occurs when the unit and its user is on stage. I understand it may take some more time to finally destroy it but it'll be worth the wait.
At least I hope so... :)

I had a jam on the weekend with some old buddies who are great players and there were some great amps on offer ...Vox's Marshall fenders etc there.. the axe and Matrix amp and cab was the best tone there on the day no question, they all played through it, and were all amazed. I've always battled to get the best out of my Vox and Plexi, but the Axe's models are the best versions of those and with the ir's to match well... don't know how anyone can experience it and not want to come on board!!! Thousands of killer tones.

Last edited:
I had a jam on the weekend with some old buddies who are great players and there were some great amps on offer ...Vox's Marshall fenders etc there.. the axe and Matrix amp and cab was the best tone there on the day no question, they all played through it, and were all amazed. I've always battled to get the best out of my Vox and Plexi, but the Axe's models are the best versions of those and with the ir's to match well... don't know how anyone can experience it and not want to come on board!!! Thousands of killer tones.

Do you mean Matrix Amp and Matrix Cab? Or just a regular Guitar Cab? Was it a vintage 30?

Regards

At first glance, some may have sticker shock. But even as pre-buy research, reading through this forum would easily convince me of the value of this product. In reality, it has actually saved me money. Not only would it cost a fortune to reproduce this flexibility with "real-world" gear... even a highly compromised version of this would be very expensive, bulky and prone to maintenance. In light of this, the Axe is a bargain and a significant stride forward in freeing you up to spend more energy on creativity than maintenance/troubleshooting/repair.

As for Firmware Updates, I wouldn't be surprised if they occurred less often than we have become used to. ...because it's already sounding and feeling so realistic! I expect that future FW updates will be more to add amp models than to improve the modelling itself. ...though we have become used to being pleasantly surprised.

Thanks again FAS!

Back
Top Bottom