Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 8.02 Firmware Release

They sound more old vintage and muddy midrange to me and not good for metal. I just stick to my own Ir's and am happy.
I feel you. FWIW, I have a number of those Celestion IRs and like any other IRs they always have a 'flavor' smeared across them. Every IR maker through some combination of technique, magic, signal chain, etc, manages to get some signature of their own in mixed in. This is neither good nor bad, it is what is, but it makes choosing IRs very much a personal taste deal and it makes things like 'this is V30 IR' less meaningful.

One thing I really dig about cab lab is how it shows you the frequency spectrum of the IR/mix you are working with.

And yeah, it is good to hear with your ears not your eyes, BUT this visual, sciency, sort of measurement can often confirm what you're hearing and it often vividly illustrates how similar IRs are from the same source using entirely different gear can be.

One thing that will stick out frequently are notch filters. Man, I have a few IRs where a couple of narrow frequency bands have been completely blacked out from the response.

And, on the original point, if you look at those Celestion IRs they all have this large smoothed hump in their response in the low end. It varies but it is present in every single speaker. Similar configs 4x12 of the same Celestion speaker model from another IR source will have an entirely different low end spectrum so it has to be. Those Celestion IRs have gotten a lot of hype on certain boards but I find them to be just yet another tube of paint... sometimes it's the color you want sometimes it ain't.

Now some of this spectrum stuff varies, some curves look really odd but you just don't hear it as a dramatic thing... but I think it just illustrates, as awesome as IR tech is, why it is such a crap shoot and why experience can vary so wildly from the amp in the room experience. The signal chain and miccing is just huge in impact.

As for being aggressive about asking for these mixes. I think Fractal would have given them out as a matter of course if licensing allowed distribution, that's how FAS rolls.

I am just happy, no make that ecstatic, my Mark II is still getting firmware. If those slots and extra caabs were that important to me, I could spend the $ to upgrade like anyone else.

They sound more old vintage and muddy midrange to me and not good for metal. I just stick to my own Ir's and am happy.

May I get a small hint about your IR's? I'm quite happy with the Celestion ones, I'd like to try the ones you use.

The main reason that I'm happy with the Celestions is, that they don't have that excessive low/low mid that most others have. 'Excessive' here is only MHO, since I'm a straight guitar -> amp guy (no pre eq mostly), and my room sucks.

May I get a small hint about your IR's? I'm quite happy with the Celestion ones, I'd like to try the ones you use.

The main reason that I'm happy with the Celestions is, that they don't have that excessive low/low mid that most others have. 'Excessive' here is only MHO, since I'm a straight guitar -> amp guy (no pre eq mostly), and my room sucks.
I posted a whole folder of mine a while back. They sound best with two together in stereo to me. I don't know how to find my old post with the download so i will have to reload them on here.

These are about all the ones I've made. Some suck and some are great to me but I use two combined in stereo to get the best sound. May not be for everyone but I love them.

Attachments

• REDD Ir's - - zipped.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 87
These are about all the ones I've made. Some suck and some are great to me but I use two combined in stereo to get the best sound. May not be for everyone but I love them.

@REDD, thank you very much for the IR compilation of yours. I was expecting some third party IR company name(s) at most, but you shared the ones that you've created. This is very much appreciated.

I'll try them ASAP!

So basically, IR's may be made with this speaker or that speaker but don't really sound like that specific speaker when you listen to it through a cab. Not news to me, I get a way different sound from a cab vs frfr. Aside from mic'ing technique, I pretty consistently find extra low's and Hi's.
Conclusion, ir's are a starting point, if you find one that doesn't need some help, lucky you. Imho.

Haha! I literally told my wife yesterday at dinner I was at a "happy" place with my AFX and wouldn't need to update it anymore. I remember this all to well as I sit here updating to 8.02 and wondering what was in that wine when I was chatting to her....!

Thanks Cliff!! You made my lie to my wife!!! :D:D
Glad to know I'm not the only one who chats about the axe to my wife, or the "axe box" as she calls it with an occasional roll of the eyes lol

Hey new to the axe fx here i got a question
Why is there new cabs only for the XL? can it be installed on the MK II as well?
and in general is there anything the XL can do that the MK II cant in term of sound/effects?

Hey new to the axe fx here i got a question
Why is there new cabs only for the XL? can it be installed on the MK II as well?
and in general is there anything the XL can do that the MK II cant in term of sound/effects?
Because the MKII has much less onboard memory than XL for cabs and upgrades , as the the older model, and the stock cabs are baked into the firmware and cannot be copied, and probably because of legal reasons, cannot be shared as a separate download .
Otherwise , the two units sound identical

Mk I and II models have less built-in cabs. Some of the missing ones are included as files with the firmware.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who chats about the axe to my wife, or the "axe box" as she calls it with an occasional roll of the eyes lol
My GF eventually got used to me obsessing over the Axe. One evening I was late meeting up with her after work, and I told her Cliff Chase and Paul Reed Smith were to blame. :D After nearly two years with the AFX, Cliff's name is as much a household name as Johnny Depp in our house.

.......I just wanted to chime in to state, yet again, that this particular firmware is generating the sweetest and most inspiring tones I have ever experienced in 50 years of strumming , noodilng and performing on guitar. Mucho gratitude to Cliff , Matt, Micheal, Joe, and the rest of FAS' tiny yet invincible team.......Do we truly realize how good we got it here...?

Back
Top Bottom