Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 7.01 Firmware Release

Since the previous amp model versions have been removed, does that mean all our presets are "updated" - meaning we don't have to switch to another amp model and then switch back to get the Q7.01 sound?

That's something different you are talking about. The previous firmware option was not related to the workflow where we must reselect an Amp to get the correct settings.

So the answer is, you do have to reselect the Amp on existing presets when you update firmware, even though Previous Firmware has been removed.

re-install the FW of your choice
I get it, Roll back to the previous firmware...
But, If that firmware has bugs - And Q7 did (see Cliffs release notes) then you cant, if the bugs affect you, and in my case they do, I use the crunch parameter all the time, I nearly always tweak it whenever I adjust input gain and MV.
My earlier post was flavored to say/mean, If we have to keep moving forward and memory is tight, could or would it be possible to bring firmware out first with bugs fixed, then bring the new effects algorithms, cabs etc etc.
Personally I would have loved to have seen Q7.01 as a bug fixed version of Q7.0
Then Q7.02 the version with the new effects and roll back feature disabled.... Then honestly I think that's about as good as you could get from Fractal. And it's a sure platform to move forward with.

Thanks for listening dude :),

COMP: 4.30 or so
Attack: 10.23
Release: 106.48
Auto switch : off

The other parameters is pretty much at noon and I placed it at the end of the route and used ''Line'' for Input level

Thanks! just tried it. Sounds good. I have a hard time setting up compressors right. Never know for sure what to do with the emphasis and look ahead settings. I try to use my ears but sometimes the changes are very subtle. Also not sure whether it sounds best before or after the cab. Also not before or after the drive etc. Too many options.

Any compressor setting recommendations for clean finger picking tone (a la Mark Knopfler)? Or a medium drive finger picking solo style a la Jeff Beck? I mostly play finger style on electric and use a strat. What type of compressor would you use for that in general? and where do you place it?

I get it, Roll back to the previous firmware...
But, If that firmware has bugs - And Q7 did (see Cliffs release notes) then you cant, if the bugs affect you, and in my case they do, I use the crunch parameter all the time, I nearly always tweak it whenever I adjust input gain and MV.
My earlier post was flavored to say/mean, If we have to keep moving forward and memory is tight, could or would it be possible to bring firmware out first with bugs fixed, then bring the new effects algorithms, cabs etc etc.
Personally I would have loved to have seen Q7.01 as a bug fixed version of Q7.0
Then Q7.02 the version with the new effects and roll back feature disabled.... Then honestly I think that's about as good as you could get from Fractal. And it's a sure platform to move forward with.
FW 7.01 IS FW 7.00 with bugs fixed and extra goodies, not a single change to any amp parameter. As would be any incremental bug release. So, not really sure where the issue could possibly be? Rolling from 7.01 back to 7.00 would not change anything tone wise on any amp whatsoever.

EDIT: My mistake, I hadn't had time to fully wake up & have a full cup when I first read & replied. I think I now understand what you were saying now. Your wish was for Fractal to only release 100% flawless Firmwares. Totally bug free.
I think that is an absolutely amazing idea. We should hold Fractal to nothing less than the industry bare minimum standard. There ought to be laws that protect us from half-assed lazy, sloppy coding work such as this, and then, on top of that, there is simply NO EXCUSE, for such a massive company to make us wait as long as they consistently do before they release a fix, (if they ever do).
Do you really think that they would release a final FW knowing there is a bug in it?
Good Grief!

Last edited:
FW 7.01 IS FW 7.00 with bugs fixed and extra goodies, not a single change to any amp parameter. As would be any incremental bug release. So, not really sure where the issue could possibly be? Rolling from 7.01 back to 7.00 would not change anything tone wise on any amp whatsoever.

EDIT: My mistake, I hadn't had time to fully wake up & have a full cup when I first read & replied. I think I now understand what you were saying now. Your wish was for Fractal to only release 100% flawless Firmwares. Totally bug free.
I think that is an absolutely amazing idea. We should hold Fractal to nothing less than the industry bare minimum standard. There ought to be laws that protect us from half-assed lazy, sloppy coding work such as this, and then, on top of that, there is simply NO EXCUSE, for such a massive company to make us wait as long as they consistently do before they release a fix, (if they ever do).
Do you really think that they would release a final FW knowing there is a bug in it?
Good Grief!
I think you are mis reading what he is trying to say. In short he wants to stay with Q7 to have the ability to rollback, but because of the bugs in it he can't. So he was simply saying if there was a bug fix for 7 only that he could apply, that way he could keep the roll back feature AND have his bugs fixed. He was in no way trying to say that he expects every firmware to be completely bug free.

I think you are mis reading what he is trying to say. In short he wants to stay with Q7 to have the ability to rollback, but because of the bugs in it he can't. So he was simply saying if there was a bug fix for 7 only that he could apply, that way he could keep the roll back feature AND have his bugs fixed. He was in no way trying to say that he expects every firmware to be completely bug free.
Yes - Correct :)
Good Grief!
Calm down;)

Of course we cant expect all firmwares to be exact and perfect all the time, mistakes do happen of course, but to have them fixed and not expect to lose any features..... Yes I would like that, and think its a good platform to move forward on, that way, users do really have a realistic option to roll back if they choose.

