Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 7.00 Public Beta

I have to do a sleep study tonight - so it should drop right when they get all the sensors hooked up and I'm browsing the web trying to get sleepy.

I have to do a sleep study tonight - so it should drop right when they get all the sensors hooked up and I'm browsing the web trying to get sleepy.
I'd never be able to fall asleep knowing someone is watching me, plus the added pressure of knowing I'm supposed to fall asleep.
Then the thoughts of, "I'm doing it all wrong, I don't even know how to sleep properly.."

Since installing Q7b the only way I can get stereo output is through a delay block. As soon as I turn off the delay I get silence. The only way to get the (now mono) signal back is to turn the Mix parameter down in the Delay Block, even though it's off. Owned. :confused:

Since installing Q7b the only way I can get stereo output is through a delay block. As soon as I turn off the delay I get silence. The only way to get the (now mono) signal back is to turn the Mix parameter down in the Delay Block, even though it's off. Owned. :confused:
Sorry, a little off topic, but I'll take a shot at this, though no guarantee I understand you, and I don't have the unit in front of me.
1) When you say you only get stereo output under those conditions, do you mean you hear both channels, but in mono? That's how an amp will usually sound without a stereo FX in a block in your chain. Or do you mean coming out of just one side of your monitors?
2) The thru settings in the Axe FX blocks, such as the delay block, are very interesting, and even though there are not that many to memorize, I still haven't. Since the delay block is bypassed, then with the present setting of your block, when you are turning the mix parameter down you are hearing more of the non-delay signal (which is the only signal present since the delay block is bypassed). If you have the Bypass Mode of the delay block to MUTE FX OUT, then that will do that. You can also set it to THRU, or MUTE OUT. I usually use THRU for single chains, without parallel routing. When I use parallel routing, I set those blocks' bypass modes to one of the other settings, such as MUTE FX OUT, or MUTE OUT. Thanks Dr. Peterson.

See about 8:20 into the vid.

[By parallel routing I mean the typical scenario, For e.g. I want to have a row other than my primary row the my amp and cab, used like a mixer fx send return (where you set the mix within the FX on that row to 100%, and adjust the return level on the mixer, or in the Axe FX, you adjust those one or more block's FX level knobs with their mix set to full.]

Axe Wiki is back online (it was down for a bit just now). So here:

Effect Bypass modes
  • From the manual:
    • MUTE IN: when the block is bypassed, its inputs are muted, silencing the both wet and dry but allowing effect “tails” to ring out or “spill over”. Use this for time-based effects in parallel.
    • MUTE OUT: when the block is bypassed, all audio is totally silenced at the outputs. Effect tails are silenced immediately, but the input is still “listening” so tails may be heard when you engage the effect.
    • MUTE FX IN: when the block is bypassed, the inputs of its internal processor are muted, but the dry is unaffected. This allows effect “tails” to ring. LEVEL and BALANCE controls continue to operate when the block is bypassed. Use this for time-based effects in series when you want spillover.
    • MUTE FX OUT: when the block is bypassed, the outputs of its internal processor are pulled, but dry signal is totally unaffected. With this setting, signals can enter a reverb or delay before it is engaged.
    • MUTE: when the block is bypassed, both wet and dry are totally silenced.
    • THRU: when bypassed, the block is completely disengaged. None of its parameters have any effect on the sound; it behaves exactly as if it were never there in the first place.

Last edited:
Sorry, a little off topic, but I'll take a shot at this, though no guarantee I understand you, and I don't have the unit in front of me.
1) When you say you only get stereo output under those conditions, do you mean you hear both channels, but in mono? That's how an amp will usually sound without a stereo FX in a block in your chain. Or do you mean coming out of just one side of your monitors?
2) The thru settings in the Axe FX blocks, such as the delay block, are very interesting, and even though there are not that many to memorize, I still haven't. Since the delay block is bypassed, then with the present setting of your block, when you are turning the mix parameter down you are hearing more of the non-delay signal (which is the only signal present since the delay block is bypassed). If you have the Bypass Mode of the delay block to MUTE FX OUT, then that will do that. You can also set it to THRU, or MUTE OUT. I usually use THRU for single chains, without parallel routing. When I use parallel routing I set those blocks' bypass modes to one of the other settings, such as MUTE FX OUT, or MUTE OUT. Thanks Dr. Peterson.

