Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 7.01 Firmware Release

question about the "latest" firmware being the only one supported in the release notes. I just upgraded both fx to 7.01 and edit to 3.13.1. I just turned on preset 4, and saw that the modelling version parameter was set to Q5.xx. Does this mean
1) This parameter is now useless, as per what the release notes suggests
2) I have to update every preset still by reselecting the amp to get the latest settings
3) I have to update every preset, but perhaps there's a faster way...
or maybe something else?

This is great.
Not content with giving us great amps/effects, Cliff has now decided to squeeze in a version of a $3k+ hardware compressor!
Did not see that one coming.
Thanks!

The new optical compressors are fantastic. Instrument and line level choice is intuitive and forward thinking. Optical 1 on line level after the amp block makes my tones all spanky and punchy. Excellent additions thank you.

Everyone has been talking about Factory cab #149, my axe 2 seems to hold 132 factory cabs, is there any way I can get a hold of that cab?
Sorry for the newbie question.

sounds good. What were your comp settings exactly and did you place it in front or after cab?

Thanks for listening dude :),

COMP: 4.30 or so
Attack: 10.23
Release: 106.48
Auto switch : off

The other parameters is pretty much at noon and I placed it at the end of the route and used ''Line'' for Input level

A few pages back in the thread I was wondering what the reason behind this comment on Gilmourish was. "There are no rules as to what type of compression you should use for specific amps, guitars or musical styles. It all comes down to taste but I would recommend transistor units for single coils and finger picking and optical units for humbuckers and if you’re using a lot of gain pedals."

A simple check on youtube revealed this:

So, what that quote from Gilmourish may be saying, MAYBE, is that finger picking tends to pop, so optical units that bring out said popping are not advisible? And gainier pedals compensate for the possibly-too-much faithful reproduction of popping, by already smoothing it out further (or earlier?) in the FX chain. Well, I dunno, I'm only reporting what everyone else on social media is saying about optical compressors - NOT.

I did think it was a good intro into the different sounds of compressors, as demoed on the vid, so I thought I would share. (Let it be noted we now have what this pedal offers, the ability to achieve either style of note hosing at the switching of a handy knobickle).

Last edited:
WHOA! I can't WAIT to see what this shimmer drive is all about. I'm assuming it's the voodoo labs sparkle drive? I read shimmer and for a split second thought reverb was the next word. O well... Sparkle drive is probably one of my absolute favorite OD's though. Hope we see the Giggity soon too... AWESOME tone shaper. or someday, if my prince comes... if at all even possible.. the Steel String Black Box preamp would probably be the best addition we could ever have in the axe fx. I'd give up all the drives just for the addition of the black box. Of course, who am I. But just to give you an idea of how much I covet that piece of gear. drooool. :x

WHOA! I can't WAIT to see what this shimmer drive is all about. I'm assuming it's the voodoo labs sparkle drive? I read shimmer and for a split second thought reverb was the next word. O well... Sparkle drive is probably one of my absolute favorite OD's though. Hope we see the Giggity soon too... AWESOME tone shaper. or someday, if my prince comes... if at all even possible.. the Steel String Black Box preamp would probably be the best addition we could ever have in the axe fx. I'd give up all the drives just for the addition of the black box. Of course, who am I. But just to give you an idea of how much I covet that piece of gear. drooool. :x
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...ev-7-01-firmware-release.125328/#post-1491304

question about the "latest" firmware being the only one supported in the release notes. I just upgraded both fx to 7.01 and edit to 3.13.1. I just turned on preset 4, and saw that the modelling version parameter was set to Q5.xx. Does this mean
1) This parameter is now useless, as per what the release notes suggests
2) I have to update every preset still by reselecting the amp to get the latest settings
3) I have to update every preset, but perhaps there's a faster way...
or maybe something else?
All of that modeling version stuff is gone.

Cliff C:
"The engineers overlooked removing it from AE. It will be removed in the next version."

Somewhere back there CC stated that the Spkl Drv was something he made up--not directly based on anything.

jeez I'm going to have to wait before I get to play with this one…
playing HRH Prog tomorrow…
next week though I'll be loading this one up..
looking forward to it hugely..

Love the update! the new drive and compressors are being added to several of my goto presets. :)

Thanks Cliff! and FAS team

Loving Optical 1 compressor at the end of the chain. It seems to warms up the spanky clean models quite nicely. Combined with the new JCM 34 model it totally gave me a war boner.

NOTE: Due to the overwhelmingly positive response to Quantum 7.00 support for previous modeling versions has been eliminated. This frees up memory for new features (like the new compressor types), new amps, new cabs and more.

The possibilities for future updates...

"Excited" isn't the word... !!!!!!!!!!! xD *becomes The Mask*

Pretty excited to try the comps. I'm assuming one of them will get me in the ballpark of my old diamond comp....my fav comp of all time and an always on staple on my analog boards.

For me - Gutted to have lost the ability to roll the modeling firmware version back, this is a feature I use all the time. I do like to move forward and try to use the latest firmware with anything new I create, but love some of the old firmware tones I have too - and after 100's of hours trying, just cant get the tone I'm after with the new modeling version, so I leave well alone.

For me (and I'm possible in the minority here?) I would have really liked to have stuck with Q7 but had the bugs fixed.
I have an XL, and have lots of space left for IR's which I dont need, I recon I only use maybe 25 maximum 30 IR's...And If in future, I may need to swap an IR from my backup/storage on my computer, then its easy to do.

Thinking long term with the product, and with Memory in mind as new firmwares / Amps / Cabs and pedals are introduced, would it be possible to introduce bug fixes and general firmware separate, then amp's cabs and pedals separate, and users upload them from file into the AXE as and when required by the user? After all this is how most things which require digital memory work nowdays :) At least in my domain they do.. Mobile phones, laptops, computers, cameras programs, using apps, photos, videos, music etc

Sorry to put a little bit of a downer on the firmware thread - I do really love this product, but I know I'm going to have to lose some tones which I have worked extremely hard and long for :oops:
I could not agree more! I'm beginning to wonder why I paid the extra money for this XL+! Perhaps we should've been more vocal like the MK II players.

Back
Top Bottom