Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 8.02 Firmware Release

I had some spare time this weekend and decided to take another crack at the Recto models, with a fresh and open mind since at this point I've forgotten the settings that used to work for me on the older firmwares.

My complaint for the last year or so has been that the Modern Recto models aren't tight enough, flubby, get fuzzy easy, etc.

This time, I decided to dive into some advanced settings and see what I could do to make it sound more metal. Poweramp Hardness seems to be the ticket! I cranked it up to 10 (which might even be too much), brought down the poweamp sag a bit, brought the master down to 1, and turned on 'Cut'. There it is! The punchy, deep, right recto tone I'm used to.

I'm running the presence at 10 though, and I seem to remember this leading to instant-decapitation if you try it in real life, but maybe I'm misremembering. All I know is a couple minor tweaks made the Rectos great again.

I had some spare time this weekend and decided to take another crack at the Recto models, with a fresh and open mind since at this point I've forgotten the settings that used to work for me on the older firmwares.

My complaint for the last year or so has been that the Modern Recto models aren't tight enough, flubby, get fuzzy easy, etc.

This time, I decided to dive into some advanced settings and see what I could do to make it sound more metal. Poweramp Hardness seems to be the ticket! I cranked it up to 10 (which might even be too much), brought down the poweamp sag a bit, brought the master down to 1, and turned on 'Cut'. There it is! The punchy, deep, right recto tone I'm used to.

I'm running the presence at 10 though, and I seem to remember this leading to instant-decapitation if you try it in real life, but maybe I'm misremembering. All I know is a couple minor tweaks made the Rectos great again.
So, based on the extensive tweaking required, either you actually don't like the way a real Recto behaves or the Recto models are grossly inaccurate. ;)

So, based on the extensive tweaking required, either you actually don't like the way a real Recto behaves or the Recto models are grossly inaccurate. ;)

Probably somewhere in the middle.

There are plenty of recordings and demos out there of Rectos being real tight and retaining the big bottom end and recto sound, and from my limited experience with real ones, they certainly can sound tight. But at the end of the day there are a ton of different types and different revisions out there. The models may sound dead-on exact to the rectos cliff has, but those rectos probably sound night-and-day different from some other rectos out there.

The models have changed over time as updates come out and advancements are made, they all have. More accurate, less accurate, I don't really care, I just care about it sounding good, and having sounds that inspire me to play rather than tweak :)

There are plenty of recordings and demos out there of Rectos being real tight and retaining the big bottom end and recto sound, and from my limited experience with real ones, they certainly can sound tight. But at the end of the day there are a ton of different types and different revisions out there. The models may sound dead-on exact to the rectos cliff has, but those rectos probably sound night-and-day different from some other rectos out there.

The models have changed over time as updates come out and advancements are made, they all have. More accurate, less accurate, I don't really care, I just care about it sounding good, and having sounds that inspire me to play rather than tweak :)

All the demos I've listened either are done with a TS9 in front, or via equalization cut in studio. Recto are flubby and fizzy by nature. They are not tight at all: I've owned two rectos and a Road King. Playing volume is important too. Presence of 10 is wayyyyyy to much. Which cabinet / cab IR are you using?

All the demos I've listened either are done with a TS9 in front, or via equalization cut in studio. Recto are flubby and fizzy by nature. They are not tight at all: I've owned two rectos and a Road King. Playing volume is important too. Presence of 10 is wayyyyyy to much. Which cabinet / cab IR are you using?

I'm using a real Zilla 2x12 (v30 / g12k100). And I am using a boost. Either an external tubescreamer or the FAS Boost as I like that one more than the T808's.

As I said, from what I remember presence on 10 on the red channel is a no-go in real life, but for whatever reason it's working right now.

Yeah I have no experience with real rectos but this agrees with my readings, some people on the spanish forums complained that after spending big dollars on a brand new recto the sound of the factory setup was not the sound they had in the head and they needed sending the amp to Pedro Vecino (amp guru from Valencia, Spain) for modding and/or retubing, seems that this is the nature of the beast.

Last edited:

Mark gets a real tight Recto tone using a gate

Periphery typically uses the FAS modern amp model, and more recently, one of the 5150 amp models.

