Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 7.02 Firmware Release

The formula is tau = M * C * theta where M = mass, C = specific heat of the voice coil material (typically copper) and theta = thermal resistance between the voice coil and the magnet gap.

Umh. I wish you answered the second part of the question!! Lol

Got to installing this last night and played around for a bit with my FRFR setup using a pair of CLR active wedges. Sounds and feels pretty good. Thanks FAS!

However I would still give it all up for 2 more scene controllers and working pitch detection from the looper block. /wink

yes, i've been comparing 50ms to 200ms. it's difficult to hear exactly what's happening at bedroom volume, but 50ms seems like it would work well for chugs and palm mutes, because the compressor recovers between chords and compresses faster. this suggests to me that it would sound good for that type of material, because it would react in a way that's appropriate for what's being played (just like how you would set up a compressor in your daw etc). a more "explosive" attack would result.
That relates well to the speaker choices we would make in the real world. The V30 has a fast and punchy response, whereas an AlNiCo blue has a much slower and compressed response, which is great for chime and some classic rock.

I just finished revisiting all the "amp+cab" presets that accompany the Guide to the Fractal Audio AMP models.

Performed a soft reset, changed some cabs, checked the tone and adjusted controls (following the guide).
I'll publish the updated collection somewhere next week.

It struck me that I didn't come across any amp type that sounded "off".
As many have already written, many of 7.02's amp models sound already great at stock settings.
And the default Presence setting also needs less adjustment than before.

Only exception (of the amp models I tested) might be Brit Brown, which sounds different than before, and now needs Drive and Presence cranked. And I don't care as much for the Wreckers as I used to.

Only exception (of the amp models I tested) might be Brit Brown, which sounds different than before, and now needs Drive and Presence cranked. And I don't care as much for the Wreckers as I used to.
I'm struggling with the CCV and Cornford on this release. The gain of the Cornford sounds different (buzzy/fizzy (having this problem with a lot of high gain Marshall variant presets... but this one is too much )) and CCV feels less aggressive and mushy cannot get into the same teritory it could easily go to without a boost before. They are daily drivers for me and feel 'off'. They may be more accurate, though. ;) I am used to the models not the amps... cost of progress. Am going to try completely wiping my presets and starting over on those amps. Maybe mix some custom IRs..

yes, i've been comparing 50ms to 200ms. it's difficult to hear exactly what's happening at bedroom volume, but 50ms seems like it would work well for chugs and palm mutes, because the compressor recovers between chords and compresses faster. this suggests to me that it would sound good for that type of material, because it would react in a way that's appropriate for what's being played (just like how you would set up a compressor in your daw etc). a more "explosive" attack would result.
This is what I've noticed as well, I like shorter times for my gainier patches but my dc30 one thrived at the default

I found that the Mark IIC++ is a lot more authentic with Q7. Rolling back the transformer match a tad and putting motor drive at around 7 really makes a difference. Gigging it tomorrow because it sounded better than ever at rehearsals last night.

I ...And I don't care as much for the Wreckers as I used to.

I'm actually liking them better these days. But they're certainly less 'distinctive' than they were. That new greeny cab I'm really liking.

I noticed one of them seemed to be at a very different volume level than the other amps (Rocket maybe). My output levels are generally around 13, and this one had to be closer to 8 to have the same volume. I'll look closer later.

I'm struggling with the CCV and Cornford on this release. The gain of the Cornford sounds different (buzzy/fizzy (having this problem with a lot of high gain Marshall variant presets... but this one is too much )) and CCV feels less aggressive and mushy cannot get into the same teritory it could easily go to without a boost before. They are daily drivers for me and feel 'off'. They may be more accurate, though. ;) I am used to the models not the amps... cost of progress. Am going to try completely wiping my presets and starting over on those amps. Maybe mix some custom IRs..

CCV is painfully bright but still delivers that awesome agressive into-your-face burst. I like it.

Cornford is very loose, reminds me of a 'better' recto. It kills with a TS drive in front of it, which makes it tighter.

If some presets are less loud after updating to 7.02 final, check your "pedal comp" blocks (as mentioned in the release notes).
In some case I had to increase the block's Level to compensate (about 2.5 - 3 dB).

Did we resolve the drop in drop in volume thing? I'm hearing a drop in volume and don't have a pedal compressor block in the chain? I do have a studio compressor block in there? Help :) whats going on!?!?!?! ,

I'm actually liking them better these days. But they're certainly less 'distinctive' than they were. That new greeny cab I'm really liking.

I noticed one of them seemed to be at a very different volume level than the other amps (Rocket maybe). My output levels are generally around 13, and this one had to be closer to 8 to have the same volume. I'll look closer later.
Are you saying your Amp block Output Level is at +13dB?

None of mine are above 0. In fact, most are around -12dB.

Are you saying your Amp block Output Level is at +13dB?

None of mine are above 0. In fact, most are around -12dB.

It's the Rocket that doesn't seem to be right. Everything at -13 DB. Just tested it against the Liverpool. (I don't use compression, so that's not it.) Switch back and forth and see if someone else can confirm. Of course setting levels is no big deal, but this seems out of sorts.

FYI it sounds great.

Weird behavior with optical comp inline mode after the amp, with Cliff settings in its preset example:
- in 7.02b: it boost the sound in a nice way
- in 7.02: a weaker sounds than without it....

...?
I use classic compression and it is the second block in the chain, right after an EQ block, before amp and cab. Not sure if it makes a difference. But it sounds great.

Back
Top Bottom