Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 7.02 Public Beta

FractalAudio

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
Mark I/II:
www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-2/Quantum/7.0/AxeFx2_Quantum_7p02beta.syx

XL:
www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-2/Quantum/7.0/AxeFx2_XL_Quantum_7p02beta.syx

XL+:
www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-2/Quantum/7.0/AxeFx2_XLplus_Quantum_7p02beta.syx

Axe-Fx II Quantum Firmware Release Notes

Improved Motor Drive algorithm in Cabinet block. New algorithm more accurately models the compression of guitar loudspeakers by factoring in the reactive aspects of the compression.

A gain monitor has been added to the Mix page in the GUI menu to assist in adjusting the amount of compression. Note that typical guitar speakers have around 3-6 dB of compression when driven hard with American speakers being on the low end of that range and British speakers being on the high end. Some speakers can exhibit even more compression than this with compression amounts of 8 dB or more depending upon the magnetic materials used and the construction of the speaker motor.

Last edited:
29589c30f9d971649e9c2463091e3ad2f18d4cbd

Man you need to take some time off...

A gain monitor has been added to the Mix page in the GUI menu to assist in adjusting the amount of compression. Note that typical guitar speakers have around 3-6 dB of compression when driven hard with American speakers being on the low end of that range and British speakers being on the high end. Some speakers can exhibit even more compression than this with compression amounts of 8 dB or more depending upon the magnetic materials used and the construction of the speaker motor.
So the control works totally different now. By that i mean much higher settings don't yeild as drastic of results. I notice on a mesa cab with vintage 30's to get it in the 3db range I have to bring the control up to about 6. would this be correct?

Edit, just noticed the default setting is 6.67 so i guess my estimate of 6 was about right...

Last edited:
I'm back home tomorrow night so I'll have to wait 24 he's till I hear the new Motor Drive. Thank's a Million Cliff.

Time OFF?, he can't stay away from this baby...! Thanks again Cliff, ill never get tired of saying that, even if there are no more updates!! LOL

this evening = Les Paul 1970 + Quantum 7.02 :cool:

somtimes life can be good with you :p

many thanks for this tremendous work!!

I think i found a bug..

If we reset the cab block (dubble press BYPASS) Motor Drive resets to a value of 6.67
Why do you think that's a bug? If all speakers naturally compress in this kind of situation, wouldn't it make sense to have some non-zero default?

If you make any level changes make sure you do it with the level adjustment in the cab block if you want to keep your compression level in the speaker drive.... This is def more icing on the cake

Last edited:
The new default setting (which is about in the ballpark of the IR of my own cab) can put up the CPU by a couple of %. Most of my presets can handle it nicely, so it's OK, but just something to be aware of.
Can anyone describe what the benefit of this compression is in an audio sense, other than it being more 'realistic' to actual speaker behaviour? i.e. does it sound grittier, darker, etc...

the motor drive improvement sounds great...but Northwestern is currently getting pounded on by Gonzaga...can you fix that Cliff?

Back
Top Bottom