Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 7.02 Public Beta

I'm using it with stereo cabs here and it works and sounds great.

I think it might be because IRs that sounded good together without motor drive might not sound as good together with motor drive. The stereo sounded fine when I used the same IR. I think I might just need to adjust which IRs I use together.

no, it's got nothing to do with "cutting through" for me. i play in a band with keyboards and i have no problem being heard. this is to do with recreating real world behaviour. the amplifier part of the signal chain is damn near perfect (maybe even better than real), it's what happens in the other part and that's the speaker. the ultrares IR's are amazing, but if cliff is saying that real speakers compress up to 6db, then that's incredibly significant. if this new motor drive is replicating that behaviour, then that's a big part of the puzzle.
I'm a big fan of using compressors, but rather for color than squash and I don't really feeling the 2 opts or the new motor drive.
I mean with loaded down heads I actually dig the motor drive, with sims it's all too small a window between nothing happening and too much pfffllllttttt...pfllllltttt on the attack. But hey I can always turn it down.

I tried the new motor drive last night with the Plexi 100W, greenback from the Player's Pack and a Les Paul. What I found was I liked a little, but not a lot. Maybe it's because the Plexi is already a fairly compressed, mid-focused amp. It just felt like if I got much above 3 the dynamics were squashed too much, along with losing some openness in the highs and lows.

I'll have to try other amps today.

Has anyone had any issues with the Axe as an audio interface with 7.02? Loaded it up last night and this morning the sound from the PC was distorted. (guitar sound was ok)

Reinstalled 7.01 and all good again.
Installed again and all good. Now to play with the new stuff

Same Here! Works perfect with Stereo Cabs! LOL

Does the new meter work in stereo? I didnt spend a ton of time trying to make my stereo cabs sound good, but using stereo with different IRs made my patches sound weird with motor drive. I switched my patches to single IRs and sounds so much better. I love the update though I am not complaining.

Wow.. the last weeks updates has been amazing.
It's a huge improvement on Cab IR, more than any update ever has done.
Even some old cab packages that I didn't care about before sounds tremendous now. I can now make use my extra cab user slots from the XL upgrade =)

Does the new meter work in stereo? I didnt spend a ton of time trying to make my stereo cabs sound good, but using stereo with different IRs made my patches sound weird with motor drive. I switched my patches to single IRs and sounds so much better. I love the update though I am not complaining.
YUP! Sounds awesome here! All my patches are stereo! Sounds great with clean presets as well as dirty, its got a sweet "mid range up" about it! I have mine set on 7! LOL

Does the new meter work in stereo? I didnt spend a ton of time trying to make my stereo cabs sound good, but using stereo with different IRs made my patches sound weird with motor drive. I switched my patches to single IRs and sounds so much better.

Was the IR the only difference between left and right? The other paramps were all the same?

Quick notes.

My main sticking point has been cabs. I can make them sound good, but I have few 'wow' moments.

After playing with this for 15 minutes, I have wow moments. Can make any cab sound great. I did find that I got rid of 'dephase' on all of them (sounded a little strange with it.) Had to make adjustments in low/high end cuts in cab block, and some minor TMB and gain changes, but all is absolutely glorious.

Just when you think it can't get better...it does.

yeah, don't forget that using two cab blocks with the motor drive will cause phase problems. use one stereo cab.

I was using one stereo cab. It was more like the cabs were out of focus and I lost some definition like I was playing with too much reverb.

I had today half an hour to play with the new motor drive. What I realised immediately was that the volume goes up considerably when you mix in the motor drive. Therefore I'm not quite sure if the motor drive does make the sound more articulate or if it is just some Fletcher Munson effect? Won't be near my Axe for another week but have to test more before I can judge the new parameter. Or is it complete BS what I'm saying?

I was using one stereo cab. It was more like the cabs were out of focus and I lost some definition like I was playing with too much reverb.

Sounds like a phase issue. Again: are you that all other parameters were set the same, for both sides?

I had today half an hour to play with the new motor drive. What I realised immediately was that the volume goes up considerably when you mix in the motor drive. Therefore I'm not quite sure if the motor drive does make the sound more articulate or if it is just some Fletcher Munson effect? Won't be near my Axe for another week but have to test more before I can judge the new parameter. Or is it complete BS what I'm saying?

I still hear the improvement after turning down my level on the cab block to compensate for the increase in volume.

Back
Top Bottom