Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 7.01 Firmware Release

Simple solution for some of this:

You don't like the updates, then don't. Stay where you're at. It's not a "gotta do".

'nuf said.

Any tips on tightening up my high gains? Everything is awesome with the new firmware but I can't get my palm mutes as tight as Q6. I've struggled with this on certain updates here and there, is there a magic knob or something I can turn?

Any tips on tightening up my high gains? Everything is awesome with the new firmware but I can't get my palm mutes as tight as Q6. I've struggled with this on certain updates here and there, is there a magic knob or something I can turn?
Could be you not liking the spittiness from the PI updates, turn down the PI bias shift?

I can't believe, what I'm reading here.
Same discussion as we have had a few months ago.

In my opinion, there is no need to switch back to older modeling versions.
The options, to get a perfect sound, are bigger than ever with this firmware 7.xx.

For what other reason should FAS improve the firmware, if not to get better?
Why should they waste their time (and Flash-ROM-storage of MK I/II & XL), cultivating older modeling versions for a very small bunch of users?
I can't find an answer ...

No other (modeler) manufacter gives you the option to switch back within a firmware version.
Are the users of that gear depressed and unhappy users?
No, they aren't!

Please, stop this silly discussion!
It makes no sense!

Thank you!
Mike

i'm having the same issue. All my gain presets have flubby bottom. I put them back to the previous firmware, but it didn't help.

The options, to get a perfect sound, are bigger than ever with this firmware 7.xx.

Why should they waste their time (and Flash-ROM-storage of MK I/II & XL), cultivating older modeling versions for a very small bunch of users?

No other (modeler) manufacter gives you the option to switch back within a firmware version.
No, they aren't!

It makes no sense!

Thank you!
Mike
...And yet you perpetuate the discussion while opining that a differing perspective is "silly." There are a number of great musicians who use the Axe-Fx that enjoyed the option of using other FW because one can rarely get the EXACT tone from a newer set of algorithms (and when this IS possible it rarely happens quickly). As I recall, owners of older models (e.g. Mark II) were the most outspoken because they felt they would be left out in the cold when new changes were offered via future updates. This is my last take on this issue as the Creator has made his decision and I will continue to use this wonderful product. I will also be the first in line to purchase his newest creation whenever he chooses to make the release. However, I will never resort to sycophancy as many on this forum so unbecomingly demonstrate or denigrate another's opinion when it is offered sincerely and respectfully.

Had a rehearsal tonight and I got to tweak my new v7 presets a bit more with a band...what I like most of all in v7 is the 'krannng'....the amps really feel alive and are rude and dynamic like never before. Even the drummer took notice and praised the awesomeness of Qv7 lol...

I seem to hear more of the quirky artifacts that tube amps have (strange resonances/intermodulation distortion, funny weird noises depending on the string/fret, etc.) in Qv7 on some of the amps I've been working with...a lot more of the fine detail and subtleties of the tube amp are being revealed/modeled it appears in this release.

No, they aren't!

It makes no sense!

Thank you!
Mike
I thought Cliff stopped it already at the top of this page!

Since the previous amp model versions have been removed, does that mean all our presets are "updated" - meaning we don't have to switch to another amp model and then switch back to get the Q7.01 sound?

I just want to comment about how much I love the optical drive. Wow. As an aid to practicing sweeps (which I'm not very good at), as an aid to coming up with long singing leads with cleaner tones, this is a tremendous feature. It was SO, SO, SO worth the time spent Cliff! Uhm, I realize the only time EYE spent was to download and install it, but that's because I have excellent luck with picking companies to support (hopefully with senses of humour), even though the politically diverse forum subscribers may not wish to share a hug, which is a fact shocking beyond shocking to me.

Because I've always believed we are all one family in music here. Kimba the White Lion, my Lord, Kimba the White Lion. Oh Lord, Kimba the white lion.

Wait, did I just bring religion into the thread?

I'll leave quickly now.

...what I like most of all in v7 is the 'krannng'

I should add that the 'krannng' I so love is what I used to have to tweak using the advanced parameters to get an amp to bark the way I like; with v7 it's just 'right there' by default.

The only advanced parameter I've been playing with lately is the Negative Feedback on the Marshally amps I'm using; bumping it up a bit can 'clarify' the tone in a way that may be hard/impossible to with the conventional controls and tighten it up. But man, I love the authority of v7 with the default advanced settings...a milestone release it would seem.

the shimmer drive into the wrecker express model and a greenback IR is just everything to me right now, never really liked the trainwreck models before either but theyre just sooOOOOooo good now. really fills out the mix nicely with the tiny terror dimed and boosted

Anytime I want to change my bass response I go to the Amp speaker tab and change my Low frequency. If its on 110 I bring it down to 90 or 80 For starters anyway... My Bass response is really fat and punchy here

Last edited:
A few pages back in the thread I was wondering what the reason behind this comment on Gilmourish was. "There are no rules as to what type of compression you should use for specific amps, guitars or musical styles. It all comes down to taste but I would recommend transistor units for single coils and finger picking and optical units for humbuckers and if you’re using a lot of gain pedals."

A simple check on youtube revealed this:

So, what that quote from Gilmourish may be saying, MAYBE, is that finger picking tends to pop, so optical units that bring out said popping are not advisible? And gainier pedals compensate for the possibly-too-much faithful reproduction of popping, by already smoothing it out further (or earlier?) in the FX chain. Well, I dunno, I'm only reporting what everyone else on social media is saying about optical compressors - NOT.

I did think it was a good intro into the different sounds of compressors, as demoed on the vid, so I thought I would share. (Let it be noted we now have what this pedal offers, the ability to achieve either style of note hosing at the switching of a handy knobickle).

IMHE (Ear) optical comps cut sharp and let more of the uneffected "signal" through, transis takes the edges away, so i hear this smoothie thing as pumping effect with extrem values (in a percussiv playstyle especially with stopped chords)
Sorry for the non-technical approach but i only try to describe what i hear as a musician...

Last edited:
...I, along with many other users, enjoyed this feature and found it extremely helpful in the recording process (i.e. time savings)...

Many other users? So far, including you, two people have spoken up to complain about it. I see the change as being one of those "greatest good for the greatest number" decisions. Yes, there are some people who will be negatively impacted by the decision, but I'd wager that a larger number of people will benefit than be hampered. If having the earlier firmware is critical to your recording process, spend 5 minutes and re-install the FW of your choice.

Back
Top Bottom