Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 8.01 Firmware Release & New Bank A Presets

8.01 is killing at the gig tonight. All amps are smokin in detail and feel, especially the AC30TB - wow!

Yeah, the AC30TB in Q8.01 is glorious!

Cliff - the new bank-A presets are sounding great. Thanks for taking the time to redo them!

first gig last night with 8.01........First impression in In-Ear Mix - the High end is missing , my sounds seemed to cut not so good.
Man an the FOH said - everythings great.

installed 8.01 and the new presets. Sound amazing. When the presets got done loading I had my bass plugged in to the axe. it came up on the bassman patch and sounded glorious! One of the amps that jumped out at me was the Maz38. The response is incredible. I also tried it through my studio monitors for the first time in a long time yesterday and I can't get over how good it sounds in a FRFR mode!!! Fantastic improvements over time!!!! Thanks Cliff!

Totally agree. I am on the verge of selling my Fender Stratocaster. Last night on a whim I decided to play thru a few of the Fender emulations with my Strat. I'm reconsidering selling the Strat now. :) I was playing Dick Dale, SRV, etc. and was thinking "dangit Cliff!". :)
Everyone should own at least one Strat.
That's funny you guys mentioned the Strat and the Fender amps. One of the first riffs my dad taught me how to play when I started learning guitar was The Ventures Pipeline. He loves that old surf music. Actually took him to see Dick Dale in concert last year. So when I sat down with the new presets yesterday and tried out the Double Verb preset and heard that tone I grabbed my Strat, cranked the Reverb and busted out some Pipeline. I texted my dad after and said you are gonna love this sound I'm getting right now. I gotta record some clips for him this weekend. Blown away with Q8.01.

Last edited:
first gig last night with 8.01........First impression in In-Ear Mix - the High end is missing , my sounds seemed to cut not so good.
Man an the FOH said - everythings great.

I'm actually dealing with this issue at the moment as well. My advice is to tune your patches to your studio monitors so they'll sound great at FOH.

Secondly, IEM's are rarely flat, so it may help you to do a google search for the frequency response of your IEM model and then have your monitor engineer put a master EQ on your mix to help flatten them out.

For instance, I'm using UE11's, and to get them sounding flat, I'm cutting 165 Hz, boosting 1.5k with a wide Q, cutting a little 2.3k, and boosting a high shelf at 8k. It cuts the mud out and takes the blanket off of the entire mix. It'll be different for your particular IEM's, but that's the idea to help your patches translate better to your in-ears.

installed 8.01 and the new presets. Sound amazing. When the presets got done loading I had my bass plugged in to the axe. it came up on the bassman patch and sounded glorious! One of the amps that jumped out at me was the Maz38. The response is incredible. I also tried it through my studio monitors for the first time in a long time yesterday and I can't get over how good it sounds in a FRFR mode!!! Fantastic improvements over time!!!! Thanks Cliff!

Bix - agreement in full on both of these amps, especially the MAZ-38. Having had three or four of the earlier MAZ-38's, the ones in the prior Axe-Fx FW updates just didn't do it for me. Now, though, the 8.01 MAZ-38 is just absolutely delicious. I couldn't get enough of it last night.

It would be awesome to see a couple of the other amps I was using around the time I was doing the MAZ's in the Axe - namely the Goodsell Super-17 and Sewell Texaplex-25. These were both somewhat in a similar camp as the MAZ-38, for me, and had some great tones. I've still kept the Goodsell Super-17, and have missed the Sewell a hundred times. The latest MAZ-38 helps to soften not having that one. ;)

Jeepers! The hits just keep coming! I'm working through the new preset Cliff offered up (bank A) and have to reconfig them for how I want them across 5 scenes. Ton O'work, but a labor of love.

Got to the Plexi's last night (skipped the Vox's for now,- but they're next, then the rectos ;) ) and what I'm noticing in 8.01 is a very rich harmonic (overtones?) content in the distortion. From CA OD2, Komets, Hook to the Fenders, now into Plexis is just beautiful rich distortion which just is pure sonic velvet.

Wish I had the proper adjectives; I don't know what made the difference (and I just moved locations, so struggling with a new room, and speaker placement), but these amps are off the chain with complex, enjoyable, (did I say rich?) distortion.

Some are "less", e.g. Boutique 1 - not sure I know what happened, except I overwrote my own versions with the Bank A presets. Same for Princeton, but I'm sure with work I can get them back. May not need to though with other models really popping!

I wish someone could tell me what's really happening, since I don't have a lot of tube amp experience. I don't know if all amps sound this good, but many of these are all keepers right out of the box.

Thank you Cliff & Co (FAS)!

I got nothing to add here....just wanted to reiterate the new presets are killer and the effort is much appreciated as always!

The Mr Z MAZ 38 model in the 8.01 FW sounds amazingly real (I hadn't actually tried it since about 6, so it could be improvements from before); perfect for this style too:

So glad I have this beast.

8.01 has more high end than any previous firmware. Your ears are deceiving you. Trust your soundman.
ha ha, if you knew our soundman, you wouldn´t trust him....he doesn´t like Overdrive/Distortion....
But yesterday at the second show this weekend i liked it very much - only had to change my view - it sounds really great in the mix.

i don´t think there´s so much High End - every note has a detailed picking, also with clean sounds - so this makes the guitar audible in the mix.
The Fender Deluxe has got this "Blubb" at every picking, very significant with a Jensen P12/C12 IR. Very nice.

Last edited:
I'm actually dealing with this issue at the moment as well. My advice is to tune your patches to your studio monitors so they'll sound great at FOH.

Secondly, IEM's are rarely flat, so it may help you to do a google search for the frequency response of your IEM model and then have your monitor engineer put a master EQ on your mix to help flatten them out.

For instance, I'm using UE11's, and to get them sounding flat, I'm cutting 165 Hz, boosting 1.5k with a wide Q, cutting a little 2.3k, and boosting a high shelf at 8k. It cuts the mud out and takes the blanket off of the entire mix. It'll be different for your particular IEM's, but that's the idea to help your patches translate better to your in-ears.

Thanks for your solution, Justin.
It´s difficult - the sounds are different from headphone to studio monitors to Live - IEM. I´m having a bass cut at 120 hz on the In-Earmix , on the frontmix even 180hz- but there is still enough lowend. Boosting at 1,5 k seems to low for me for a "cutting" sound - we have a lot of keyboardsounds (two keyboardplayers on stage).
I think 8.1 is great sounding - but there are not the sparkle highs which i sometimes like. It sounds natural, direct.
And there so many amps in this amps like never before which got this good basicsound - at previous FW´s "oh, the fenders are great, but the marschalls..mmh.."
We can only improve our playing, the axesound doesnt´has to.....:D

Hope I'm not stating the obvious but the new presets don't just include edits of the old presets. There are a bunch of completely new ones (a Satch patch, etc.) that I stumbled on last night. Just wanted to mention this in case folks are just expecting the same presets from years ago. A lot of great tweaks and a lot of brand new ones.

Back
Top Bottom