Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 7.02 Public Beta

Not easily. That data is not available outside the object.
And if you link amp's level knob to motor drive threshold? I.e.: lowering amp level by 6dB will also reduce threshold by 6dB

Edit: now I see a potential issue with this, there are 2 amps and cabs. LOL

Last edited:
That's not a solution. A lot of players, myself included as well as many pro players, use both direct-out (FOH) and power amp/cab (stage backline). Disabling Motor Drive in the Global menu would affect direct-out as well.

Yes!
I'm the same, using both FRFR (FOH), and direct to amp/cab at the same time, so I think Cliff has done this the right way.

Many decisions nowadays are related to support. You'd be surprised at some of the questions we get and how much time is devoted to support. As such we're trying to dumb things down when possible.
Ain't that the truth.

I know when we're programming and doing UI design, one of the main considerations is how much support drag an "optimal design" is going to create. A simpler, less optimal design (from an engineering/logical standpoint) usually wins the day. People -- creatives in particular -- aren't logical. ;)

I suggested a Motor Drive BLOCK partially in jest, since it's uglier and hack-y. But if we're going to let principles be our guide, all the Speaker Resonance parameters need to move over to the cab block too. Just sayin'...

But all other issues aside, having it in the amp block would make it easier to implement in the AX8 where the limited CPU available to the cab block is an issue.

I suggested a Motor Drive BLOCK partially in jest, since it's uglier and hack-y. But if we're going to let principles be our guide, all the Speaker Resonance parameters need to move over to the cab block too. Just sayin'...

But all other issues aside, having it in the amp block would make it easier to implement in the AX8 where the limited CPU available to the cab block is an issue.

The Speaker Resonance parameters need to be in the amp block because they are necessary for the power amp algorithms. They are unnecessary for the cab block.

The Speaker Resonance parameters need to be in the amp block because they are necessary for the power amp algorithms. They are unnecessary for the cab block.
Okay, I see. Is that because the power amp needs impedance information (or something along those lines) to operate accurately?

It's an example of what happens when what "makes sense" to the user/UI runs into the brick wall of engineering requirements. It's almost like your blocks class needs it's own API to pass information (at edit time) to/from other registered blocks. :)

I'll share the preset later, but here's the basic settings :
optical 1 ( comp 5, level 4), amp (with 2.25 out comp), cab, optical 1 (comp 2.5, level 4)
Amp is 6G4 Super with drive on 3.30, bass 5.5, mid 8.40 and treble 4.48, level -20
Cab is a custom one
Awesome - thanks for the details!

Is there a basic factory cab that is in the ballpark? Maybe the Bogner+Fane cab?

I don't join the congratulatory/thank-you circle J after firmware releases. I monitor the forum to make sure I'm aware of everything going on but I don't post.

The last FW update (7.01) and the motor drive beta (7.02b) are different; Different enough that I'm joining the group grope. These updates are great and bring an awesome speed-of-attainment to the tone chasing we've all been doing since we first picked up an electric guitar. High gain amps have carried the day for years on the AXE FX because in heavy distortion a lot of sins are covered. The most recent updates have favored the other half and have provided damn near perfection in recorded electric guitar sound.

Fractal team and Cliff: I've never said it after a firmware update but congratulations, you've enabled professionally mastered guitar sounds with what can be characterized as ease.

best,
m

I'm all for updates that improve the low and mid gain amps. It seems like so much of the discussion is on high gain and metal playing and that's fine if that's your thing. But it would be nice to see improvements that enable clean players, jazz players, fusion players, acoustic players on the other end of the spectrum. And we have seen a number of those improvements as well. Thanks

Could it be possible to have a 'none' option in the cab block for cabs for those who use plugins to load IRs when recording with the Axe FX 2? I agree the cab block makes sense for motor drive but there are people who record using cab sims but not the cab block itself (e.g. those who use cablab plugin etc)

I'm still on 7.01 as I haven't had a chance to update yet, currently in the middle of some recordings.

Back
Top Bottom