See about 8:20 into the vid.

Axe Wiki is back online (it was down for a bit just now). So here:

Effect Bypass modes
  • From the manual:
    • MUTE IN: when the block is bypassed, its inputs are muted, silencing the both wet and dry but allowing effect “tails” to ring out or “spill over”. Use this for time-based effects in parallel.
    • MUTE OUT: when the block is bypassed, all audio is totally silenced at the outputs. Effect tails are silenced immediately, but the input is still “listening” so tails may be heard when you engage the effect.
    • MUTE FX IN: when the block is bypassed, the inputs of its internal processor are muted, but the dry is unaffected. This allows effect “tails” to ring. LEVEL and BALANCE controls continue to operate when the block is bypassed. Use this for time-based effects in series when you want spillover.
    • MUTE FX OUT: when the block is bypassed, the outputs of its internal processor are pulled, but dry signal is totally unaffected. With this setting, signals can enter a reverb or delay before it is engaged.
    • MUTE: when the block is bypassed, both wet and dry are totally silenced.
    • THRU: when bypassed, the block is completely disengaged. None of its parameters have any effect on the sound; it behaves exactly as if it were never there in the first place.

Awesome video @jesussaddle. I'll try some parallel routing. It's always good to know the 'why' (at least for me personal).

While I think I've gotten on top of my particular problem (user error/stupidity), I had no idea about the Bypass modes, I've always just used THRU and juggled volumes all the time. This, after how many years of Axe Fx ownership? Slow learner... :coldsweat:
Theres so much to learn. What baffles me is that while it takes so long to learn it for us , Cliff and co are so far ahead seeing a problem or a situation and programming it all in years in advance.

Awesome video @jesussaddle. I'll try some parallel routing. It's always good to know the 'why' (at least for me personal).
Scott Peterson's video really clarified this whole thing - the reasons for all the Bypass options, all the possible variations in setting up routing, pretty much the whole picture. There are a lot of other great videos. Its not that easy to see them all in a Youtube search. You won't find this one of Scott's unless you search for Parallel routing. But IMHO it could as well be titled something like, Basic Tutorial for Routing and Signal Flow Possibilities in the Axe FX.

BTW, Historical question for aficionados:

How many times has Cliff & Fractal Team released a beta, then skipped releasing the final for that, and upped the number to the next Firmware (Say, From Firmware 7 to 8 perhaps...- just hoping); I think its happened at least once, but I could be wrong.

Last edited:
Scott Peterson's video really clarified this whole thing - the reasons for all the Bypass options, all the possible variations in setting up routing, pretty much the whole picture. There are a lot of other great videos. Its not that easy to see them all in a Youtube search. You won't find this one of Scott's unless you search for Parallel routing. But IMHO it could as well be titled something like, Basic Tutorial for Routing and Signal Flow Possibilities in the Axe FX.

BTW, Historical question for aficionados:

How many times has Cliff & Fractal Team released a beta, then skipped releasing the final for that, and upped the number to the next Firmware (Say, From Firmware 7 to 8 perhaps...- just hoping); I think its happened at least once, but I could be wrong.

I think the scenario of skipping a release from beta to a brand NEW fw rev number has happened before.

NAMM is to blame! Isn't today the last day? I would love to go. My buddy Marzi always gets to go because of his endorsements. I was thinking there would be brand new firmware just for NAMM. After NAMM firmware? Well maybe FAS is going to be tired afterWard.
Look at me! I'm going insane for the firmware!

hell, I thought the Diezels already kicked serious ass...
The secret of the Diezel Sound seemed to be decrypted........at least there is more secrect sauce?

I ´ve never been absolut satisfied with the VH4 in the Axe, I have played modified Marshalls and a VH4 Stereo for a couple of years.

I´m exited what cliff has changed at the Diezel.s

Last edited:
The secret of the Diezel Sound seemed to be decrypted........at least there is more secrect sauce?

I ´ve never been absolut satisfied with the VH4 in the Axe, I have played modified Marshalls and a VH4 for a couple of years.

I´m exited what cliff has changed at the Diezel.s

I'm sure cliff still has technical hurdles to get over. But they take time to figure out.

Back
Top Bottom