I think it depends on the exact Recto. I have an actual 2-channel Triple Recto that is actually pretty tight. Honestly, I have found most of the well-known good metal sounding Recto recordings were actually Triples, not Duals. We need a Triple Recto model. :)

My actual amp can be very tight with no Boost or EQ. The biggest issue I have in trying to get the same sound on my Axe-FX II is actually the low end punch. The Axe just doesn't pump out the low end punch in the same way. The real amp sounds like a sledgehammer coming through the wall.

Agreed. I have a 2 channel Triple Recto as well and it's much tighter than what a I can get out of the Axe.

And yes, the low end of the real one IS like a jackhammer through the wall :)

Agreed. I have a 2 channel Triple Recto as well and it's much tighter than what a I can get out of the Axe.

And yes, the low end of the real one IS like a jackhammer through the wall :)

Interesting... Sounds like one for the Wish list. I always thought the Dual was the classic Recto. Seems like a Triple would be obtainable and is likely similar to the existing Dual model so maybe not too much time/effort for Cliff and team.

Interesting... Sounds like one for the Wish list. I always thought the Dual was the classic Recto. Seems like a Triple would be obtainable and is likely similar to the existing Dual model so maybe not too much time/effort for Cliff and team.

Many of the classic well-known Recto sounds in heavy music are usually Triple Rectos. Many people think they are the same as Duals, only louder, but they are actually very different in sound and feel. They are clearer on the low end, have more low end, tighter, and to me, I think they seem to have less low mids. Something about them is just tuned for high gain sounds. They just sound meaner for high gain. Dual Rectos almost sound better for hard rock, and Triples, more for extreme metal sounds.

It's strange because if I remember correctly, the best sounding recto is the rev F dual rectifier, which is the one we have on the AXE. More aggro sound. The later rectos are fizzier and flubbier.

Please remember this gem - because I think you're using modern mode, THE recto mode for the chugga chugga stuff:

"If you are using the Modern mode then it's all about the Spkr page. Since that mode has no negative feedback the speaker resonance has a tremendous effect on the sound. Adjust LF Res, Freq and Q to get desired response.

This is the key of obtaining the recto sound using the Axe to me. Lower that f***ing bass knob down to 1 or 2 and get your low end using the speaker page. Master 1.5-2.5. Gain around 7-8. Instant gratification. Presence at 10 is ridicolous even in the Axe fx, you should end up having a buzzsaw! Do you have some excessive frequency cut in the cab block?

Also remember to use SILICON RECTIFICATION which means to low the Supply Sag to 1 or 2 in the Amp block. The tube rectification (simulated using sag 2.5 to 4 or more) is spongier and tends to let you have a looser sound, which it is not what you want. This behaviour is the same as in the real recto amp (edit: Roadster/Road king) :)

Last edited:
It's strange because if I remember correctly, the best sounding recto is the rev F dual rectifier, which is the one we have on the AXE. More aggro sound. The later rectos are fizzier and flubbier.

Please remember this gem - because I think you're using modern mode, THE recto mode for the chugga chugga stuff:

"If you are using the Modern mode then it's all about the Spkr page. Since that mode has no negative feedback the speaker resonance has a tremendous effect on the sound. Adjust LF Res, Freq and Q to get desired response.

This is the key of obtaining the recto sound using the Axe to me. Lower that f***ing bass knob down to 1 or 2 and get your low end using the speaker page. Master 1.5-2.5. Gain around 7-8. Instant gratification. Presence at 10 is ridicolous even in the Axe fx, you should end up having a buzzsaw! Do you have some excessive frequency cut in the cab block?

Also remember to use SILICON RECTIFICATION which means to low the Supply Sag to 1 or 2 in the Amp block. The tube rectification (simulated using sag 2.5 to 4 or more) is spongier and tends to let you have a looser sound, which it is not what you want. This behaviour is the same as in the real recto amp (edit: Roadster/Road king) :)
Wow, this is really the best post for this sound that I've seen in a long time. Bless you for taking the time to write it.

The biggest issue I have in trying to get the same sound on my Axe-FX II is actually the low end punch. The Axe just doesn't pump out the low end punch in the same way. The real amp sounds like a sledgehammer coming through the wall.
That's because you've got Master Volume turned down to 1. The power amp sim isn't being driven. Turn MV up until you find the sweet spot.

Back
Top Bottom