Also and on side note, If in future its apparent that the flagship model (XL+) is running out of memory, then what happens to any new amps effects etc which Fractal would like to put in? Fractal may decide to take amps and effects out and replace them with different ones.....Then it will for sure get messy.
I think it may have already started with cabs...but at least with cabs you can upload into user slots from file... I was suggesting (in my OP) that this could work for all blocks going forward - Amps, effects etc. Fractal would release them, and user would load them as and when required...
But keep the bug fixes separate.

Guys... this FW sound gorgeous! Now attacks are fully controllable and sound natural even on hi gains.
Trust me you will not loose nothing with old crappy firmwares :) As usual each of them seemed to be "it cannot be better". But now... really...

I could not agree more! I'm beginning to wonder why I paid the extra money for this XL+! Perhaps we should've been more vocal like the MK II players.
i'm assuming you really didn't buy an XL+ simply for the ability to roll back FW. I was using the feature as well because even with 7 i liked certain amps better on 4 but it's gone, i've made some adjustments, my ears have adjusted as well, i love it, not sad about losing the modeling version parameter. onward...

Running this latest firmware I tried turning off the IR's and using my greenback 25 cab instead of my Matrix 2 x 12 cab and I have to say I don't want to go back to that again. It's at such a high standard now it's just a backward step. The new shimmer drive is very special too. Gives a non master vol amp that recto pick attack and drive. Nice mids as well.

Yes - Correct :)

Calm down;)

Of course we cant expect all firmwares to be exact and perfect all the time, mistakes do happen of course, but to have them fixed and not expect to lose any features..... Yes I would like that, and think its a good platform to move forward on, that way, users do really have a realistic option to roll back if they choose.

Also and on side note, If in future its apparent that the flagship model (XL+) is running out of memory, then what happens to any new amps effects etc which Fractal would like to put in? Fractal may decide to take amps and effects out and replace them with different ones.....Then it will for sure get messy.
I think it may have already started with cabs...but at least with cabs you can upload into user slots from file... I was suggesting (in my OP) that this could work for all blocks going forward - Amps, effects etc. Fractal would release them, and user would load them as and when required...
But keep the bug fixes separate.
Ahh, okay, I see the issue that I missed. I apologize for my sarcastic retort. I tend to get a bit ripped when I see what I would consider someone not appreciating someone else's hard work. Especially when it's given to them for free, for their benefit out of the goodness of their heart & their love & dedication to their work. Stuff like that drives me nuts, and I totally misunderstood. I forgot that 7.00 could still roll back but 7.01 could not.

Running this latest firmware I tried turning off the IR's and using my greenback 25 cab instead of my Matrix 2 x 12 cab and I have to say I don't want to go back to that again. It's at such a high standard now it's just a backward step. The new shimmer drive is very special too. Gives a non master vol amp that recto pick attack and drive. Nice mids as well

I know what you mean I'm using a matrix gt1000 into a Marshall 2x12 with vintage 30's and I have the shimmer drive before amp block and optical compressor 2 after the amp block and it's awesome on another level.

XL+ here
Never wanted to roll back firmware. I update each time there's a new release. I do find that each time I have to build new patches from scratch.

End result: I get better at making patches sound the way I want. Win.

I always update too. But I don't build new presets from scratch.
The majority of updates only affect the Amp block, so it's only necessary to re-select the amp block to benefit from any changes. The remaining preset routings are not affected. I have getting towards 100 presets now which I have for live use / specific songs etc. some of which have very complicated layouts, and control features. It would be too much effort to start from scratch each time there's an update. Luckily, it's not a requirement.

For me - Gutted to have lost the ability to roll the modeling firmware version back, this is a feature I use all the time. I do like to move forward and try to use the latest firmware with anything new I create, but love some of the old firmware tones I have too - and after 100's of hours trying, just cant get the tone I'm after with the new modeling version, so I leave well alone.

For me (and I'm possible in the minority here?) I would have really liked to have stuck with Q7 but had the bugs fixed.
I have an XL, and have lots of space left for IR's which I dont need, I recon I only use maybe 25 maximum 30 IR's...And If in future, I may need to swap an IR from my backup/storage on my computer, then its easy to do.

Thinking long term with the product, and with Memory in mind as new firmwares / Amps / Cabs and pedals are introduced, would it be possible to introduce bug fixes and general firmware separate, then amp's cabs and pedals separate, and users upload them from file into the AXE as and when required by the user? After all this is how most things which require digital memory work nowdays :) At least in my domain they do.. Mobile phones, laptops, computers, cameras programs, using apps, photos, videos, music etc

Sorry to put a little bit of a downer on the firmware thread - I do really love this product, but I know I'm going to have to lose some tones which I have worked extremely hard and long for :oops:
I understand completely. This happened to me yesterday. I had to start over. It at the end of the day I'm much happier with my tone than I ever have. Even the entire year and a half I've been a fractal user. The change is well worth it.

Back
Top Bottom