Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 7.00 Public Beta

Does everyone here always reset the amp block in their presets after a major firmware update like this one, or is that only for certain updates?

I normally reselect the amp in the Amp block so that I keep all my normal setting such as BMT etc. I only tweak about 2 advanced parameters so I know what to check for afterwards.

I like this because sometimes Cliff adjusts other parameters to work better with the update, and I like to get the full benefit of the update if I can.

I don't do a full Amp block reset, that would take me too much time to dial my sounds back in but that's me being lazy.

Yes, funny thing is that I never like it that much previously. Not because of the model, just for what it is.
It became my choice after auditioning a lot of clean amp models recently, it meets all my criteria: :)
  • non-master volume, simple controls
  • no compression
  • in-your-face attack
  • works (same settings) with single coils and buckers
  • great for clean (drive at 5) and broken clean (drive at 9)
  • great with drive models
  • sounds great through greenbacks
Interessting - couldn´t dial into this doubleverb-tone with Humbuckers....which cab do you use ? also the factory single Mic IR´s ?

I´m missing the sparkle Highs at the Deluxe Reverb (Vibrochannel), but I got no experience with the real amp.

Interessting - couldn´t dial into this doubleverb-tone with Humbuckers....which cab do you use ? also the factory single Mic IR´s ?

I´m missing the sparkle Highs at the Deluxe Reverb (Vibrochannel), but I got no experience with the real amp.

Cab can change. Currently #54 when I use a stock cab. I stick to a single cab in most of my presets. If not, I'd use #21 with the DV.

DV stock settings, except Bass at 2-3.

For sparkling highs I need to use my strat or tele.

Cab can change. Currently #54 when I use a stock cab. I stick to a single cab in most of my presets. If not, I'd use #21 with the DV.

DV stock settings, except Bass at 2-3.

For sparkling highs I need to use my strat or tele.
I see this comment a lot: "stock settings". Are these the settings after resetting the amp block or the factory-preset settings?

OK, i have FW 6.02. you guys have me convinced. :p It's driving me nuts. Time to go 7.0!
So for the record, should we be running Axe-Edit 3.12.3 when we install 7.0b? :confused:

Loving 7beta.

Is there a list of all the non MV amps that I could checkout so I can jump through and try them out?
Just one amp a day for a few hundred days. Or, just get it done this evening, in one sitting. load a template. Switch to the first amp. Check if MV shows "10". Write down yes/no in Open office spreadsheet. Go to second amp. Yawn.

Wake up at foot of Axe FX the next morning, wondering where the dream about the blue turtles came from.

I actually had the same request though. It would be a GREAT list now that this firmware is out. But after what Cliff said, me thinks I should go to each MV amp, and try pushing the MV a little bit just to see what coloration happens; could be just as cool.

With so many sounds and possibilities, my resolution right now is focus more on completed music to share.

Does everyone here always reset the amp block in their presets after a major firmware update like this one, or is that only for certain updates?

I always do whenever there have been changes made to the Amp modeling, just to see if any parameter's default values have been altered and not mentioned in the release notes. I then A/B test them against the "old" default values to see if I like the sound of the Amp better with the new settings or not.

For instance, after resetting the USA IIC++ Amp model, I found that the "Power Amp Bias" parameter (located close to the very bottom of the Amp block's Advanced page) default value had changed from a setting of - 0.100 to 0.050. The tone seemed slightly brighter and more open with the new bias value, and slightly warmer and more compressed with the old. It's a subtle difference and I'm not sure which I prefer yet, as I had been playing for at least an hour before doing the comparison and knew not to trust whatever my ears were telling me sounded better. :D The point is, the Power Amp Bias parameter's new default value didn't load when the firmware was updated and I wouldn't have known about it if I hadn't reset the Amp model. So it's always a good idea to reset, to be sure you're hearing the latest modeling as intended.

After resetting some of the other USA amp models, I found that their Power Amp Bias default values also changed from - 0.100 to 0.050. I don't know about any of the other Amp models in the Axe-Fx, but I doubt it's just the USA sims that have a new default setting.

I should also mention that, as per usual, the "Preamp Tube Type" parameter (also located towards the bottom of the Amp block's Advanced page) resets to it's default type when the new firmware is loaded. If you have that parameter altered in any of your patches, you'll have to change it back to your preferred tube type and re-save the patch.

Last edited:
Just one amp a day for a few hundred days. Or, just get it done this evening, in one sitting. load a template. Switch to the first amp. Check if MV shows "10". Write down yes/no in Open office spreadsheet. Go to second amp. Yawn.

Wake up at foot of Axe FX the next morning, wondering where the dream about the blue turtles came from.

I actually had the same request though. It would be a GREAT list now that this firmware is out. But after what Cliff said, me thinks I should go to each MV amp, and try pushing the MV a little bit just to see what coloration happens; could be just as cool.

No need to ... The Guide to the Fractal Audio Amp models lists for each amp model if it's a MV or non-MV amp.

i usually copy x into y and reset y. make sure mv and pres are the same (as well as any other tweaks) and then compare. it doesn't seem to have been necessary the last few updates, so i haven't bothered.

With so many sounds and possibilities, my resolution right now is focus more on completed music to share.

No guarantees of perfection, but here is a list I made from Yek's amp guide.

I loaded the beta right before practice last night. I quickly went through and re selected the amps and then leveled the presets. EVERY patch seemed to fit more easily into the mix. I have NO idea how Cliff keeps making it consistently better!

Back
Top Bottom