Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 8.00 Firmware Release

Question from Axe Fx II mark I user : can I update directly from 6.03 to 8 or do I have to load FW7 first ?

Tried v8 briefly tonight; FWIW, in general my existing presets needed more low end removed/tweaked. Levels for clean/bluesy/mid gain/lead presets were fine; the only level that really dropped was my high gain preset (one of the Dizzy amps)...had to bring that one up a few dB.

Haven't had time to really dig in (just quickly tweaked my gig presets), but overall first impressions of v8 is that it's juicer and seems richer in the mids, and the high end is really smooth and sweet. v8 will be an fun one to dial in I can tell already...

Yeah. I always wondered if it had been a little lower in the drive department than what MR VH had been working with. Its very hard to know I'm sure, but its very cool that Cliff did this cuz attempts at matching this amp have always been a special case for me in terms of interest, and wished for musical journeys. I look forward to spending an extra amount of time with her, without pissing any other amps or women off of course.
The Brit Brown in 8.00, with a boost of an 808 pedal perhaps, is very authentic sounding. The single note line C, B-C, of Ain't Talkin' Bout Love, where that authenticity counts so much, is so authentic even without Flanger, which is actually amazing. Also note that I didn't even try a series of cabs - just used the basketweave TV mix. Oh, and an optical 2 compressor at about 7.

EDIT: I've made a companion preset where I bypass the 808, using the input trim to effectively add the slight amount of hotness required. Wow, this really works with the volume knob, gets a lot of the feel of Eddie's playing, and so forth. The 808 may help for the Eruption style, but the little rhythm bits just love to have the drive pedal turned off.

Last edited:
+1000
Having a tick mark on the virtual knob for default value that updates when FW updates (similar to block updates) could also be a solution. Double click = actual default, and having a tick mark for default have both been requested.
This is such an amp-nerdy subject. I shudder to think what the world will look like if everyone truly understands the hidden intentions behind the amp circuitry.

But I also agree that reset should exclude GEQ, although I like a flat EQ in the amp to start, so I am saying that because the needs of many outweigh the needs of original trekies.

I've been using the Shimmer drive in front of all my high gain amps and it is the perfect combo. I knock the gain down a bit on the amp so it's not too crazy and bam! Perfect chunk for days! This is the happiest I've been with my gear in a long time.

I'm a little nervous about poking my head above the parapet to ask this question as I know people are frustrated at the same questions being asked time again, however..............

Will my v7.02 presets DEFINITELY sound different from the moment I upgrade or does it take some action on my part to make the changes.

On the last update I just left all my presets alone and they still sounded great, but it allowed me to download Fremen's 7.02 preset pack.

I'd like the same to happen this time, with all my existing presets left alone by me but allowing me to download Moke's v8 presets.

If v8 automatically alters my existing presets I may just hold off as I'm finally in a great place with my presets and I'm not much of a dialling man.

Thanks for you patience and hopeful kindness in answering.

I'm a little nervous about poking my head above the parapet to ask this question as I know people are frustrated at the same questions being asked time again, however..............

Will my v7.02 presets DEFINITELY sound different from the moment I upgrade or does it take some action on my part to make the changes.

On the last update I just left all my presets alone and they still sounded great, but it allowed me to download Fremen's 7.02 preset pack.

I'd like the same to happen this time, with all my existing presets left alone by me but allowing me to download Moke's v8 presets.

If v8 automatically alters my existing presets I may just hold off as I'm finally in a great place with my presets and I'm not much of a dialling man.

Thanks for you patience and hopeful kindness in answering.

Why not just update the firmware, try it with your presets, and if it's not for you then just rollback to 7.0.2, no harm, no foul? I suspect you'll be fine though.

This would be a big time saver.

^^ This

I just up'ed to 8.0 final for a couple of upcoming shows - all went fine - all-amps / presets etc.... and re-tweaked ...but yeah ... an option to do the amp re-sets exclude amp GEQ would be really handy.

Ben

The Swart is killing it now. Once ya get the BMT & High & Low Cuts set up, try flipping on the Fat & the Boost Switches. I almost never utilize the boost switch, but I flipped it & couldn't turn it off, it rips. Best way to describe it is it gets thick like a good gumbo, but retains string to string definition letting you savor each individual ingredient.
FWIW, I used it thru a few different IR's & while they all had their own character, they all sounded good. (*OBOT Caroll Ann Sugar Cone(which you could use factory #121 Triptik Mix), Zilla Flattest, Dumble 12L) I personally like the Sugar Cone, but I love that cab, it's one of my personal favorites.
Anyway, had to share that since the Swart was fixed and never sounded better.

I've been using the Shimmer drive in front of all my high gain amps and it is the perfect combo. I knock the gain down a bit on the amp so it's not too crazy and bam! Perfect chunk for days! This is the happiest I've been with my gear in a long time.
REDD, I agree, The Shimmer is such a perfect compliment to pushing an amp a bit more & adding a bit more gain at the same time. And depending on how much low there already is, I'll just set the Low Cut on the Shimmer usually around 300Hz to keep the low definition.. It's easily one of the best most versatile pedals.. I'm just hoping he's got more tricks like these up his sleves. :cool:

Could someone else that uses the 5F1 Tweed amp check and see if it is sounding weird. I have 75 presets I use for all kinds of different musical situations, all different amps. After the update this amp was soooooo much quieter. I only had to make minor volume adjustments to every other amp, but this one was far quieter, and it also lost its nads. If I dime the input volume and the master volume, it just isn't anything like it was before. I did the deselect and reselect on that particular preset in the amp block, but the problem remains.

Other than that, this firmware sounds excellent. I'll also throw in another +1 for finding a way to keep the GEQ settings in the amp block after you do a deselect-reselect. That would rock and save some serious time for a person like me that uses lots of presets. I only reselect the amp block when the firmware release notes suggest it, but that is a definite time suck to set up the GEQ again.

I agree with this I'm doing exactly the same :)

Had the first gig last night with Q8 - still beta, i´ve forgotten to update.
But it worked well, all the sounds are "fresher" and cutted better than in 7.02.

Some leadsounds seemed to have to less bottom, like the Spawn 2 - 3.

The Voxsounds and AC20 are so great - open highs, crispy.

Had a lot of fun to hear and play this sounds!

I'll have to try that....

REDD, I agree, The Shimmer is such a perfect compliment to pushing an amp a bit more & adding a bit more gain at the same time. And depending on how much low there already is, I'll just set the Low Cut on the Shimmer usually around 300Hz to keep the low definition.. It's easily one of the best most versatile pedals.. I'm just hoping he's got more tricks like these up his sleves. :cool:

The Timothy is another recent addition that can do the same trick.

Back
Top Bottom